Yeti GOBOX Collection

Jet Sled

Fremont15

Does anybody have experience dragging a jet sled into the back country to help get an elk/deer out and pack in supplies? Just wondering how practical this is, especially if there’s no or minimal snow.

I’ve packed out elk quarters in an otter sled. When there’s enough snow cover it works great. If you don’t have enough snow, don’t have much of a trail, or are dealing with brush and deadfall it’s miserable.

If you have the extra runners attached to the bottom it helps. Still better with some snow!

It works alright if there’s plenty of snow, and if you never have to go uphill. I still take it but have learned that most of the time it’s just going to stay in the truck. Just buy snow shoes.

Thanks for the input guys. Where I hunt the pack out is downhill and there’s a trail to my spike camp. I thought of it last year during a miserable solo pack out and probly gonna give it a try this year.

Critter Carts that my dad and I made. Sure work good. Brakes sure come in handy too. 3 miles with this spike bull whole.

1594089487520.png

Another Spike bull whole on our Critter cart.
1594089787743.png

Our son's posing with my father's antelope. I've wheeled 3 antelope whole by myself in terrain such as this, no problem. It is made for two people though.
1594089844956.png

My son and I the rear halves on the game cart and the front shoulders and tenderloins in our packs. It was the young man facing the camera's first elk and first big-game animal. One shot 250 yards with a 25-06.

1594090073243.png

Another large cow whole on the Critter Cart! Really saved us a lot of work. I tried to find some pictures of a large heavy duty black sled that is designed to be used trapping and pulling behind a snowmobile, but I can't seem to find them. It's more what you guys are talking about and it sure works slick. I've taken quite a few elk out whole on it. Not for steep uphills it is not made but there are many times you can use them.

1594090386485.png

Critter Carts that my dad and I made. Sure work good. Brakes sure come in handy too. 3 miles with this spike bull whole.

View attachment 146055

Another Spike bull whole on our Critter cart.
View attachment 146056

Our son's posing with my father's antelope. I've wheeled 3 antelope whole by myself in terrain such as this, no problem. It is made for two people though.
View attachment 146057

My son and I the rear halves on the game cart and the front shoulders and tenderloins in our packs. It was the young man facing the camera's first elk and first big-game animal. One shot 250 yards with a 25-06.

View attachment 146058

Another large cow whole on the Critter Cart! Really saved us a lot of work. I tried to find some pictures of a large heavy duty black sled that is designed to be used trapping and pulling behind a snowmobile, but I can't seem to find them. It's more what you guys are talking about and it sure works slick. I've taken quite a few elk out whole on it. Not for steep uphills it is not made but there are many times you can use them.

View attachment 146059
Those carts would be pretty handy! Unfortunately for some stupid reason they are illegal in a wilderness area. As if they leave any more of a footprint on the landscape than strings of horses.

Reactions: JAG
If you google "roll up big game sled" you will find several places that sell a black plastic sled that you roll up and is very portable. Cabelas's used to sell two sizes : one for deer, and another one that was larger. I have used these for deer dozens of times on snow and dry ground. You basically lay the animal on it, and lash it up making a plastic torpedo. I used one to haul out a cow elk in New Mexico alone ( About a mile with patchy snow). I have hunted states where you are not allowed to quarter an animal in the field. I carried one of these in my back pack. With a little ingenuity, elk quarters could certainly be skidded out with one or two of these sleds.

20171023_153917.jpg

Wilderness, no wheeled instruments & w/o pack animals, this beats the hell out of multiple pack trips.
We have flat webbing straps diagonal, over one shoulder under the other arm that we use to pull.

It works great on trails. Off trail... side tipping can be a bit of a PITA - again though, excluding downfall, better than multiple pack treks.

Only area that buggered up on trails, sliding through mud. Super easy short term then the mud turns almost a binding agent once back on the dry trail. It dissipates quickly though PITA for that short, suction pull.
Snow? I'm giddy w/ joy after pulling on dry trails. 🙂

Basically, it sucks LESS than multiple pack treks if you don't mind being your own mule.

I have a large pack sled. A nice alternative to reduced treks though unless on trails or reasonably smooth terrain / frequent game trails to slide, pack sleds are a ROYAL PITA. Easily prone to frequent tip over.
Trails, especially wilderness eroded pack animals trails, they work great, for a packable sled. Must spend the time on weight/bulk placement to reduce tipover.
They're more slick (slide easier) than jet sleds though sleds don't tip near as often. Nice option if you don't mind the extra pack weight.

If you google "roll up big game sled" you will find several places that sell a black plastic sled that you roll up and is very portable. Cabelas's used to sell two sizes : one for deer, and another one that was larger. I have used these for deer dozens of times on snow and dry ground. You basically lay the animal on it, and lash it up making a plastic torpedo. I used one to haul out a cow elk in New Mexico alone ( About a mile with patchy snow). I have hunted states where you are not allowed to quarter an animal in the field. I carried one of these in my back pack. With a little ingenuity, elk quarters could certainly be skidded out with one or two of these sleds.
Hold up reasonably well to abuse from rocks and the like? The hospitals I worked at previously had something kind of similar for transporting patients in the event of a disaster, even had rigging to be able to slide them down stairs safely.

I have been using the Cabela's version of a large Jet sled for just this purpose about 6 years now and many of the points mentioned are spot on. 1) Not useful for steep uphills or unless you have fairly smooth terrain/trails 2) I find it awesome if there is some snow and mild terrain (especially downhill)- I pulled a HUGE cow out about 1-5 miles gentle downhill on 1-2 inch of snow and it was QUICK. 3) You need to have some sort of harness/longer rope setup for pulling. I went with some good climbing rope and carabiners. 4) The rougher the terrain (and lack of snow) you will wear out the bottom of the sled quicker. Mine has a couple of wear holes and is about to be retired.

I have been using the Cabela's version of a large Jet sled for just this purpose about 6 years now and many of the points mentioned are spot on. 1) Not useful for steep uphills or unless you have fairly smooth terrain/trails 2) I find it awesome if there is some snow and mild terrain (especially downhill)- I pulled a HUGE cow out about 1-5 miles gentle downhill on 1-2 inch of snow and it was QUICK. 3) You need to have some sort of harness/longer rope setup for pulling. I went with some good climbing rope and carabiners. 4) The rougher the terrain (and lack of snow) you will wear out the bottom of the sled quicker. Mine has a couple of wear holes and is about to be retired.

You can buy replaceable runners to bolt underneath. I put them on from the start and it slides great! Less ground friction than the whole sled.

I have a large pack sled. A nice alternative to reduced treks though unless on trails or reasonably smooth terrain / frequent game trails to slide, pack sleds are a ROYAL PITA. Easily prone to frequent tip over.
Trails, especially wilderness eroded pack animals trails, they work great, for a packable sled. Must spend the time on weight/bulk placement to reduce tipover.
They're more slick (slide easier) than jet sleds though sleds don't tip near as often. Nice option if you don't mind the extra pack weight.

How much weight can you drag in one of those, like 8-10 mile pack out on a trail what's reasonable?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back