Jet boat considerations

Baerman

I'm considering picking up a jet boat for steelhead/salmon fishing that is also well rounded for flat water fishing of all types. I think I've narrowed my search to the Willie Raptor, Alumaweld Super Vee/Columbia or North River Scout. Ideally the main motor has a prop with jet conversion and it includes a kicker. I really want the Garmin Reactor and fish finder equipment.

Any input from those who have experience with these types of boats? What should I consider and be aware of?

I owned all three until last year when we sold the lodge in Alaska. Actually had 16 boats. Between the Raptor and the scout it boils down to who gives you the best deal. I ran those boats for more than 20 years, the alumawelds went to our rookie guides. I give the edge to the North river scout for tracking when you're pulling plugs or side drifting. I like the Raptor for shooting around a corner in six inches of water and putting the boat between two boulders kind of thing. Our two Alumawelds all had busted welds under the deck.
You should also look at Wooldridge. Not a better boat made but you'll pay for it.
We only had one of those and I ran it.
Have fun, buy plenty horse power, particularly if you're going to run the Deschuttes. If you're only fishing one weekend a month kind of thing, Alumaweld will serve just fine. If you're going to work out of it go with the others.

I have an 18’ north river mariner with a 200 HP Yamaha jet. Boat has been wonderful as a family boat, hunting boat, fishing etc. I’ve replaced the floor and some random stuff but considering it is 31 years old.. they are basically indestructible. I have never put a prop unit on it though I’d like to have one. I do have a 10hp 4 stroke kicker but I don’t use it that much.
I don’t know how much work it really is to change lower units but if you don’t have a hydraulic jack plate (I don’t) I think either the prop
Or the jet would be slightly out of trim
Most of the time. Personally I’ve been fine with the jet unit alone even at 6,800 feet where I use it the most, but for sure I’d get the biggest motor I could. My 200HP is none too big.

My two cents, skip the Garmin reactor and get you a good bow mount trolling motor. Use the kicker for thrust, and use the bow mount auto pilot for steering. Way more bank for your buck...

Just remember you lose about 40% with a jet.
I would look in an inboard. Duckworth is very good.
I had an 18-foot Hewescraft for 20 years it had a 200 inboard but it was only a single-stage jet quick and nimble, but if you run "whitewater" you want a two-stage.

My two cents, skip the Garmin reactor and get you a good bow mount trolling motor. Use the kicker for thrust, and use the bow mount auto pilot for steering. Way more bank for your buck...
This is interesting as I've seen some boats with this set up and assumed it was for the purpose you have stated. This would work well on flat water but what about a river with some current, not talking white water obviously.

I owned all three until last year when we sold the lodge in Alaska. Actually had 16 boats. Between the Raptor and the scout it boils down to who gives you the best deal. I ran those boats for more than 20 years, the alumawelds went to our rookie guides. I give the edge to the North river scout for tracking when you're pulling plugs or side drifting. I like the Raptor for shooting around a corner in six inches of water and putting the boat between two boulders kind of thing. Our two Alumawelds all had busted welds under the deck.
You should also look at Wooldridge. Not a better boat made but you'll pay for it.
We only had one of those and I ran it.
Have fun, buy plenty horse power, particularly if you're going to run the Deschuttes. If you're only fishing one weekend a month kind of thing, Alumaweld will serve just fine. If you're going to work out of it go with the others.
Good info, thank you! I would mostly, at least initially use it on the Clearwater and Columbia. Maybe at some point I would get comfortable with some rapids but I'm getting more conservative as I get older...and the wife might kill me if the rapids didn't. I think the Raptor has a wider beam, which would be nice with a few folks fishing in the boat. I'll lean away from Alumaweld, thanks for your advice based on personal experience!

I used my Woodridge Alaskan 20’with 90HP Honda jet in the Yukon River and the small streams
The boat is light enough and with the 90HP jet easily goes over 2” to 3 “ of water on step. And easily pushed off if needed . I started with 150/105 jet Merc but the weight made my tail end heavy. The lighter 90HP performed much better and easier on gas too . Their is a happy medium too much motor to boat weight .

Last edited:
I have a 20’ Wooldridge Alaskan II. 225 Optimax outboard with a jet head.
I always put the maximum power head on. There is no replacement for displacement. Buy once, cry once. Wooldridge boats do not loose much value on resale.
OB jet conversion will result in about 30% decrease in listed hp.
I can load it up with endless gear and crap for hunting, blast the shallows, fish, pull kids in tubes and waterski behind it. Great all around utilitarian aluminum boat.

Attachments

• DD883CD9-84BB-437A-910A-E10B6C90E935.jpeg
    DD883CD9-84BB-437A-910A-E10B6C90E935.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
This is interesting as I've seen some boats with this set up and assumed it was for the purpose you have stated. This would work well on flat water but what about a river with some current, not talking white water obviously.

I believe your boat control will be far superior using the bow mount to steer, even more so with current. Think of pulling a boat with a rope from the bow vs. pushing it from the transom, pulling it toward you leads to a straight line much easier IMO and experience. I had the predecessor to Garmin Reactor (TR-1 Gold) before my current setup. It worked well but the wind definitely blew me around and it was hard to "track" in a straight line with only the kicker steering from the rear. The downside is, you will need room for 2-3 batteries depending on if you go with a 24v or 36v system

We looked at a Hewescraft 2021 river runner and the reviews seemed impressive though to speak as if I know anything river related for boats, I've not a clue. However, for what its worth, here is the 2023 Hewescraft River Runner.

We looked at a Hewescraft 2021 river runner and the reviews seemed impressive though to speak as if I know anything river related for boats, I've not a clue. However, for what its worth, here is the 2023 Hewescraft River Runner.

These are really nice boats. I would definitely look at these closer but I am leaning towards a sled like configuration. The sled allows people to cast, fight fish 360 degrees and just seems like the most efficient use of space. The only downfall that I can see is not having a window and canopy to protect a guy from nasty weather. I have found some bimini covers with front and side panels to provide some protection if we feel like we need that down the road.

I think you should get that Hewescraft though!

I have a 20’ Wooldridge Alaskan II. 225 Optimax outboard with a jet head.
I always put the maximum power head on. There is no replacement for displacement. Buy once, cry once. Wooldridge boats do not loose much value on resale.
OB jet conversion will result in about 30% decrease in listed hp.
I can load it up with endless gear and crap for hunting, blast the shallows, fish, pull kids in tubes and waterski behind it. Great all around utilitarian aluminum boat.
how does the flat hull ride in chop compared to a v-hull?

These are really nice boats. I would definitely look at these closer but I am leaning towards a sled like configuration. The sled allows people to cast, fight fish 360 degrees and just seems like the most efficient use of space. The only downfall that I can see is not having a window and canopy to protect a guy from nasty weather. I have found some bimini covers with front and side panels to provide some protection if we feel like we need that down the road.

I think you should get that Hewescraft though!
We picked up a Hewescraft sea runner, thanks to the help of a few here and the research wife required. :) It's pretty enjoyable. We scuba, fish, etc from it.

Best with your selection!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back