Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Dehydrator

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Oven

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
By wet I meant the weight before it is dried. Not actually wet.
Got it. I know some folks use a marinade with soy sauce or other things for their flavorings. Anything like that could get messy in the oven without something under them. The High Mountain stuff I use actually gets quite tacky after it sits in the fridge for a day.

Got it. I know some folks use a marinade with soy sauce or other things for their flavorings. Anything like that could get messy in the oven without something under them. The High Mountain stuff I use actually gets quite tacky after it sits in the fridge for a day.
Yup I do both kinds the marinade does get messy. Garlic pepper has always been my favorite hi mountain but my cousin made a batch of Cajun style the other day and it was great.

Cajun here as well, with at least double the recommended amount of spice mix.
Yah ive gotten written down I think 8 teaspoons for every 2lbs which I think is like half again or more than what they call for. If you go what they call for seems like you barely get a hint of the seasoning.

I'm not going to make any this year. Only able to get one deer last season and there just isn't enough to make "treats" with.

I'm not going to make any this year. Only able to get one deer last season and there just isn't enough to make "treats" with.
I'll probably get creamed here but there's always a half of steer and at least 1 pig in the freezer. So most of our deer except backstraps and all of our geese usually go into "treats" jerky, sticks and summer sausage. With three boys and myself we burn through a lot of it though. Plus I gift a good bit of it. Ducks though, those are for cookin!

I mostly dehydrate mine using ground meat and my Jerky gun. I don't use stake meat for Jerky...too good to turn into dried meat😉

Plastic wrap, a rolling pin and a pizza cutter!
I use 1 gal bags. 1 lb shakes out perfectly in a that bag for desired thickness, ymmv. I couldn't find the rolling pin so I used a silo of Miller lite. I've found that a meat cleaver is also way faster than the pizza cutter.

I use 1 gal bags. 1 lb shakes out perfectly in a that bag for desired thickness, ymmv. I couldn't find the rolling pin so I used a silo of Miller lite. I've found that a meat cleaver is also way faster than the pizza cutter.
That way you can stack the bags in the fridge over night without any mess.

I've used a recipe that involved a red wine (select your favor) small bucket, etc.

I place a lined pan and flip it to about 160* for 4 hours with the oven door cracked open. Remov

Something similar to this:

No pro here, but I've had great success with Hi Mountain seasonings. Often use their cure and sub in my own seasonings. Toothpick method in the oven works well (I think some stranger going by @EYJONAS! Introduced me to that) but I've received higher praise on the stuff I've done on my smoker. Same prep, but I think smoking brings it to another level. I rarely go past 3 hours at 165F. Doesn't last a week, so I'm not real concerned with longevity.

Reading this all tonight, I just thought about this toothpick method. Anyone, instead use a kabob skewer or similar to do multiple pieces spaced for the oven rack to do more jerky at once?

Reading this all tonight, I just thought about this toothpick method. Anyone, instead use a kabob skewer or similar to do multiple pieces spaced for the oven rack to do more jerky at once?
Tried it once. Never again. Seems simple, but once you have the slices on the skewer it is a PITA to get them down into the individual slots in the rack while dangling from the skewer. The handles take up space as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back