• Dehydrator

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Oven

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

WildWill

So how do you like your jerky? I've done it every which way and smoking is by far my favorite. For you smokers what's your favorite wood to use? I normally use hickory but picked up some mesquite last trip to Texas to give a try.

Tried the smoker last year for the first 2hr then moved to dehydrator. I'll stick with just the dehydrator from now on.
As much as I love smoked meats, I don't care for my jerky to taste that way

I just use the oven. Handy and close to my recliner! Toothpicks help hang LOTS of strips.
This is typically my route as well. Not only is it a good means to make a batch of Jerky it also creates the best house Jerky potpourri, regardless other occupant opinions. :)

Been using a dehydrator for years. Now have smoker but don't know I'll switch as much as I like smoked meats.

I love mesquite. Hickory is good too. Dehydrator jerky is usually disappointing. Smoker is the way to go.

I don't know. When I put a toothpick through the strips and hang them from the racks I can put a whole lot of jerky in the oven at once.
I usually try to do around 10 to 12 pounds(wet) in a day. Idk maybe I could fit more in an oven than I thought?

Depends on how long the strips are. If you can use 2 racks, one as high as it will go and the other tucked under it to clear the bottom, you can hang plenty of strips in your oven. I may have a picture somewhere. You'll need lots of toothpicks! I reuse them if they don't break once the jerky is done.

I also use High Mountain seasonings, so my meat is not "wet" from any marinades that may drip in the oven.

Depends on how long the strips are. If you can use 2 racks, one as high as it will go and the other tucked under it to clear the bottom, you can hang plenty of strips in your oven. I may have a picture somewhere. You'll need lots of toothpicks! I reuse them if they don't break once the jerky is done.

I also use High Mountain seasonings, so my meat is not "wet" from any marinades that may drip in the oven.
By wet I meant the weight before it is dried. Not actually wet.

I put my dehydrator racks in the smoker for about an hour then finish in the dehydrator. Then mix it 50/50 with unsmoked pieces and vacuum pack. The smoke will flavor all of it but noy over powering

Good thread! Useful info. I dig the toothpick idea (thanks @Dave N ) for hanging meat strips vs my usual limited spacing via laying side by side on the wire shelves

Shit, alright I'm back on the right thread now my dad buys Robertson for everyone at Christmas every year. I tried no man's land sticks when I was traveling through in January, it was good, brought a whole bunch back with me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back