Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Jason Lee's Idaho bear hunt

Ithaca 37

Jason, I'm assuming you're still planning on going in on April 21 and out on April 27.

I'll be in Orofino, ID ( not far from where you'll be) on April 19-22 for some turkey hunting. If you're going to drive thru Orofino on your way to your destination we might just be able to meet somewhere. I'll be staying at the Riverside Motel right on the highway about a mile North of Orofino.

It's been a late Spring this year and is still cold. There was snow in the mountains last nite and I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of snow where you'll be hunting. That has good and bad aspects, but I'd consider them mostly good if it was my bear hunt.

Because it's been so cold I wouldn't be surprised if the bears are coming out of their dens a little later than usual. When they first come out they don't travel far for about ten days, while their feet toughen up. Cold, late Spring means lots of snow and limited grass showing up. That's good for you. It will cut down on areas the bears will likely be in. If they stay in the dens later this year they'll be hungrier than usual. That's good for you. There won't be a lot of grass right by the snow line. That's good for you. Pelts will be in great shape. That's good.

Here's what's bad. Tougher to get around with more snow. Snow might be crusted hard enough to walk on in the AM and then get soft. Don't get trapped far from camp.

What do some of you other guys think Jason will run into?

Good luck on your hunt, Jason! Is this the fly-in hunt you spoke of last fall?

Oak

Ithica its nice to see that you care:D

I am shaving some drive time off my trip by flying into Moose creek from hamilton Montana.

Thanks for all the advise...it might be good hunting it might not be:D Who knows.

I know that theres an outfitter there right now with some clients. and 2 years ago I went this time of the year and we saw bunches of bears, last year we went may 1st and saw a few, so this year I am going in-between those time.

Good luck on your turkey hunt.
Hope you call some in for that farther son team.

The Vet in Orfino went with me in Moose creek two years ago...paul something, cant remember, the outfitter traded some vet work for a spring bear hunt.

Oak this is going to be my yearly tradition...anyone is welcome to come...its public ground and I will try to stear you in the right direction.

The good thig about moose sreek is that you have elevations as low as 2000 feet and as high as 8000 feet. So you can always find some green grass!

Jason!!
When are you leaving your house? I will be back in the area for a couple of weeks.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back