Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Jackson Wyoming First Timer MN Non-Resident Elk Hunters Flub

Sytes

Pretty rough gig and one in the heart of High Horse Hippy $$$ Town, WY.

Rough gig for first timers that literally jumped the gun... and headline news that smacked hunters nationwide.

“Hunter ethics are very important,” Nesvik said. “We do have laws that are based on ethics and fair chase, but you can’t regulate all of it. You’ve got to hope that hunters will do the right thing and be respectful of both the wildlife they’re hunting as well as the rest of the public.”

"One of Nesvik’s employees, warden Jon Stephens, was able to rendezvous with Geringer and his crew while they strategized that evening about how to reach their downed elk. Even though their harvest was legal, he gave them a talking to.
“I chewed on them a little bit for the eyesore that they created,” Stephens said."

That sucks. One of those "Could I" and "Should I" situations. In the heat of the moment, some peoples' brain just shuts down.

This is unfortunate. Have hunted in that unit and takes some homework to hunt there. Amazed that anyone with a knowledge of frigid, moving water thought shooting at an island when have no boat to reach that island was a sound idea. Wanton waste of meat seems applicable.

Meateater attraction.

"The bottom line is that this was legal on all fronts, but the hunters regretted shooting those elk once they'd done it," Gocke said. "People have hunted that area before and have done fine, but we don't necessarily recommend it because it can be difficult logistically. These guys did not have a plan in place to get their meat out, and it wasn't a good look. It seems like they got caught up in the moment and then realized they were in a real predicament."
Gocke hopes that, at the very least, other hunters observe the mistakes that occurred: "There are lessons to be learned here. Hunting, especially with an animal like an elk, is a major logistical operation, and you must have a plan in place for retrieving your meat before you ever head out into the field. There is a legal as well as an ethical obligation to make that happen. These guys should have scouted this area better beforehand and been better prepared before they ever pulled the trigger. It wasn't a good decision."

I would add - before letting the lead/copper fly, re-evaluate. Many unfortunate factors played into this tough setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back