J0hn Day River - Thirtymile to Cottonwood

Worms would work, if you want to go that route. Poppers that create a lot of surface disturbance would be what I'd start out with though, just because I think it's more fun.

There will be lots of pockets of slack water below cliffs to concentrate on, even with the high water.

Worms would work, if you want to go that route. Poppers that create a lot of surface disturbance would be what I'd start out with though, just because I think it's more fun.

There will be lots of pockets of slack water below cliffs to concentrate on, even with the high water.
You think poppers would still work without vis? What about fly poppers?

also, totally going to bring some of the ridiculous bass shit...AKA
or, the always effective
1682706130151.png.. chug norris, which sorta looks like.....

...your Mom!

You think poppers would still work without vis? What about fly poppers?

also, totally going to bring some of the ridiculous bass shit...AKA
or, the always effective
View attachment 273811.. chug norris, which sorta looks like.....

...your Mom!
I doubt visibility will be bad enough close to the banks in the slower sections that Chug Norris wouldn't work. I bet fly poppers would still do okay too. Definitely worth bringing and trying, but maybe keep a can of worms on hand or some stinky little Gulp baits as backup.

I doubt visibility will be bad enough close to the banks in the slower sections that Chug Norris wouldn't work. I bet fly poppers would still do okay too. Definitely worth bringing and trying, but maybe keep a can of worms on hand or some stinky little Gulp baits as backup.
Definitely bringing worms, if for nothing else than trying to catch a catfish at dusk.

The high water will make it tough, don’t be afraid to throw into any flooded grass or brush. Poppers will work.
Keep an eye on your GPS, the daughter, SIL and Grand Daughter did that float last year in high water, shot through so fast they spent an extra day at the takeout. They did see folks catching fish in the eddies. Biggest problem for them was finding campsites and places to to beach.

Anyone got any hot tips on shitters? I've always relied on others but it looks looks like we actually need to buy/ built one this time. @theat @wllm
C’mon man. You know there’s only one shit disposal expert on this forum. The rest are amateurs. 😉

I have no help for you at all, but really looking forward to a story upon your return. Sounds like a great time. Have a safe trip!

Anyone got any hot tips on shitters? I've always relied on others but it looks looks like we actually need to buy/ built one this time. @theat @wllm
If you are going on a lot of trips something like this might be a good investment…

We had a aluminum one growing yup that was great.

If you are going on a lot of trips something like this might be a good investment…

What in the fuq?
Why’s it only rated for 60 uses?
I’d rather burn bags and than spend half a rack on 60 uses. 🤮
Imagine that thing brewing in the sun after 2 days of catfish and coors light.
🤮

If you go the selway route, I’d highly recommend carrying a couple extra o-rings for the pressure relief valve.
I’ve heard tales of them blowing out the day after chilli max night.
It’s similar to the inertia valve on specialized brain suspension.

It has a 60 shit capacity?
Are you supposed to dump it out after 60 uses or throw it away?
Correct 60 uses, so ~ family of 4 for a week with a healthy margin of error.

You empty it when you get back to civ.

Bigger parties would need multiple.

Correct 60 uses, so ~ family of 4 for a week with a healthy margin of error.

You empty it when you get back to civ.

Bigger parties would need multiple.
I just don’t rust that proprietary pressure release valve.
I’d much rather see a standard valve with remote lockouts.

I'm much too cheap for that.

Plus a seat

Ammo can is the go-to diy option

Back