Caribou Gear

J0hn Day River - Thirtymile to Cottonwood

I'm much too cheap for that.

Plus a seat

Ammo can is the go-to diy option
I’d be worried about my wife or kid tipping over… dumb ways to die dad

The shitter is paramount if one wishes to many of these floats. Required on most raft trips that require a permit. NRS and some others sell them. They are called groovers as the original system was a .50 cal / mini gun ammo can and it left grooves in your butt! Anyhoo, the good ones aren't cheap , but well worth it!

The river is still ripping. Be careful in that there canoe...
LOL, just ran the wenatchee yesterday at 18k slapped the bottoms of two bridges in the ole pineapple express... vs the John Day should be down between 5-7k, with a fraction of the froth...

1684798370842.png

The 'gram is a great source for recent river intel. Looks like it's greened up nicely. Temps in the 70-80s. Should be a helluva good time.

Anyone got any hot tips on shitters? I've always relied on others but it looks looks like we actually need to buy/ built one this time. @theat @wllm

looks like it would be a beeotch to tow along while floating to me....

1684863304429.png

So are you going to be riding the boat tied to the back?

Have a wonderful trip!
The bow rider will be on the yak, I'll be in the stern of the canoe where that paddle is.

Apparently ht is full of a bunch of wives...

She's a damn fine sea worthy craft. The more weight the steadier she rides!
#canoeorbust
#rideordie
#pineappleexpress4life
#jolliestbunchofassholesthissideofthemississippi

Wow, that looks a bit crazier than I'd want to do. Just remember, rig to flip! Expect that your canoe will be full of water or even possibly capsize. Make sure all your equipment is tied in really well. Are there enough rafts going with you to take some of that gear? I'm no expert canoeist, but I usually like to have all my drybags and gear as close to the bottom of the boat as possible. Higher center of gravity doesn't work well for me.

Here's a link to the current flow: https://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.248.php
Currently at 5,500 cfs.

We are hoping to get a permit for 6/26 launch date. Taking our 1-yr old daughter along, but we have a much larger floating platform, 16' raft.

Look forward to hearing about your adventure when you return.

The bow rider will be on the yak, I'll be in the stern of the canoe where that paddle is.

Apparently ht is full of a bunch of wives...

She's a damn fine sea worthy craft. The more weight the steadier she rides!
#canoeorbust
#rideordie
#pineappleexpress4life
#jolliestbunchofassholesthissideofthemississippi

#Clampettsgocanoeing

Back