Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ivories in Jewelry

I have had custom elk ivory jewelry made at Toms jewelers in Livingston for my wife and mother. Nice work and good prices.

We still make jewelry from both the Narwhal and Walrus, but we find a growing negative reaction to it on the East coast, Vancouver ( B.C. ). and in the U.S.

Do you or have you ever experienced any negative reactions to Elk Ivory Jewelry in the U.S. ? Can you sell your ivory jewelry ?
I wonder if any woman would ACTUALLY like elk teeth jewelry? Especially a non-hunting woman. My wife would throw it in the garbage and I'd be sleeping on the couch if I gave her that for Christmas/birthday.

Many non hunting females wear it in Canada and Greenland, but, many Canadian and Greenland women still wear fur also. It always makes me smile to see a woman wearing leather shoes and holding a leather purse, criticizing women who wear fur and ivory.

Here are a couple ideas. The same question was asked in the taxidermy forum.

What do you do with all those Ivories? I saved most of them, but really don't know what to do.

I did make a set into decorations for a pocket watch fob and a "His and Hers" set of rings...

4B46FF12-4F64-495C-B31B-AB6B9A70279C.jpegCD59C997-945F-4714-B07B-B9F9CC9868E0.jpeg

booklistindian-9737.jpg

she didn't seem to mind 'em....

booklistindian-9737.jpg

she didn't seem to mind 'em....
Todays "Wok" crowd would not know what to do with Brenda Schad if she was still modeling . They would have to embrace her, as a minority ( Indian ) but chastise her for wearing fur and ivory. Actually she caught some grief for wearing fur in the 1990;s

But you are correct sir, we still wear it all the time. ( actually in this picture she doesn't look happy but I am sure it has nothing to do with Ivory ;))

Todays "Wok" crowd would not know what to do with Brenda Schad if she was still modeling . They would have to embrace her, as a minority ( Indian ) but chastise her for wearing fur and ivory. Actually she caught some grief for wearing fur in the 1990;s

But you are correct sir, we still wear it all the time. ( actually in this picture she doesn't look happy but I am sure it has nothing to do with Ivory ;))
Some of the Museum pieces I've seen truly are a work of art with Quill and Beadwork too.

One of my female bowhunting friends has a full necklace of elk ivories end to end from elk she has killed. If any of you ever got the Crooked Horn hunting DVD with a purchase, you have seen her.

I wound up contacting some old friends in Missoula who I remember had a side business handmaking jewelry. We discussed it a bit, and Diane was full of ideas. We settled on sterling silver and I'm not a terribly creative sort, so I basically said "simple, but elegant". Here's how it turned out:

IMG_20220101_201248630.jpg

I'm very happy with it. I gave it to my wife for our 18th anniversary and she loves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back