MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

It's paid off!

Wish Ford had stayed with the little Perkins diesel.That was an awesome setup.
Chevy tried to get Cat to build them a pickup motor. Cat said, "No."!
Had a very knowledgeable diesel mechanic tell me there was no reason on God's green earth for an 8 cylinder diesel.

I dunno my 7.3 powerstroke is just about as good as it gets. Plenty of power and I can fix it in the driveway.

-Z

Paid off my Ford last year. Feels good with no debt again and 2 good trucks.
Never bought a new vehicle.
My 1st truck cost $200. 51 GMC 3/4T corner window flatbed with a 51 Chevy PU for spare parts.
Sounds a lot like me. Still driving my '95 Dodge and intend to run it into the ground.

My first truck was a '55 Chevy shortbed 3/4 ton with a worn out 235 in it and I surely didn't pay more than 200 bucks for it. I found a wrecked '61 Impala with the 348 porcupine motor in it for 100 bucks, drove out to a junk yard near Ft. Lupton, CO and removed a "truck V-8 bellhousing" necessary for the swap for $35.00, welded motor mount platforms to the frame rails, fabricated accelerator linkage and had a local shop fabricate me some exhaust pieces and I was in business. It had a 4 speed in the floor with something like 5.34 gears in the rearend and with the tons of torque coming from the 348 I only needed third and fourth gears unless loaded.

My first truck was a '55 Chevy shortbed 3/4 ton with a worn out 235 in it and I surely didn't pay more than 200 bucks for it. I found a wrecked '61 Impala with the 348 porcupine motor in it for 100 bucks, drove out to a junk yard near Ft. Lupton, CO and removed a "truck V-8 bellhousing" necessary for the swap for $35.00, welded motor mount platforms to the frame rails, fabricated accelerator linkage and had a local shop fabricate me some exhaust pieces and I was in business. It had a 4 speed in the floor with something like 5.34 gears in the rearend and with the tons of torque coming from the 348 I only needed third and fourth gears unless loaded.
Ahh...the good old days when we could mix and match car and truck parts to make just about any combination work. (y)

I dunno my 7.3 powerstroke is just about as good as it gets. Plenty of power and I can fix it in the driveway.

-Z
Per Mr. L, a 6 cylinder has a longer stroke and more torque than an 8 cylinder.
He had three 3/4 ton Dodge pickups w/Cummins diesel. They looked like they just rolled off a showroom floor.

Per Mr. L, a 6 cylinder has a longer stroke and more torque than an 8 cylinder.
He had three 3/4 ton Dodge pickups w/Cummins diesel. They looked like they just rolled off a showroom floor.

the Cummins is a great motor. It’s just a shame they wasted it putting it inside a dodge pick up.

the Cummins is a great motor. It’s just a shame they wasted it putting it inside a dodge pick up.
LOL! Not so sure I disagree! 😉
Love my old '01!
Mechanically (engine/transmission) the truck is stout as ever
Cosmetically? Uhhmmm... it could be better. Alot of that is due to neglect on my part early in it's "life".

Kinda like me!
If I had known I was going to live this long, i would have taken better care of myself! 😀!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back