It's only a cow!

Excellent adventure with a fulfilling conclusion. If you ever don't get emotional it will be time to put the firearm away.

Be proud, be content.

And know, that in my circle at least: guys who lived years in WY, guys that kill elk every year on public land, guys who have killed 20-40 elk apiece, there's no such attitude as"it's only a cow".

Cow elk are not comparable to does of any kind. I've hunted on many cow tags and it seems that ~80+% of the time, I've could've shot a bull first.

Congrats on a great trophy!! You are going to be eating well for quite awhile! I love stories like this!

She looks tasty to me, I will take the front shoulders and neck meat!!
Congrats

Congratulations!

I'm still waiting to draw an elk tag in New Mexico but would take a cow tag every year if given the chance. Fill your freezer!

Be proud, be content.

And know, that in my circle at least: guys who lived years in WY, guys that kill elk every year on public land, guys who have killed 20-40 elk apiece, there's no such attitude as"it's only a cow".

Cow elk are not comparable to does of any kind. I've hunted on many cow tags and it seems that ~80+% of the time, I've could've shot a bull first.

Right on. One of the best examples of this, was years ago when I hunted the Mescalero Indian Reservation in NM. My father-in-law and I hunted it for three years and always killed our cows, but they were not easy. The last hunt we did almost came up empty, although, we were knee deep in bulls every day. I lived within eyesight of the res boundary and it was a fantastic hunt. It was worth the price of admission just to see all the big bulls.

A downed elk regardless of sex always has a profound effect on me at first blush. Something about the unseeing beautiful eyes and their size are always a jolt. Congrats recon and good on you for sharing the story. Tasty nourishment right there.

Congrats! Any elk is a great elk. Cows are much better eating anyhow!

There's a form for that! http://www.mckenziesp.com/Elk-Original-Series-C1165.aspx

Congrats on an awesome hunt and a great effort!

Once my preference points are gone I will be reverting back to cow tags more often. I just ate the last pack of loins from last years cow. I've got plenty of memories from that hunt. Funny, I don't think a set of horns would have changed that much of it.

Congrats on the TROPHY elk!!
Awesome to have such great support from Mrs. Recon.

Back