Its like wild kingdom out here tonight

Took my daughter out with me this a.m. and saw nothing, brought her to the same place again tonight and we saw 5 bears, sow and two cubs and two others. Evening seems to be golden right now.

This one, needed a second look, but passed.
bearhunt017.jpg

bearhunt018.jpg

Then saw this little dinker on the way out
bearhunt033.jpg

Wee one glassing a wee one
bearhunt026.jpg

Dead mouse
bearhunt037.jpg

Good stuff there buddy! My B-in-Law and I forded a COLD stream tonight in our skivies to put a stalk on a nice dark chocolate bear. Unfortunately after all the trouble swirling winds gave us away before we could put the final stalk on him. Still a good evening.

OK, serious issue, I think I am developing some irrational idea of how big these bears get in this part of the world. I passed a chocolate tonight, was questioning it walking back up the road to check on another clearcut, and now seeing the pic I took, I am regretting it. I will never pretend I know what I am doing when it comes to bears, I am having as much fun as one could have with his pants on, seeing tons of bears, but I think I am crazy for passing on this guy. He is standing on a little grassy road into a clear cut.
bearhunt025.jpg

bearhunt026.jpg

What do you think? Mistake? No biggie?

Also saw that sow and her cubs again, and treed another ankle biter.
bearhunt002.jpg

bearhunt023.jpg

Oh, and seeing plenty of other game
bearhunt006-1.jpg

bearhunt005.jpg

Um... according to that second picture I'd say you should have shot. Just how big a bear are you looking for? That appears to be a solid 5 1/2- 5 3/4 footer to me. He's not over 200lbs but a 200lb spring bear is a good one in my book.

I have no illusions that there are 6 foot bears behind every other tree. I am looking for close, with a really nice hide. Excuse me while I go puke.

Looks like a nice boar, but I wouldn`t worry about it too much. You counted coup by getting the pictures, good enough.

As many bears as you`re seeing, you`ve got a chance at killing a toad. You see more bears in a night than I do in a season.

All these pictures are killing me (other posts included). I'm definitely gonna have to give it a try next year. Hopefully I'll be able to talk one of you fools into tagging along to show me the ropes.

I wish I had one of the bear gods on here sitting with me, telling me what's what. Still trying to figure it all out myself. My kids are no help, my daughter says "Are you gonna shoot it dad?", the boy says on the way to the spot, "Remember dad, we only shoot the boars." Then in the heat of the moment, he is just, "shoot it dad", "shoot it", while he's pulling on the sling trying to take matters into his own hands.

Draht... it just depends on what you want man. That is a nice bear, but not a "big" bear. If I was "bear hunting" I think I'd have pulled the trigger. I'd like to say I'd have let him walk... You did, and getting pics... unless you are just dying for a bear hide and a freezer full of cat food to send to Greenhorn, I think you made the right decision. Looks to be a younger boar to me.....4 yrs old??? (question marks indicate I am not making some know it all statement, just my best guess!)

Thats one reason why I pretty much take my bow bear hunting when I get out nowadays, cause I"ll be happy with about any bear with my longbow, period.

Figuring I had burned out the place I had been going, I decided it was time to head for the honey hole. And it didn't disappoint. 5 minutes out of the truck, bounced a small black out, then in the next clearcut it was, as Jeff Foxworthy would say, it was pandelerium!! Surrounded by 4 bears, chocolate, dark chocolate, lite silvery color, and a black. The brownish silvery one was a dink, but waaay fat. Thought it was a griz, but it wasn't. Two are clearly bigger than the others, and the bigger one of those two has a messed up head, face is rubbed off and ugly. So I decide to end all these shenannigans, and shot the other one. Not the biggest bear, but perfect hide, great color. Shot it about 80 yds from where I killed last year's bear. Wish the pics were better. Oh well, so much fun this spring, definitely one to remember, esp for the kids. He even got to use his new knife and help me skin it for packing out. Late night for a young boy.

2011bear-1.jpg

2011bear2-1.jpg

awesome bear man! pretty color. he will look great on the wall. Love seeing the kids in those pics, my oldest is leavin for college soon and will hate to see my hunting buddy go. the younger one just hunts small game, so I will have a half time pard.

Great bear Drath congrats! Looks like you have a good idea of what you are doing to me.If you would have just held out a couple more days I would have given you a hand packing it back to the truck.Great job it looks like the kids have a fun time out there.

Good job. You held out a long time. Color phase bears are always a plus.

Awesome color and very cool that you could get it done with your son along. Congrats Draht.

Congrats and I am sure the young assistant will remember it forever.

I really want to give bear hunting a try at some point. Just not too many around here. ;)

Involving the kids automatically puts on another 100 pounds on the bear. Nice spring bear hunts and picture taking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back