Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

It's best to check out an Outfitter's reputation before you book a hunt.

windymtnman

If you're thinking of booking an Outfitted hunt around the Jackson Hole area, you might want to follow this
link to see what this man is all about.

I don't know this man, but I do know that a lot of things that have to happen on a farm would have some people screaming "animal cruelty". Interested to see how the investigation plays out and if charges are actually filed.
LOL just saw this article is from 2017...not really breaking news.

Last edited:
Grew up on a dairy farm so have lots of experience with big animals. If you are going to work on animals this size you have immobilize them the best you can. Sometimes the animals hurt themselves. While not pleasant to watch I'm not seeing anything in that videao that would be considered abuse.

Also grew up on a dairy farm. Pulled a lot of calves with the chains. People who didn't grow up to see what really happens behind the scenes, don't get it. They just pose for pictures with Donkeys....We truly loved our animals. Sometimes desperate times called for desperate measures. A lot of times those desperate measures saved the animals life in the long run. Sometimes it was the last attempt before having to put the animal down. Also had to do that. A lot. And it wasn't a pleasure.

And the worse part is that we have a member of this forum (that clearly knows nothing about the potential dangers, to the rancher and the horse, involving shoeing ) posting the video on a hunting forum basically trying to inadvertently torpedo this guys outfitting business.....

I don't even like outfitters, but I wouldn't try to tarnish ones reputation without knowing all the facts.

FYI pal, that makes you no better than the trespassing Karen....actually it makes you even worse....Just saying.

Last edited:
A lot of cattle where I'm from, sometimes this has to happen to large livestock.

What I will say tho is he freakin sucks at it from what I can tell. I've never seen it done with horses but with cattle from what I've seen in Michigan its usually tied to the point of not being able to move at all. I've seen netting, large blankets/tarp type material.

Some times just a hard left hook does the trick. My sisters horse bit her on the shoulder while she was brushing him one day and she freakin rocked him with a left hook. Never did it again. lol

Also grew up on a dairy farm. Pulled a lot of calves with the chains. People who didn't grow up to see what really happens behind the scenes, don't get it. They just pose for pictures with Donkeys....We truly loved our animals. Sometimes desperate times called for desperate measures. A lot of times those desperate measures saved the animals life in the long run. Sometimes it was the last attempt before having to put the animal down. Also had to do that. A lot. And it wasn't a pleasure.

And the worse part is that we have a member of this forum (that clearly knows nothing about the potential dangers, to the rancher and the horse, involving shoeing ) posting the video on a hunting forum basically trying to inadvertently torpedo this guys outfitting business.....

I don't even like outfitters, but I wouldn't try to tarnish ones reputation without knowing all the facts.

FYI pal, that makes you no better than the trespassing Karen....actually it makes you even worse....Just saying.
I was thinking of this exact thing. Been a few times I have had beat on a cow in an attempt to get her adrenaline up so she would have the fight to stand, because I knew if she didn't get up soon she would never get up.

Last edited:
From the video, "Forrest, I know about training horses, I had polo horses for years..." I've never been to Jackson, but that kind of fits my image of the place.

Also, from the article - "Stearns has a lengthy criminal history in Teton County, according to court records that indicate he's been arrested for multiple DUIs and has been under investigation for family battery." I certainly wouldn't want to hire that guy to take me hunting.

From the video, "Forrest, I know about training horses, I had polo horses for years..." I've never been to Jackson, but that kind of fits my image of the place.

Also, from the article - "Stearns has a lengthy criminal history in Teton County, according to court records that indicate he's been arrested for multiple DUIs and has been under investigation for family battery." I certainly wouldn't want to hire that guy to take me hunting.
So in summary this guy sucks but not necessarily because of how he treats horses

Serioud question can you put a horse in a squeeze chute? Or would they have ten heart attacks and tear everything up?
I am not a horse person but I lean to the tear everything up. In our barn we have an old set of stocks that was use to shoe work horses. Put the horse between the stocks, put a canvas strap under there belly and spread the stocks to take the weight of the horse off there feet. I bet you didn't use it on high strung horses and there was probably still some real rodeos.

People who ask some of these questions have clearly never seen an animal get out of hand.

I have a farmer friends who was milking cows and the cow got kicked at him and got its foot threaded through his hoodie hand pouch. In 2 seconds it kicked 2 more times. Fractured my friends skull, broke 2 arms, and 1 leg, 2/3rds of his ribs and punctured his lung as well. That was 1 leg of a cow kicking..... He almost died, and all he was trying to do was put the milker on her...Bottom line, is that horses and cows are SUPER powerful animals.

When an animal the size of a horse or a cow freaks out, things become life and death, for everyone involved, quickly. They will kill you.

The safest thing you can do it get them off their feet and keep them off their feet for certain tasks.

People who ask some of these questions have clearly never seen an animal get out of hand.

I have a farmer friends who was milking cows and the cow got kicked at him and got its foot threaded through his hoodie hand pouch. In 2 seconds it kicked 2 more times. Fractured my friends skull, broke 2 arms, and 1 leg, 2/3rds of his ribs and punctured his lung as well. That was 1 leg of a cow kicking..... He almost died, and all he was trying to do was put the milker on her...Bottom line, is that horses and cows are SUPER powerful animals.

When an animal the size of a horse or a cow freaks out, things become life and death, for everyone involved, quickly. They will kill you.

The safest thing you can do it get them off their feet and keep them off their feet for certain tasks.
That's terrible what happened to your buddy.

I've only ever been kicked "gently" in the thigh or shin a few times, and I've had a cow or two lean on me a bit in a work pen. Even stuff that takes them very little effort can definitely hurt a human being though, and I hope I'm never on the receiving end of one who actually wants to do some damage

Back