MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ithaca's chukar hunts

Ithaca 37

Still too hot and dry for great bird hunting, but we've been doing well. I'm finding big coveys of young birds in Idaho and Oregon. I'm very pleased with the hatch last spring. Tried a spot today that's been real poor the last 4 years and found 4 coveys in about two hours. I consider that a real good comeback for that area. Scenting conditions were bad and it got too warm to hunt more than three hours at the rate Scout was needing water. I heard at least two more coveys on the next ridge I could get to in a four hour hunt, so six coveys in a four hour hunt is plenty of birds to work on. It would be kinda rare not to be able to get a limit of 8 on a hunt like that. I only shot three birds today because they're still kinda small. I'm saving up coveys for some good hunts in about a month when conditions are better and the dog work is more enjoyable. Hope you're all having good luck!

Ithy... Kudos on finding birds !!I'll hit ya up later for a hunt sometime
smile.gif

Sounds like a good time! BTW, do you still hunt those after the first of the year?
biggrin.gif

The word around the office is that the chukars are doing really well around here also. We had a few summer showers that really helped out the grasses. I haven't seen a whole lot of adults, but have ran into quite a few covey's a juvvies.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-17-2003 07:23: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Good deal! I hope to get into some tomorrow, though without a dog my buddies and I need to work as a team. Set up blockers uphill, etc. I have a hot spot that we will check first thing in the AM. Our season goes until January, too.

Guys, good luck on the chukars. I have only shot 4 in my life. One in oregon around Burns and 3 in southern Idaho. The Idaho hunt was one of the best birds hunts I have ever had those birds are big and smart. I have been trying to get one down here in Az. they are limited at best, will keep plugging along until successful, Good Luck, JLG.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back