MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

It Is Not Just Hunting - Outdoor Rec In General Is Declining

I’m just saying the whole base of the article is crap. Even in Kansas which apparently is one of the lazier state you go out to the lake on the weekend and it’s a packed house.

You can make studies have the outcome you want I just don’t buy decline in outdoor activities whether it be hunting or fishing or anything else.

I’m just saying the whole base of the article is crap. Even in Kansas which apparently is one of the lazier state you go out to the lake on the weekend and it’s a packed house.

You can make studies have the outcome you want I just don’t buy decline in outdoor activities whether it be hunting or fishing or anything else.
I suppose the Outdoor Foundation (philanthropic arm of Outdoor Industry Association (OIA)) could have a bad study setup (poor sample size or statistically flawed some other way). So, maybe you can find some evidence that counters that (your local lake on the weekend anecdote is not exactly convincing proof).

I suppose the Outdoor Foundation (philanthropic arm of Outdoor Industry Association (OIA)) could have a bad study setup (poor sample size or statistically flawed some other way). So, maybe you can find some evidence that counters that (your local lake on the weekend anecdote is not exactly convincing proof).
I wish I had the time. I’m busy doing outdoor stuff.

Definitely a regional component. CO has the opposite problem of too many people going out year-round. Our local parks are being "loved to death" - more users (leaving more trash and dog shit, causing more erosion, etc) than the City Parks dept can handle. The same is true with hunting and just about every other outdoor activity on all public lands in CO - increased use with little or no increased funding.
I was going to say, you couldnt tell there was a problem in Colorado. We need to bus people into the lazy states lol

How about the kids with the video games!! Youth sports are in decline in many areas.

The biggest problems our society faces (pick any of them) all have a root in a lack of time. People work too many hours and are pulled in too many directions when they're not working.
That may be true for some, but, "According to a Nielsen report, United States adults are watching five hours and four minutes of television per day on average (35.5 h/week, slightly more than 77 days per year)."
from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_consumption

I would venture to say it has at least as much to do with quick access to public lands and the physical quality of those lands. Seattle is less than an hour from the Cascades and the Snoqualmie NF or a plethora of beaches. Similar with Portland. But generally it appears there are many factors at play here. Apparently liberals prefer to exercise ;)
View attachment 127490

The liberals in the Deep South aren’t exercising that much.

The bottom line, is that there are too damn many people, EVERYWHERE! It is going to keep getting worse, as no one ever addresses that problem and the urban sprawl just keeps getting worse.

The new world order.
And how do we address the to many people thing?

That may be true for some, but, "According to a Nielsen report, United States adults are watching five hours and four minutes of television per day on average (35.5 h/week, slightly more than 77 days per year)."
from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_consumption
I don't think that directly contradicts my point. Although it seems counter intuitive, people turn to screen time when they're too exhausted from life to do anything else.

I don't think that directly contradicts my point. Although it seems counter intuitive, people turn to screen time when they're too exhausted from life to do anything else.
Or they are just lazy. My grandpa worked in the field from dawn to dusk and then some every day of his life...he didn't do any hunting, but he didn't whine about being "too exhasted." My dad owned his own business and worked 100+ hours a week for 18 years and hunted a weekend or two each year, but he didn't sit in front of the TV or complain about being "too exhausted." I barely work (physically) at all and I hunt a couple of weeks each year, and hate myself for watching the little bit of TV that I do. I think it very much contradicts your point.

Or they are just lazy. My grandpa worked in the field from dawn to dusk and then some every day of his life...he didn't do any hunting, but he didn't whine about being "too exhasted." My dad owned his own business and worked 100+ hours a week for 18 years and hunted a weekend or two each year, but he didn't sit in front of the TV or complain about being "too exhausted." I barely work (physically) at all and I hunt a couple of weeks each year, and hate myself for watching the little bit of TV that I do. I think it very much contradicts your point.
While I don't necessarily disagree, personally I find stress and mental effort a lot more exhausting than anything I've ever done physically.

While I don't necessarily disagree, personally I find stress and mental effort a lot more exhausting than anything I've ever done physically.
I hear ya. I find going outdoors helps me to relax and recoup.;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back