Is there a good scope you like for your shotgun with a cantilever slug barrel?

A 220 is definitely still a shotgun, although probably the most accurate slug gun. Range and accuracy are not in line with any decent rifle. Depending on the slug you shoot in 20 it will be a few pounds less to a couple pounds MORE recoil energy than a 308.

I see the OLAP lands are strictly shotgun, so that is that. But, if you get to a spot where you can use a handgun there are some really interesting options.
I think the Savage 220 should be a great woods deer gun. I can't see it on the plains for 'lope or buff though. Elk and moose? I don't own any revolvers, 4" barrels or longer. I have a Smith .38 snubbie plus a Glock 45 9mm and a Smith Governor revolver now on mail order. The Glock 9mm is a 4.02" barrel and can fire bullets well over 55 grains. Can you see yourself Glocking for deer with a 9 mm? What the guy should have done was walked right up to the wounded deer and popped him in the brain one or more times. I have my doubts.

Last edited:
I checked out a couple Savage 220 videos. The guy says this is a 160-yard point-blank deer gun even with the crappier-grouping slugs. This Savage is about $700 retail and groups several MOA but still "minute of deer" in most woods shooting situations. No, it won't ever shoot nearly as tight as even a cheaper centerfire rifle like a Ruger American will do (if you can manage to get the bolt closed on the damn chambered round).

<iframe width="1029" height="579" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the Savage 220 should be a great woods deer gun. I can't see it on the plains for 'lope or buff though. Elk and moose? I don't own any revolvers, 4" barrels or longer. I have a Smith .38 snubbie plus a Glock 45 9mm and a Smith Governor revolver now on mail order. The Glock 9mm is a 4.02" barrel and can fire bullets well over 55 grains. Can you see yourself Glocking for deer with a 9 mm? What the guy should have done was walked right up to the wounded deer and popped him in the brain one or more times. I have my doubts.

For reference my hunting pistol (waiting on delivery) is a CMMG Banshee 200 in .308 .....12.5 in barrel and a brace ;)

For reference my hunting pistol (waiting on delivery) is a CMMG Banshee 200 in .308 .....12.5 in barrel and a brace ;)
A lot of public hunting areas in Oklahoma allow only archery or shotgun during deer seasons. Slugs only. No buckshot. My interest is in taking only does with guns. There are limited opportunities to take antlerless deer with guns on WMA's in Sooner state. Some WMA's forbid taking antlerless deer altogether during regular gun seasons. Some do allow shotguns during the two week holiday antlerless season in the second half of December. A nice doe in the bag makes a great Christmas present. Some OK WMA's only allow guns for the last ten days of November or the first ten days of regular gun season. There are precious few, if any, public Ok lands that allow rifles on deer these days. A good slug gun like the Savage 220 seems the best bet for an Oklahoma deer hunter who is a seasoned rifleman but lacks the bow skills of Robin Hood. The gun has the look and aesthetic of a bolt-action rifle and it appears that you mount a riflescope, sight in and shoot just like you do any hunting rifle. Remember, it's no "plains rifle" for 'lope or buff. It's no elk/moose/muley gun. Black bear and cougar?? I don't know.

Savage 220 I close to the perfect slug gun, if that is what you are looking for.

Recoil will be greater than 308, though

I've got a 220 I use for hunting in IL. It's probably the most accurate off the shelf shotgun available. Best ammo I've found for mine are the 3" Remington Accutips, however they are nowhere to be found now and I'm down to about 13 rounds, so next season may be the last time I use them, then I'll have to experiment and see what else shoots good. Some are having good success with the Hornady ammo.

I've shot mine at paper every 50 yards out to 200 so know where it hits, and wouldn't have any issue taking shots out to 150. Pretty significant bullet drop from 150-200 yds, so conditions would need to be optimum.

Those slug loads kick pretty good, probably because of the lightweight cheap plastic Savage stock, but no worse than most centerfire big game rifles.
Good luck finding those 3" accutips. I've tried for months.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back