Is the hunt you are panning the same as the hunt you expect?........

Arrow Guru

I think a lot of people that are planning their first hunt could use this information. I thought I would post this because after taking several trips out west (I am from Georgia) I get a lot of questions from guys planning to come out for the first time. After talking with them I find there is a common mistake. A lot of the guys I talk to are in the mindset that they are planning a hunt that will be their one and only shot at killing an elk. So in some sense its a once in a lifetime hunt. Wether is be because of finances or time they are thinking that they have one solid opportunity. However they are not planning a hunt that will be likely to meet these expectations. You see, if you are in that boat, planning on a one shot hunt to fulfill a dream of killing a bull elk but are planning on a OTC or easy to draw hunt on public land DIY, you are planning the wrong hunt.

Public land is tough and the country is difficult. No matter how hard you think its going to be, it's going to be harder. Especially if you are a flat lander that lives at seas level like me. My first hunt was in Colorado in a unit that had no vehicle access. It was a total disaster. I packed way too heavy and I was not prepared for either the altitude or country. I thought I was! I ended up with acute altitude sickness and we ended up cutting the trip short before ever seeing an elk. However I learned A LOT. My second trip was better and we actually got close to killing an elk but it was still really hard. My last trip to Utah hunting mule deer was much much better. We saw a lot of deer and I put on several stalks and came pretty close to filling my tag.

I said all that to say this. If you are in the position that you really feel like you have one shot to go out and hunting western animals my strong suggestion would be to save your money and go on a guided hunt and do that on private land if you can. If you are in that boat and you are planning a public land DIY hunt you are going to really waste a lot of time and money. Now there are exceptions to very rule and I am sure that there are people that plan this kind of hunt, tough out the conditions and bring back some meat, but I bet they are in the minority.

In my opinion, DIY public land hunting is a process. I only recommend this type of hunt for someone that plans on going as often as they can. Each trip is a huge learning experiment. You get better at it and the biggest thing is you understand more fully what to expect. I am now fully aware of what my body is going to feel like at altitude. I know exactly how to treat myself, when to hunt hard and when to rest. Being prone the altitude sickness I have to plan a few more days than I had in the past. I need to be at camp and be pretty easy on myself for 2 or 3 days before I really go after the ridges and climbs associated with this type of terrain. I have also learned how to pack, lighten the load and have become very keen on not what to bring, but leaving the things that aren't necessary behind.

To sum it up, make sure the hunt you are planning meets the expectation of the hunt you want. If you are taking one shot at it, go with an outfitter. This may delay your hunt as you save your pennies but when it's over you will be much more satisfied with the result. If you are planning on learning how to hunt out there and fully plan on parlaying that into future trips, then there is nothing quite as rewarding as DIY western hunting.

I hope this makes sense and that maybe it saves someone a hard lesson, one that I learned the hard way. I am planning my nest trip to Utah this spring and possibly my first solo trip. It is my belief that I would never have been successful if I had planned this particular hunt the first time out. My previous trips were the classroom for having the confidence to try this now.

Stay safe out there boys!

Very good point. I think setting the proper expectation is a big determinant of how much you will enjoy the hunt. I just look for a good experience. I remember the misses and encounters just as fondly, if not more, than the tags that got filled. Many because I didn't have to do as much work as I do after the successful shot.:)

Arrow Guru, you make some good points that first time hunters should consider, especially if it is their one and only chance. I do think, however, that it is reasonable to plan from scratch and expect success as a novice DIY hunter if you set expectations properly. So I would add the following:

1) Don't expect to know everything about anything. Heading west for the first time is a leap of faith. Settle down and accept some uncertainty.
2) Pick a unit that has good access. Yes there will be more hunters. But you won't likely get stranded or broken down 30 miles from help, outside of cell service, with no real plan or ability to extract yourself.
3) Don't worry about trophy quality or scores at all. You will not bag a B&C animal on your first trip. Accept it. It's OK. Did I mention you won't? Or maybe you will. Hope reigns eternal. Just don't plan your trip around trophy potential.
4) Buy the NF and BLM maps BEFORE you apply. Make sure you are comfortable with the elevation, terrain, an ability to get in and out.
5) Hunt earlier rather than later. September and early October can be beautiful and usually (not always) are... BUT.... Very few people from the east or south are initially prepared or informed enough about what CAN happen with later western/mountain weather. It may be 80 degrees back home . It's 4 degrees and there may be 50 mile per hour winds and 3 foot drifts in Wyoming and Rt. 80 is temporarily closed back to Nebraska. All USFS roads may be impassible for days. Better have chains! Or Loveland Pass in CO is shut and there's a rockslide blocking Glenwood Canyon. Going nowhere fast. There's another flash flood on Rt. 12 in Utah. Backup plan?
6) Think about how you plan to pack out meat if you are successful. This may be the number one thing that keeps me from hunting some better areas that I KNOW have elk. When you are DIY or solo, you need to consider the "aftermath" of a successful hunt just as much as you consider the lead up.
7) NOW take a deep breath, and get back to daydreaming about it again. It's awesome. Shooting an antelope with a bow out of an impromtu sagebrush blind.... sending an arrow over the back of a 6X6 on your first ever elk hunt, getting a followup shot with a muzzleloader at a raghorn that was already dead on his feet but neither of you knew it... hearing the bull screaming in his wallow only 50 yards away while blocked by brush.... making the shot at the muley who had you dead to rights but waited just a second too long before bolting.... All these experiences await. No guide needed. Only time and effort.

I hope every single hunter who plans to head west for their "dream" hunt reads this first! Its all about setting up yourself for success, being optimistic but not being over optimistic to set yourself up for failure. It can be tough and there is a steep learning curve. Its all about expectations

I think a lot of that is good advice even for western hunters that are looking to try a new area. I went to Colorado a year ago in a unit that historically has produced some big mule deer and we covered the unit and only saw a handful of does on public land. It was rough!

One thing I will add as well. The thing I have told the guys ut here going for the first time is to not too crazy about shooting a trophy. Especially if they are bow hunting. I tell them and I adopt the rule that for the first animal, shoot the first legal animal that presents a shot. Every one wants to shoot a 6 x 6 bull, but if you have an any elk tag and a cow gives you a good shot and you have never killed an elk before, SHOOT IT, pack it and eat it!. 1st legal animal!

That's the issue with people who have never hunted and want to go kill a bull elk with no experience. Or the guys who start talking about sheep hunting early in their hunting career without ever spending time in sheep country. Some guys get into hunting because they want pictures with dead animals to show people, others do it for the right reasons.

Starting with elk hunting is going to make things much more difficult than necessary and about the worst first hunt for a novice I can think of.

Skip the guided elk hunt and go on a DIY antelope hunt in Wyoming to start with. Then work your way up to deer. Then go after elk after 5 years of deer/antelope.

Good post, I went for the first time this fall (CO 3rd rifle OTC). It was much as you described, I learned a lot and am hooked for life. My biggest fear was would I physically be able to hack it at 51. I found I could, and will hopefully be back next year. My job as a farmer prevents me from being able to go earlier in the year so I know my expectations will have to be lower. I will stress to everyone going for the first time to get in the best shape you can, you don't have to be a triathlete, but you can't describe accurately climbing a mountain with a pack on your back if you've never done it. My number one tip is get trekking poles.

The first (only?) question to ask yourself is: What would give you the greater sense of personal accomplishment, (a) the chance at killing any legal elk on a DIY hunt for which you spent days pouring over BLM maps, OnX, Google Earth, and this site; made phone calls to game wardens and biologists; saved your pennies, researched and made selective gear purchases for the trip; trained for months to get into the best shape possible for long days, short nights, being cold and wet, and walking multiple miles a day; shot rifle or bow until certain in your ability to make an ethical kill at your self-imposed range limit; all while recognizing that lack of familiarity with the area, weather, other hunters, a momentary shift in the wind, and sheer luck might ultimately have a far bigger impact on the likelihood of your success than all of the foregoing; OR (b) killing a 6x6? Once you've answered that question, the rest is easy.

Great posts about expectations. To me, that may be the most challenging thing to figure out with DIY out of state hunts. Many guys talk about the importance of mental toughness as the hunt drags on (which is very valid). I think mental toughness may even be more important on the first day of the hunt.

You drive all night, you are exhausted, and when you arrive things aren’t as you thought the would be- too many guys, bad weather, terrain is different etc... I’ve become conscious of this over the years and try not to get rattled when that happens. Things always work out, you sometimes just need a day or so to figure it out. Allowing a hunt to be ruined before it really ever began has ruined many a vacations I would guess.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back