MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Is it legal to hunt across state lines?

Lonesome_God_outdoors

Hypothetical question here, but let's say I have both a Colorado and a Wyoming elk tag and I'm hunting along the border. Can you shoot from Wyoming into Colorado and fill my CO tag? I did a quick Google search but was unable to find the answer so I bring it to you wise people.

I would say it would be legal. Who cares where you are standing as long as the animal was in and died in the spot the tag was legal for.
Better question which tag do you use if you shoot the elk in CO and it runs and Dies in WY

Interesting question. Living in Iowa and close to South Dakota I always wondered if you could go to SD shoot a limit of pheasants and then go to Iowa and shoot a limit. How would explain that one?

I know waterfowl is a no no because it is federal guidelines.

Interesting question. Living in Iowa and close to South Dakota I always wondered if you could go to SD shoot a limit of pheasants and then go to Iowa and shoot a limit. How would explain that one?

Yes. You can do that. It would be difficult to prove both your story and the warden's, but legally, you can shoot bag limits in both states because the individual states manage the upland species like pheasants, not the Fed. Changing state lines won't mean the bag limit goes with you.

Dont forget about posession limit, you will be in violation if you have more than posession limit no matter where you hunt them.

Yes. You can do that. It would be difficult to prove both your story and the warden's, but legally, you can shoot bag limits in both states because the individual states manage the upland species like pheasants, not the Fed. Changing state lines won't mean the bag limit goes with you.

Try that with a CA warden after returning from AZ or CRIT with their respective bag limit.

Try that with a CA warden after returning from AZ or CRIT with their respective bag limit.

Zach,

If you can find bag limits of pheasants on both sides of the CA and AZ border you have some mad skills and we should talk.

Hypothetical question here, but let's say I have both a Colorado and a Wyoming elk tag and I'm hunting along the border. Can you shoot from Wyoming into Colorado and fill my CO tag? I did a quick Google search but was unable to find the answer so I bring it to you wise people.

Nevada and Utah have offered several interstate hunts for mountain lion and elk. Licensed hunters from both states were permitted to hunt mountain lions in either Nevada unit 091, Utah 1c or both units. In addition, hunters from Utah and Nevada have had the opportunity to participate in an interstate elk hunt, commonly known I believe as the Pilot Mountain elk hunt, that offered licensed hunters from either state the option of hunting in Nevada unit 091, Utah unit 328 or both units. Not hypothetical, but a real life, unusual hunting opportunity that raises a number of interesting questions also.

I wouldn't see a problem with hunting back and forth across the line, provided both units were open. But your question was wether or not you could shoot from one state into another, meaning you're in State A shooting an animal that's standing in State B? While I see no issue if you're on the up and up, a game warden might really scrutinize the whole scenario. Especially if you're packing out an animal from the adjacent state. You may be making one extra trip to show them the kill location. Having grown up on the Wisconsin/Illinois border I had to really be aware of where I was was, but as a kid I never had the funds for a non resident license. There may have been a smallmouth or 3 that might have been inadvertently caught as my lure drifted too far in the current:rolleyes:

What if you are standing in WY wilderness then shoot across to CO, as a non-resident without a guide? What if place one foot in each state? There is actually a UT big game tag where you can hunt into NV legally. The herd moves back and forth so UT and NV jointly manage tags for that cross-border unit.

I've been on the Mississippi side of the Mississippi River and killed a Louisiana buck. I've also done the reverse. You can hunt with either liscense as long as you are inside the levee. The state line was set on the old river run.

If you hold two licenses, you can have two possession limits.

I would again like to see that angle given to a CA warden. Especially on opening day(upland).

Those guys were so anal they didn't even like separate "bags" inside 1 cooler even though no one was at or over limit.

About 12 years ago my group was checked by a couple of SD wardens about 20 minutes before legal shooting time for the pheasant opener. I was being checked by the senior (older) warden when one of our party came over and told him, "You better do something about her (younger female warden). She was checking for plugs in the shotguns when she came to one of us who was using an O/U. She was writing a ticket for using an unplugged gun!!!. Everyone was standing there rolling their eyes. The senior guy took her aside and gave her considerable "guidance". He apologized to each of us in the party with her in tow. She also apologized, and allowed how it was her first time in the field. So much for training, I guess. Didn't mean to highjack the thread. GJ

Call the G&F in Laramie and ask. Game wardens will be in office at some point and we have great ones in Laramie.
Why go by advice here when you can get the definitive answer right here in town.

Back