Is it blown up?

Globally, influenza kills 290,000-650,000 annually. School aren't shut down and you can find sanitizers on store shelves. Furthermore, there are those that won't get their flu shot every year because of misinformation.

Hype? Absolutely. Furthermore, kids aren't targeted by this virus for unknown reasons. Possibly due to the Coronvirus as a class, is a common URI infection, in kids. They still don't really know. Obviously, this is a new strain and/or strains. Let's not forget 80% will have no or mild symptoms. Average age of death 80. Average age of those with complications is 60.

Making an attempt to contain and prevent spread of the virus within the community is all we can do. Even though in the end it may be futile.

I'm a healthcare provider and I'm not worried if I get it. I'm not worried if my kids get it. My whole family is healthy. We are not high-risk for complications. Data is CLEAR. For my kids and the young influenza is the killer. For the elderly or those with comorbid condition they should take the same precautions that they should be doing for the current influenza season. Unfortunately, that population has to deal with both the coronavirus and influenza. Both prey on the elderly.

It would be great if we could make you the national spokesman.

Maybe less TP hoarding.

Sure, but the paradox is that to prevent spread (and eventually moving to the 2m) you need people to be scared enough to isolate themselves when they or someone around them feel ill. If successful and we slow spread enough to prevent a pandemic, some people will say "See. Told you it was no big deal." The only thing that will convince people is reaching 2mil and then they will blame the government response.

What is the end game here? Everyone, 8 billion people agree to lock themselves in doors for 14 days?

Close a school every time a kids or teacher or parent tests positive?

You do realize that complete isolation is impossible. Even in a bio unit, someone is running the facility. Some Dr still is not isolated.

And that's the issue. The panic will bankrupt countries before anyone has anything to fight it.

You can't isolate everyone forever.

Why don't you just keep your politics out of this..
Since you left out the sarcasm emoji, here's the question. Are you serious? It is impossible to leave politics out of a global pandemic. Should the government not respond? Rump wants to waive payroll taxes until the election. Politics. It was integral to this issue before I mentioned it.

Uninsured people are hastening the spread of the epidemic by not seeking care. Fact.

What happens when the panic causes a depression. Who is paying for universal care then?
The people with insurance, same as now. Insurance reimbursements cover the cost of indigent/noninsured care in our current system. Poor working people get bankrupted by medical bills, poorer people don't even try to pay for medical care. The insurance industry spreads the cost of that unpaid care among the insured. You knew that, right?

What if this or another virus gets endemic in, say, the homeless population of Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles?. The plain old flu does so every year. One could argue that has no impact on spreading the virus to insured people, but one would be flagrantly wrong to do so. Sick people with no insurance are bringing their germs into hospital emergency rooms, bus stations, convenience and liquor stores, every place they go. Homeless people can't self-quarantine @ home.

Last edited:
329,000 new cases each year in the US

Lyme disease is one of the fastest growing infectious diseases in the US and Western Europe. In September 2015, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) revised their estimates, indicating that more than 329,000 new cases were contracted each year in the US — an increase of up to 10 times what was previously believed.

Sure hope you all self isolate. I'm not in the max point pool, I need the help

Let leave the homeless populations of the cali citys out of hunt talk discussions. It just seems alot of people trying to spread panic. We will see and find out in the near future

COVID-19 deaths (US to date): 25 (www.cdc.gov)
Influenza death (2019-2020 season: 20,000-52,000 deaths (www.cdc.gov)

I trust your self assertion that you are a health care provider, but this reference proves you are not an epidemiologist. Comparing death rates between a disease with multi-year full population "saturation" to a disease that has been exposed to likely well under 1% of the population in the last few weeks is a completely useless comparison. The useful comparison hindsight will provide is the Influenza deaths in 19-20 compared to the COVID death in 20-21 or 21-22. The real question is what do we do between now and then? My view is to not over react while remaining watchful.

And for gods sake wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough -- do we really need a death rate stat for this to be a thing?

unless your old or sickly you don't need medical attention. The virus is milder than the common cold.
Not at all true - first death in MN is likely to be a 30-something (already in critical care unit). First death in Boston was a 39 year old. Certainly the elderly are at greater risk, but weird how seemingly happy folks are to point that out - but I am not ready for my 79 year old mother to die, just buried my dad last year not flip about doing it again. I am not in the "sky is falling" camp, but the opposite extreme is just as unhelpful.

I trust your self assertion that you are a health care provider, but this reference proves you are not an epidemiologist. Comparing death rates between a disease with multi-year full population "saturation" to a disease that has been exposed to likely well under 1% of the population in the last few weeks is a completely useless comparison. The useful comparison hindsight will provide is the Influenza deaths in 19-20 compared to the COVID death in 20-21 or 21-22. The real question is what do we do between now and then? My view is to not over react while remaining watchful.

And for gods sake wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough -- do we really need a death rate stat for this to be a thing?

It's not a comparison. I was simply posting the most recent numbers per CDC. Point is, BOTH are deadly, take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. Especially, those at high-risk for complications.

Since you left out the sarcasm emoji, here's the question. Are you serious? It is impossible to leave politics out of a global pandemic. Should the government not respond? Rump wants to waive payroll taxes until the election. Politics. It was integral to this issue before I mentioned it.

Uninsured people are hastening the spread of the epidemic by not seeking care. Fact.

The people with insurance, same as now. Insurance reimbursements cover the cost of indigent/noninsured care in our current system. Poor working people get bankrupted by medical bills, poorer people don't even try to pay for medical care. The insurance industry spreads the cost of that unpaid care among the insured. You knew that, right?

What if this or another virus gets endemic in, say, the homeless population of Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles?. The plain old flu does so every year. One could argue that has no impact on spreading the virus to insured people, but one would be flagrantly wrong to do so. Sick people with no insurance are bringing their germs into hospital emergency rooms, bus stations, convenience and liquor stores, every place they go. Homeless people can't self-quarantine @ home.
Well your theory on this seems laughable at best.. How is socialized medicine slowing the spread in Italy or China for that matter..

The only real hope for a vaccine or even a cure is from this country and that is solely as a result of the way our medical system is set up for profit. You don't have to like it but the truth is pretty obvious.. So take your political crap and shove it up your hind end..

well heck--I am in DEEP do-do (-:

Has anybody read anything that suggests good red wine is an antidote or perhaps a preventive measure ?
They say 60% rubbing alcohol (Hand Sani) will kill it. I'm not a scientist, but if that's the case, then 120 proof whiskey oughta keep me healthy, right?

They say 60% rubbing alcohol (Hand Sani) will kill it. I'm not a scientist, but if that's the case, then 120 proof whiskey oughta keep me healthy, right?
The data is still unavailable, but one would think that if taken in large enough doses you probably wouldn't care too much! ;)

I find two of the points that are batted around here and in other places disingenuous.

First, the point about healthy adults and children don’t need to worry. Ok, let’s assume that’s true- does that mean screw anyone over 60, has asthma, diabetes, or other medical conditions? It sure feels like it from the tone people use when they say it.

Second, only 25 (or whatever it is now) dead versus 25,000 from the flu. Sure, make it sound insignificant because of the disparity in number of deaths but when you do that you should mention there were 25-45 million cases of flu every year that leads to that 25,000. If the infection rate was the same, you’re talking 600,000 dead (assuming 30,000,000 infected and 2% mortality). I know the mortality rate is not well defined, but what I used is a reasonable number. I read an interview with an epidemiologist who said the Coronavirus is more infectious than the flu and has conservatively 20 times the mortality rate.

I think it is reasonable to be concerned about this virus. Of course people should not panic, but blowing it off as no big deal seems premature and irresponsible to me.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back