Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is gas prices affecting your decision to hunt ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
I know it gets talked about every year. At my house especially around bear season when I want to drive 2 hours each way a couple times a week to set bait. But how about elk ? Do you think twice about scouting because of gas prices ? Does dumping a few hundred $'s into gas make that much difference ?

For me it has. I am trying to do as much prep as I can with maps and talking to people before heading out in the truck. Then again, I am also driving 50 miles each way for work, so any gas used in heading up the mountains is in addition to that.

Scouting Utah and Wyoming from Oregon can be expensive. I have two scouting trips planned. Luckily I have family much closer that will scout also. Never worry too much about the gas thing though. An extra few $ will not ruin my hunt :D :D .

It wont affect me none. It's the price you pay if you wanna kill something bigger than a rag horn or spike.

I think spending a few more hundy on fuel is well worth it as long as you spend your scouting time efficiently.

Gas prices

Hi Moosie:

Long time no talk! We have the same dilemma up here in NW Alaska but the cost of boat gas is about $5.50 a gal now. I have been out 3 times fishing and looking for moose this month alone and each trip is at least 30 gals of gas, do the math and you can see how fast it adds up. But it’s all part of living and playing in rural Alaska.

Keep you chin up and keep your stick on the ice; we are all in this together!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

When I look at gas as a % of the entire cost, a few hundred dollars is a small part of the entire hunting picture.

So no, it does not affect my hunting.

The price of gas hasn't stopped any of my outdoor activities but my wife has made a few comments I choose to ignore.

Nope... It'll have to get a site higher than it is now before it starts making a difference to me.

It makes you stop and think for a minute, but its not enough to stop me yet. I just got back from RSA and gas was something close to $1.17 per liter. Things don't look so bad here.

Paying about $3/gallon here; probably $1 more than what I'd like to pay but over the season that probably turns into $200-$300 extra. I'd rather have more hunting gear for that cash, but it doesn't affect my decision to hunt at all.

Kind of, I went out and bought a 4x4 Suzuki sidekick for my day hunts and short trips were I'm not pulling a camper. It get's 25 mpg and gets around pretty good. So I hunt just as much but it doesn't cost me as much as it use to. I also drive 25 miles one way to work so it gets double duty.

schelmster

I currently burn 35 gallons of diesel hauling stuff up to my property 660 miles round trip. That calculates to 18.9 miles per gallon... even at 70-80 mph. Even though it costs somewhere around an ungodly $113 to do so, I still think it's worth it. I sometimes pull into the big rig stations and can get much better prices -as low as 3.05 per gallon. It's gonna cost us $3-$400 just to get to Colorado this coming October. Same amount going back...
Drove the new truck out to open up our local camp this past Saturday. Hauled water, filled the tanks, trimmed roads, drove back and only burned 6 gallons of diesel. The old 300cid F150 would have burned 10-12 easy.
I usually drive the Harley to work and if I'm easy on the throttle a 5 gallon tank will nearly last a month! I'll pay whatever it costs because I'm just another consumer. Then again, I budget and schedule all my finances and time off toward deer season. I'd find some way to afford rediculiously expensive fuel even if I couldn't afford it. I'd find a way.

Laying on a side of a mountain by your self right at sun down listening to coyotes howling and glassing a few muleys in a canyon, fuel cost dosen't even come to mind !:)

Yes, it will, but I'll still hunt, just not as many trips just 2 big ones. I'm hopeing it will keep some out-of-staters from traveling here, that would be nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back