Is a Wyoming leftover antelope hunt still worth it this late in the game?

Well I have a couple antelope points, but I decided to hold off cashing them in with the hope that a couple of my buddies would start to build them so we could hunt a good unit in the future. In the meantime I just want to get out antelope hunting.

I started doing the research, looked at all available leftover units, then created a Gohunt account to figure out some info on those units. It's a little confusing as in the gohunt profile it will say that the unit has good public access, then a couple paragraphs down it says the unit has poor public access and better to find an outfitter. Just about all these units have a very small percentage of public land, which I expected.

So after looking at the maps I called biologists to discuss the units I had in mind. The consensus I got was the two units I zeroed in on weren't worth my while. I told the one biologist the area of the main unit I was looking in, in which she informed me that what little access was available wouldn't be worth it due to too many hunters, and the portion that offered good access was too rugged for antelope. I informed her I would be using the gps chip to which she replied that everyone has them now so it probably wouldn't give me an advantage. When I asked if I'd be better off contacting the chamber of commerce to find ranchers who offer trespass fees, she told me just about everyone would be filled up. (I've contacted every chamber of commerce I could find pertaining to each unit, everyone has told me they no longer keep lists)

Now of course I would much prefer the public route, but after the handful of people I talked to today, they made it seem like my search was futile. They were very nice and I appreciated the info, but I lost confidence in my ability to find a viable hunting area. I assume that whatever good units there may have been leftover have been swooped up in a hurry, so for the guys who have some experience under their belt, should I just ignore the advice I had been given today and press onward with the hopes of finding a chunk of land with some goats on it? Or were you me, would you hold out until next year and draw a decent tag?

You've been given correct information and this late in the game where there are only 8 units that even have any buck or doe tags left I think you better start planning for next year.

There are still plenty of options to hunt various critters in other states, don't pass up on chance to go west!

C

Way too late now. See my Wyoming WOW thread. Any decent buck and doe tags leftover sold out in a matter of minutes.

Well shoot, you guys have told me exactly what I didn't want to hear. I knew I was rolling the dice planning this late, but I was getting too impatient to wait until next season. Well, back to the drawing board, have to be in October. I'm thinking OTC deer in idaho. Never been to that state, but I'm up for something new, what do you guys think?

I haven't looked at what tags are available, but I'm a bit more optimistic you could have success and a great hunt if you are willing to set your expectations appropriately. A friend and I got left over tags last year and got a doe and two bucks, one really small the other about 12 inches and had a blast. We hunted one of those units with little public land that every warns you not to hunt and got out and walked. Yeah you won't be able to road hunt and drive for miles looking for goats right off the road but I'm sure you can find good pieces of public you can walk in on in just about any unit and have a blast.

The days of getting leftover Wyoming antelope tags even a few hours after they come up for sale are over for now I am afraid. Until they up the number of tags what we saw this year is the new normal. Even if they up tags I think demand has increased dramatically the last few years so leftover tags may be forever changed.

Well shoot, you guys have told me exactly what I didn't want to hear. I knew I was rolling the dice planning this late, but I was getting too impatient to wait until next season. Well, back to the drawing board, have to be in October. I'm thinking OTC deer in idaho. Never been to that state, but I'm up for something new, what do you guys think?
always a good option, plenty of good Otc units for general rifle

I hunted a leftover unit last year for Wyoming antelope and this year the same area sold out in a few hours. Access is going to a real challenge for anything available at this point in time.

I hunted a leftover unit last year for Wyoming antelope and this year the same area sold out in a few hours. Access is going to a real challenge for anything available at this point in time.

yep thats what im just starting to figure out, I should have no problem getting a good unit next year

On a side note; I know I can't be the only one who has this much trouble getting anyone to agree on a hunting trip. All I'm hearing is "I'm not driving that far to shoot a deer" "Colorado elk tags are too expensive" "I'm not spending that kind of money unless I'm guaranteed an animal" "I can go if _____ pays for my gas, he still owes me from Panama city 5 years ago" ......and everyone wonders why I go hunting by myself

......and everyone wonders why I go hunting by myself

Absolutely! No one else seems to want to get up as early, walk as far, sit in as cold weather, stay as late... as I do. I hunt pretty hard and everyone else I hunted with act like its an after thought. Besides I enjoy the quiet.

Absolutely! No one else seems to want to get up as early, walk as far, sit in as cold weather, stay as late... as I do. I hunt pretty hard and everyone else I hunted with act like its an after thought. Besides I enjoy the quiet.

^^^^
THIS !

The FIRST time I agreed to take my wifes boss turkey hunting (favor to her) her "overslept"... I went without him and killed a bird that was VERY close to a KS state record! The bird would have been his if he'd had any discipline !
The next time I tried to take the guy turkey hunting, he showed up hungover bitching about getting 2 hours of sleep and wreaked of booze. Then flubbed THREE shots!

I hunt for ME, and what I get out of it! I might take an old timer or a young enthusiastic kid, but most people just want a free "guide".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back