Is 9mm a good round for elk?

In Colorado, no. There's some rule about hand gun hunting that says the round must have x energy at y distance as listed by the manufacturer.....If I remember correctly that leaves it to .357 mag or bigger. Strange rule because if I was revolver/pistol hunting I'd want to re-load my own. Does that make me the manufacturer??

Last edited:
Everyone knows that anything larger than a rat will shrug off a hail of 9mm bullets.

I'm more curious how you would have handled the bird if you had decided to shoot. A pissed off falcon sounds like a handful.
Why do people think you need a bazooka to kill something?
Usually the folks that believe you need these giant calibers to hunt with believe a big caliber will make up for the fact that they can’t shoot but I can assure you that it does not
A 9mm has around the same power as the old mountain man rifles and they never thought twice about shooting elk.
I must have missed these armor plated elk you’ve seen 🤣
I am by no means saying to go hunt elk with a 9mm but without a doubt it can get the job done in a pinch
More than a a couple large grizzly have been killed with a 9mm especially using the right Ammo
The extreme penetrator in 9mm+p has 5-6 foot of penetration, which is more than the .357mag so as long as you do your part it WILL get it done and it’s no longer a debate so whoever told you about the rats and a 9mm don’t know what they’re talking about either.
You might wanna brush up on your ballistics data, mate 🤣

Quantity has a quality all its own.
You put a mag of 9mm extreme penetrators in any animal on the planet and it’s taking the room temperature challenge, PERIOD.
Even these souped up armor plated elk and grizzly people keep seeing in the woods

Quantity has a quality all its own.
You put a mag of 9mm extreme penetrators in any animal in the planet and it’s taking the room temperature challenge,
A 9mm to the ribs would kill just about any animal.

However, it would likely run for a mile with 5 drops of blood hitting the ground to later be found and eaten by coyotes.
it amazes me how much these “hunters” don’t know

183th7.jpg

This same scenario happened to me again. Luckily, I have since switched to Extreme Penetrator (tm) ammunition and a single shot was enough to blast the elk's head clean off its body. The horns were damaged in the cranial explosion caused by Extreme Penetrator (tm), but at least I was able to salvage the meat.

I Dont Believe You GIFs | Tenor

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back