Is 9mm a good round for elk?

BirdManMike

As I’m getting ready at my vehicle to fly the falcon up on a bench today, I looked up as a lone bull elk is hopping the fence coming up the hill onto the bench. He then crosses the dirt road the stops, turns his head to me, and stares. At 15-20 yards, closer to 15.

So there I am, falcon on one fist, no rifle, bunchve crap hanging off me, having a stare down with this bull, staring at one another for an uncomfortable amount of time, and the thought that’s crossing me mind is, ‘well, I could put all 19 from this Glock on my hip into him, that might do it’. Until I remembered my tags are home with the rifle and big game gear. That’s when I turned around them slammed the vehicle door closed which sent him trotting back down off the bench then, as I watched, a mile or more north to safety off the hub table land.

So, yeah. With all the people around the bench glassing from trucks, I’m certain I saved that bulls life. Tho, of course, I’d have preferred ending it. Haha.

So, is a 9mm (or 19 of them) at 15 yards ethical (and legal). I wouldn’t have taken shots at the animal if I had a tag, just had the wild thoughts going thru my brain, as there is way too much going on with the falconry and when I’m in that mindset context switching is not a good idea. Just curious of people’s thoughts.

And, of course, no point on huns today. Win some, lose some!

b96016514942329f3828ce7b9eedc811.jpg

Depends on how good of a shot you are, and what kind of bullets you are shooting. But most likely illegal. In WY anyway.

The KE of a 9mm round is around 400 ft lbs at the muzzle. Most folks would argue 1000 ft lbs would be the absolute minimum for killing an elk. (1500 is more conservative)

That is not to say a lucky brain shot couldn't knock one down. It is just more likely to wound one than kill one.

I had a 9mm on a elk hunt one time. I shot a 5pt bull with my 30not6 get up to him and he's barely still alive. I thought I'll just pop him with this pisola and be done 8 shots to the head later, I shoot him with my rifle. The 9mm was traded in for a 357 soon there after, which killed a couple deer with one shot to the ribs.

That said I had to finish off a caribou with a 22 once. It worked about as well as the 9mm.

Everyone knows that anything larger than a rat will shrug off a hail of 9mm bullets.

I'm more curious how you would have handled the bird if you had decided to shoot. A pissed off falcon sounds like a handful.

I’m thinking the 9mm is a bit anemic, 10mm on the other hand, definitely doable with the right ammo. Personally would prefer to carry a 357, but to each their own.

A few years back someone killed a grizzly in Glacier with a 9mm. So I am sure it can be done. Can it be done ethically, that’s a different conversation.

Lots of elk are poached with 22lr... so sure it'd die if you hit it in the right place.

A 9mm at 15 yards will have the same energy as a .50cal roundball fired from a flintlock at about 100 yards and I'd wager many an elk have met their demise when meeting a roundball well in excess of that range. You boys in MT are about to see some of that in action here soon...

Unless you're very good, and I mean very-very good, and using the correct ammunition for the task I wouldn't be taking that shot.

Lots of elk are poached with 22lr... so sure it'd die if you hit it in the right place.

A 9mm at 15 yards will have the same energy as a .50cal roundball fired from a flintlock at about 100 yards and I'd wager many an elk have met their demise when meeting a roundball well in excess of that range. You boys in MT are about to see some of that in action here soon...

Unless you're very good, and I mean very-very good, and using the correct ammunition for the task I wouldn't be taking that sho

I’ve posted this before, so I apologize for doing so again…

@90-something paces during general rifle a couple years ago.

26E0B4F0-F64A-416A-9EC8-15E1E9182C62.jpeg

Sounds like you’re saying I should’ve started blasting. :)

Seems more powerful than the 6ww some gangster came into hunting store asking for. Manager told him we didn't have any. He was like you don't have 6ww everyone has 6ww. Never understood why people carry it unless cheap ammo is your thing.

A 9mm to the ribs would kill just about any animal.

However, it would likely run for a mile with 5 drops of blood hitting the ground to later be found and eaten by coyotes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back