Yeti GOBOX Collection

Iowa gutless method

Im thinking this is what they are after.

IOWA TAGGING REQUIREMENTS
The head and antlers (if any) must remain
attached to the carcass until it is processed for
consumption.

Nebraska was way behind the power curve on allowing deer to be cut up and hauled out in pieces. They finally saw the light. During center-fire season, the head, four quarters and back straps have to be taken to the check. Proof of sex must stay attached.

After removing the back and four quarters of a deer, there is not hardly any meat left. If you think there is, then strip every little bit off and weight it. It is not worth the effort. Whining about the tender loins on a deer is stupid, too. They are not very big. If you leave them, then you missed out on a good LITTLE piece of meat, but they are not a game changer and neither is the gristly meat on the neck. After stripping the main stuff, you can open the deer and get the heart, tender loins etc. if you want.

Hauling a deer out of the field whole just makes you throw all the extra crap away later.

Nebraska was way behind the power curve on allowing deer to be cut up and hauled out in pieces. They finally saw the light. During center-fire season, the head, four quarters and back straps have to be taken to the check. Proof of sex must stay attached.

After removing the back and four quarters of a deer, there is not hardly any meat left. If you think there is, then strip every little bit off and weight it. It is not worth the effort. Whining about the tender loins on a deer is stupid, too. They are not very big. If you leave them, then you missed out on a good LITTLE piece of meat, but they are not a game changer and neither is the gristly meat on the neck. After stripping the main stuff, you can open the deer and get the heart, tender loins etc. if you want.

Hauling a deer out of the field whole just makes you throw all the extra crap away later.

I respectively totally disagree with not taking the tenderloins. If i gut or don't it takes no more than 2 minutes to get them out. My absolute favorite part. JMO don't fault you if you don't it's your kill.

The whole evidence of sex thing I've never understood, given that the regulations don't state anything about the sex of deer you can harvest, but rather antlered vs antlerless (at least in my state).

I definitely take the TL out of my deer as that is a whole meal for the wife and I. Neck meat is good for sausage. I have taught the gutless method to rookies and even to guides in Wilderness areas of Colorado. But, I guess if the MAN wants you to not do it, take him the whole thing I guess. I was on a Nebraska Deer hunt and the camp had about 10 or 12 deer hanging and a local came by aking for the Tongues out of our deer for a supper he was giving???? So just what cannot be used out of a Deer? John

It's just a cultural thing as calling in deer and check stations are still a big deal and quartering is often viewed as something poachers do mostly because there isn't a culture of doing it locally. Mosr private land guys just drive an ATV or a truck to their kill in the east and are too lazy, aren't physically fit and aren't resourceful enough to think there might be a smarter way.

Last year I was hunting public land in NW Illinois and a guy flagged me down in the parking lot midday and asked me to help him pull a buck out of a deep ravine. I agreed and helped him get it out of there whole and once we got it to a brush hogged road he said he had had enough and that he was going to drive around the authorized personnel only gate so we didn't have to drag his deer another 400 yards. So lazy and stupid, he really didn't deserve to kill that deer.

Quick quartering done right wastes no meat so if it isn't explicitly illegal I would suggest doing it and taking pictures of the carcass after quartering to show that you left nothing in the field.

I have no idea on the rules of each state. However. Getting tenderloins out is simple as you have already skinned it, removed the back straps. Simply pushed down on the gut sack underneath spine, reach in with other hand and peel the loins out. It's rather simple if you know what you are doing. Just don't puncture the sack! Heart is easy too. Leaving the carcass in the field is the circle of life. Lots of critters benefit... Better than throwing in the dumpster, at a trailhead, along the road etc..

I asked this question to the Iowa DNR on their site earlier this spring, here is the reply:

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website. There is a way you would be able to ‘process’ the deer in the field, but you will need to consider a few items prior to doing so.

You must tag and report the deer prior to processing the deer. Please be sure the reporting number is written on the tag before leaving the field. Also, you cannot leave any usable portion of the deer in the field or it would be considered wanton waste. Usable portion would be the deer meat that is normally processed for consumption. Also, if you choose to process the deer in the field, please be sure to keep the tag in the cooler with the meat until you have reached your destination/freezer.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns before you hunt Kevin.

ALICIA IDNR Webmaster
cid:[email protected]
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Customer and Employee Services
515.725-8200 | [email protected]
502 E 9th Street | Des Moines, IA 50319
WWW.IOWADNR.GOV
FB_16x16
Tw_16x16
Pin_16x16
Leading Iowans in Caring for Our Natural Resources.

deer meat that is normally processed for consumption

That seems ambiguous to me. What is "normal" varies from person to person.

Here's how the Idaho regulations state our requirements, which leaves little room for argument.

This includes the meat from hind quarters as far down
as the hock, meat of the front quarters as far down as the knee
and meat along the backbone which is the loin and tenderloin.
It does not include meat of the head or neck, meat covering or
between the ribs, internal organs, or meat on the bones after
close trimming.

That description is on page 95 of the current big game regulations booklet at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/bgRules.pdf

I found this text last fall after finding an elk carcass with all the neck, flank, brisket and rib meat left. I was going to report it as waste, and was surprised to find the law here allows that to be left in the field.

Agreed we didn't do it right but sawing into the cavity seems you would hitt guts along the way. I always gut every animal thats killed around me including 20 or so domestic sheep a year. Sorry if i offended anyone but not my preferred method.

I don't do gutless either. So far I haven't been in a situation where I have deemed it an advantage. There are a few things in the cavity I take from a kill. Heart, and elk liver, plus the tenderloins. I can have an elk gutted in minutes, and no blood past my wrists. Personal preference I guess. mtmuley

I drive my truck up to deer and pigs that I shoot on my private land here in Texas and throw them on the tailgate and do the gutless method on them right there. Quartered up meat and trim goes right into a cooler. No problem getting the tenderloins, no sawing required. No blood past my wrist.

Odd legal rule in Texas is that you have to leave the bone in the quarters until you get home or to wherever you are doing your final processing and packaging.

Last edited:
I'm just never fortunate enough to get anything close enough where it doesn't have to be backpacked. That's the reason why I do it. I'm always deboning and there's no reason to take the guts out to do that.

I did it on my deer for th first time this year. Heck, it was only about a half mile from the car to the tree stand, but it was ankle to knee deep icey cold swamp water. I don't think I'd have been able to pull the buck that far half submerged with a rope. I don't think one of those game sleds would have worked either. I processed it on a small patch of high ground, then packed it out.

I was definitely able to get all the meat I wanted, legs, neck, etc. and getting tenderloins out is as simple as reaching in from the top side and pulling them out by hand. No knife was required, at least on my young buck. Only thing I regret is I didn't get the heart and liver.

Emrah

I gutted my sons deer during youth season because I was unsure on this. It almost killed me dragging it back to the truck. I am pretty sure it was easier packing my last elk out of the mountains.

We had a chance to go on a youth hunt in Illinois but I had to pass because I couldn't figure out a way to legally bring a deer back. I couldn't do the gutless method and I couldn't bring bones back to Iowa.

Back