Interview tips

Nut

I have a BIG time interview next Thursday, It is for a International company with ties in 70 countries. So being a lowly machinist I never had a interview for a place this size.

So I am brainstorming and thinking through everything I should have with me to be prepared. They sent me plenty of information to go through and fill out which I am doing. I also am calling a couple of my references to see if I can get letters of recommendation in time. I also am going to have a list of questions to study and would like to see if there is some I might need.

I'd like for some input from the wiser ones of going for a big time interview.

NUT...be relaxed...do a little research on the company in general and what they are doing in your area too. Also, prepare yourself/think in terms of what you can do for them/bring to them and in terms of revenue/productivity. Always toot your own horn in a positve...but not arrogant way, be yourself...then ask for the job. Maybe summarize when time is right and say something like..."Well...I feel very good about XXXX company, what we have discussed and what I can contribute to the company...I'm ready, willing and able to start...have I answered all your questions?...is there anthing lingering that would keep us from putting the opportunity together right now?"...or something along those lines.
Hope this helps...I'm looking for a sales/marketing job as we speak...got downsized...and it hurts...lol
Keep you chin up...be positive, and land that position!
Remember: only sweat the big stuff...and nothings really that big!
Good luck!

Never, ever talk bad about a past company, or any negative talk about anything. No bitching of any kind. Just talk all positive things, be more pleasant than normal. Your there to sell yourself, not bring yourself up by lowering others. Do not swear. Don't offer up any more info than they ask on a question, or go too long on any question. Give them what they want to hear, nothing more.

don't answer anything thats not specifically asked of you. "do you mind if I ask how old you are?" thats a yes or no answer. not the time to tell your age. if they ask your age, could be a lead in to an age discrimination lawsuit. don't talk too much about yourself. people love to do that. make sure you hear what they are asking before you answer. good luck.

Nut,

It seems that as companies get bigger and more specialized HR people are employed that interview tactics change a bit. The last several interviews I've done have been "behavioral interviews". These are the ones where they will ask a load of questions that start with "Tell me about a time when...". Honestly, it can be quite challenging trying to think of experiences to satisfy their questions on the spot. My least favorite questions are the "What do you do best, worst, what would you improve" questions, because it's often difficult to gauge how critical one should be on themselves (being honest without shredding yourself).

My suggestion... call your local state run job service office. Most employ people whose sole job is to help prepare people like me and you for interviews. They will teach you strategies to handling different types of questions and stage mock interviews.

If there isn't someone in the job service off that can help you, many colleges/universities have employees that provide these services, so it might be worth calling any local colleges to see if they could help you.

Good luck!

smalls has good info. As a hiring manager for a large corporation, we have been furnished a list of behavioral questions. They are looking for specific actions you took under certain conditions. Try to think of any important projects you were involved in, any suggestions for process improvements or cost savings, etc.

What type of job are you applying for? If it is a machinist position, think about teamwork, meeting production challenges, etc. Listen to the questions fully before answering and don't be in a hurry to respond, make good eye contact, smile and try to establish a rapport with the interviewer.

If you are not used to wearing a suit and tie and the job you are applying for doesn't require it - you may not want to dress up that way. Especially if you are not going to look comfortable or your suit and tie is old or you only wear it once a year or haven't dressed up since 1983. I would rather see someone in a nice pressed shirt and khackis than an old blazer and a 4-inch wide tie that is too short... ;)

Last edited:
With behavioural interview questions, you can bring in experiences from outside of previous work where you "solved a problem" or "dealt with a difficult person".

And always remember....

Community Service is a good thing to mention........... unless it was ordered by a Judge...;)

Jose with you here we've all had plenty of experience dealing with moronic behavior oh to be PC difficult people.

Don't volunteer that you "know" Flipper or me !
What TLC said---answer the questions directly, don't volunteer info
Did you noice how this VOL worked "volunteer" into my answer twice....good ain't I??

Thanks so far.

I will be doing more research and work to prepare as per the tips here.

Going to get a new set of clothes and a haircut.(Not much to cut)

I would like more of the behavioral type questions? I know I missed out on a job a couple years ago because I got ticked at the question. It pretty much was "What do you want to be when you grow up?". Not a good thing for a mid 40's guy not prepared for it.

I am trying to find all my certicates so I can have copies. Will already have Birth certicate,Driver's License and SS card copied. I thought about copying some old pictures of a couple machines I have ran and programmed but am wondering if I should?

Still reading over everything they sent and hopefully will have questions ready at the time.Would it be bad to take a list to the interview?

I think I really want this job. The hiree will spend pretty much the 1st 6 months in either France,Switzerland or Poland. The start up of the new facility is next year in Chattanooga.

Guess I will take Flipper and Tom In T off my reference list LOL

A few things that I believe may help in an interview. It depends on the type of job etc but it's always good to have a few questions for the interviewer. It shows a greater interest from you and is something an interviewer normally doesn't see...it's good to separate yourself from the crowd.

The other thing...get the interviewers name and address. When you get done, make sure to send them a handwritten thank you card (give them appreciation for their time...it also keeps you in their mind).

If you are asked about weaknesses...turn them to positives. My weakness is I like to be really organized and sometimes it's not needed...When I'm doing a job, I have to remember there are people who aren't as meticulous as I am or not as experienced or not as eager to learn and I have to make sure I don't become impatient but since I know about this, I take special care to help others have the same motivation I have. This is much better than saying I get pissed when people aren't working as hard as I do and I have trouble with my temper.

Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact...If you have a problem with looking people square in the eye...look at their eye brow or just below the eye...

Listen don't just hear. Everything the above have stated are good. I say downplay weaknesses and empasize your strengths...but that's just me.

Have a plan of where you want to be in 1 year 3 years and 5 years ( in their company)...Ask about upward mobility (even if there isn't any). It shows an eagerness to learn and wanting to expand. If you have a job history...make it one page. More than a page, interviewers get bored and quit reading. Bold type the position and years. They don't care about months and days. Show special interests, clubs, hobbies at the bottom (briefly). This gives them something to break the ice with during the interview. If you know the job...tailor the information for that job...don't leave gaps in years but emphasize information that would go to that particular job. Again, make everything brief but very informative. Make sure you don't have typos!!!!

There are a lot of books out that tell how to interview, do a resume' and get noticed. The information in them works. One thing I remember in one of those books was "remember, there's already a king and a president...don't ask for their position or their salary!" I was asked what type of salary I expected one time and I paraphrased that...it stuck in the interviewers mind well enough they offered me a job.

If they ask if you're willing to do a drug testDO NOT ASK WHICH DRUGS THEY WANT YOU TO TEST

Don't volunteer that you "know" Flipper or me !
What TLC said---answer the questions directly, don't volunteer info
Did you noice how this VOL worked "volunteer" into my answer twice....good ain't I??

You can tell them you know me.:)

Let them know how much you love this country, and you love anyone who defends it!:hump:...I usually let them know I plan on taking over this place ... and will make sure it runs smoother and is a better place to work when I'm in charge:hump::D:D

You have to say it "nice" and with confidence...:D

Way to go Fred

Looks like an awsome prospect... :)

One of the better sites I've found for this type of info, and they have great stuff from resumes, cover letters and pre-tests for intervies

MONSTER

It's a free site with some of the best of every thing I've found out of the many that are out there, including the pay sites on this topic...

Hope it helps...

Fred - having a list of a few questions would show me that you came prepared and did some homework, as well as having a nice notebook to take down the answers. I wouldn't take pictures of the machines with you, but be sure to use those examples if they were challenging or diffcult projects. If the guy interviewing isn't a machinist, don't get too bogged down in details - just enough to show that you know what you are doing - if you can break it down into layman's terms, even better.

That's great, Fred. Be sure to include some of that research into your questions and how you can help them achieve those goals.

Especially do not take any pictures from a certain trip to Texas..... ;)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back