Interesting Prompt For Discussion - Deer Butchering in Public

i used to do euros from start to finish in the spare bathroom of an apartment we lived in.

i processed a handful of deer and antelope on the counters in that like 100 sqaure foot kitchen.

this is the first year in 12 or 13 i've had a garage.
đź‘Ź nobody cares.

6 pages deep, here's the summary.

Guy in city likes to shoot deer.
Guy's neighbor is a dick.
Instead of taking the high road, Guy tries to piss off neighbor, because #freedom #Merica
Pissing match ensues, local news called
HT is divided
Some support pissing off your jerk of a neighbor
Others support Peace over Justice.
Everyone agrees the neighbor is a dick.
Some HTers think the guy is probably a dick too.

Seriously those @TOGIE we have all done those things. This guy does it differently. A deer hanging in the front yard tree, porch, or driveway is as American as Apple pie where I grew up in PA. If someone didn't have one hanging by lunch on Tuesday you'd wonder if the person died.
"Where you grew up" is the key to this entire thread.

Where I grew up we didn't have neighbors at all. Zero. So of course it's not an issue, but it's also irrelevant.

6 pages deep, here's the summary.

Guy in city likes to shoot deer.
Guy's neighbor is a dick.
Instead of taking the high road, Guy tries to piss off neighbor, because #freedom #Merica
Pissing match ensues, local news called
HT is divided
Some support pissing off your jerk of a neighbor
Others support Peace over Justice.
Everyone agrees the neighbor is a dick.
Some HTers think the guy is probably a dick too.
1671134294284.png

"Where you grew up" is the key to this entire thread.
“And maybe it’s where I grew up in Western Illinois, but plenty of kids were already hunting by middle school. Hell, the first day of deer season was a school holiday.”

Hell it’s even in the first few paragraphs of the article.

Seriously those @TOGIE we have all done those things. This guy does it differently. A deer hanging in the front yard tree, porch, or driveway is as American as Apple pie where I grew up in PA. If someone didn't have one hanging by lunch on Tuesday you'd wonder if the person died.

i mean that’s cool. Great for you. i could say the say thing: No 👏🏻 Body 👏🏻 Cares 👏🏻

people are being overly sensitive about this. i suspect it's cause they also hang deer outside.

doesn't matter how he did anything. what matters is it seems that someone was bothered by it. that's the crux of the matter. just cause you can doesn't mean you should in every situation.

"i can shoot this moose with like 200 members of the public with their children watching" okay, you can and it's legal but you probably shouldn't do that. that's a bad news story right there and burns a few inches rather than gains a few inches. and the thing is, that's real, that guy actually did do that. and guess what? we as hunters actually watched the state game agency make the tags no longer legal for that area. we lost public land to hunt on. sweet. good work guy. flexing your muscles and flaunting you shit. thanks a lot.

there's nothing wrong with hanging deer outside and doing euros in the driveway. but I live somewhere else and do it differently because i gain nothing and could chip away at public support of hunting by bothering people in doing so. I guess I coulda hung my animals in the courtyard gazebo at the apartment complex. Because supposedly that the "as American as apple pie" thing to do and I don’t want to be anti American, right? But living in a city with demographics that mirror Boulder Colorado do you think I would be drawing positive or negative attention to hunting?

Last edited:
i'd just rather introduce my non hunting neighbors to my passion and pastime by inviting them over for some of hank shaws barbacoa and telling them the story about that pretty euro hanging on the wall
“Omg! I’ve been anti hunting my whole life! But that severed skull is beautiful! How did you keep the nasal passages intact?!?!
A sous vide?
Omg! Brilliant!”

This thread reminds me of the people at work that always bitch about changes and modernization with “well this isn’t the way we’ve always done it”

Weird how those people never get promoted

I will no longer be displaying any type of antler connected to skull in my home.
It’s just not worth the risk.
In the rare event of me harvesting an antlered animal I will saw each antler off individually, read the room and decide if i need to lie and say they’re sheds.
I will also be asking my neighbor .50mi away to remove the skull cap elk rack from his garage as I fear it might set back the future of hunting.

(*turns out my neighbor didn’t even shoot that elk. After years of making it the special spot on my runs where I’d look over and think “half a mile to go. Hammer time baby” I caught him working outside one day this summer and stopped in with my shirt off and asked him about it thinking we were gonna bro out as western hunters and he was like “yeah, some dude gave that to me”
Total bummer, but it still looks cool and I still step it up when I come by)

I will no longer be displaying any type of antler connected to skull in my home.
It’s just not worth the risk.
In the rare event of me harvesting an antlered animal I will saw each antler off individually, read the room and decide if i need to lie and say they’re sheds.
I will also be asking my neighbor .50mi away to remove the skull cap elk rack from his garage as I fear it might set back the future of hunting.
Best just burn them and give away the meat in case someone doesn't like what they see in your freezer. I hope you discarded all those squirrel tails..

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back