Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Interesting Prompt For Discussion - Deer Butchering in Public

So the solution to fighting the anti hunters is to go underground and change our ways to suit them?

That sure seems like surrender to me. You gotta fight fire with fire, you give up ground it’ll never be regained.
If my neighbor doesn't like when the kids leave their toys in the yard I tell the kids to clean them up and be more respectful of our neighbors - that is not retreating, it is living in a civil society. But I guess that makes me a "p&ssy" and I should throw more crap in my yard to show him I am a man.

Being obnoxious is neither right, nor effective.

Good grief.

I don't know this guy from adam, my remark was broader than that. A quick run through this thread and others like it has plenty of folks suggesting enthusiasm for actions that would upset even more townspeople under the guise that to do otherwise is "p&ssy". The real men I have known over the years had no problem hunting, shooting and going to war for their nation without feeling so insecure they had to shove it in the face of every person they met. They endured shocking hardships/circumstances, but still hugged their kids and cried at weddings. I reject the current false definition of macho-in-your-face manhood that seems so popular in "gun circles" these days. I am thankful that they taught me that a real man is caring and thoughtful of others under normal circumstances, but could rise with great courage when courage was called for. In 2022, hanging carcasses in your front yard across from an elementary school in town is not courage or manly, it is tone-deaf. He has the right to be tone-deaf if he wants, but it is hardly a badge of honor.
Is hanging a deer in a fricken tree really that deep? mtmuley

Actually was thinking about this a couple of days ago, and brings up a great point.

So yes I’m sure that would piss someone off, and as someone who does a lot of flying with meat I would be super annoyed if someone ruined the whole thing for the rest of us.

I fly with my dog all the time, and similarly folks who screw around with the service dog crap and let their dogs out of their carriers drive me crazy. Not because it offends me but because I don’t want Alaska Airlines to change the rules on pets.

Back to the point, when I do fly with meat in the cabin I make sure it’s absolutely not going to leak, in a dry bag with a towel around it to absorb condensation.

All it takes is some blood dripping out of the overhead bin and that gets shut down.

If I saw some dude in the news because he tried to board a plane with meijers bags of meat in a cardboard box which leaked all over the place I’d have a similar feeling to the guy in the news story.
It’s just off to me that someone would find fault in a fellow hunter for hanging a deee on their own private property then bring 50lbs of rifle hunted game inside a sealed tube of public transportation.

Is hanging a deer in a fricken tree really that deep? mtmuley
Again - not posting about that narrow a point. But I apologize for all future posts of mine that are not less than 10 words and may not be lasered to the most narrow read of a 10-page thread, as it will continue to happen.

If my neighbor doesn't like when the kids leave their toys in the yard I tell the kids to clean them up and be more respectful of our neighbors - that is not retreating, it is living in a civil society. But I guess that makes me a "p&ssy" and I should throw more crap in my yard to show him I am a man.

Being obnoxious is neither right, nor effective.

Good grief.
Something that was perfectly normal is now “obnoxious” because people tried to be polite, and so that is now lost.

We’re not talking about someone parking a junk car in their yard or painting their house flamingo pink, it’s a deer in a tree for a couple days.

I think many here are right in alluding to, as has been said before, "hunters hunt at the pleasure of nonhunters." So, we should try to engage in behavior and project an image of hunting that is as amenable as is reasonable.

I think the interesting discussion is where is the line where one no longer caters? What is reasonable?

Take two scenarios and a value statement about each:

"A guy hanging his deer from a tree in a yard in sight of all to see is tone deaf."

"A guy hiking out of public land on a popular trail, with bloody bags on his back, crossing paths with numerous nonhunters is tone deaf."

Somewhere between those two is a line. I don't claim the former couldn't navigate that line better, but I could also imagine very similar claims that are being made about this guy, could also be made about the latter, and it wouldn't be clear to me that the arguments of consequentialism - those being that we shouldn't offend the nonhunting public unnecessarily - wouldn't follow similarly.

Last edited:
It’s just off to me that someone would find fault in a fellow hunter for hanging a deee on their own private property then bring 50lbs of rifle hunted game inside a sealed tube of public transportation.
The parallel is if he opened up the cooler and proclaimed its contents on the playground during recess. I assume wllm did not shout out the presence of his meat and show it off (its ok to laugh at this point) to all on that plane.

Something that was perfectly normal is now “obnoxious” because people tried to be polite, and so that is now lost.

We’re not talking about someone parking a junk car in their yard or painting their house flamingo pink, it’s a deer in a tree for a couple days.
Some would prefer the flamingo - and that is the point of civil society, understanding the views of others.

Ultimately, I'm colored by my personal experiences.

A guy hanging a deer in a tree in his yard is a nothingburger to me. A guy who would bellyache to the press about his neighbor hanging a deer in his front yard is on par with guys who yell at the other team's kids at the first grade soccer game. I have a bias in favor of the Hunter.

But then again, this article seems to have been written with a lot of assumptions. It ain't journalism. It got our clicks. And I think many of the thoughts folks have about it, myself included, are probably being prescribed to what is really not the whole story.

Last edited:
Some would prefer the flamingo - and that is the point of civil society, understanding the views of others.
I understand the views of people, that doesn’t mean I have to cave to them nor them to me. The whole idea of someone having to do something perfectly legal that they do in order to not risk offending someone else’s view is goofy to me. But that’s society now.

I understand the views of people, that doesn’t mean I have to cave to them nor them to me. The whole idea of someone having to do something perfectly legal that they do in order to not risk offending someone else’s view is goofy to me. But that’s society now.
There is no point in American history where something that was routine 30 years ago hadn’t become less common and accepted in that moment. And every time folks lamented that change. Change is not new or just “now”.

There is no point in American history where something that was routine 30 years ago hadn’t become less common and accepted in that moment. And every time folks lamented that change. Change is not new or just “now”.
Changing for facts and changing for feelings is 2 different things.

It’s comical to me that these people will go to a grocery store, but pork chops from a hog raised in a pen, killed in a massive packing house owned by a huge corporation, then take the moral high ground when someone hangs a deer in their yard. If hanging a deer in the yard starts that conversation then I’m all for educating the modern “faux woke” on the matter.

The idea of attempting to not offend people who just feign this idea of doing the right thing and living in some fantasy/phony world of self righteousness is not something I think we should be pushing.

It’s comical to me that these people will go to a grocery store, but pork chops from a hog raised in a pen, killed in a massive packing house owned by a huge corporation, then take the moral high ground when someone hangs a deer in their yard. If hanging a deer in the yard starts that conversation then I’m all for educating the modern “faux woke” on the matter.

The idea of attempting to not offend people who just feign this idea of doing the right thing and living in some fantasy/phony world of self righteousness is not something I think we should be pushing.
Most of these faux woke people feel guilty about eating meat, but still can't shake their burger and bacon addiction. Complicated world we now live in.

Frankly - most of us in the middle are tired of both ends be “offended”, and then “being offended at the other’s offense” and then “being offended at the others offense to the original offense” . . . (recursive repeat chorus).

Frankly - most of us in the middle are tired of both ends be “offended”, and then “being offended at the other’s offense” and then “being offended at the others offense to the original offense” . . . (recursive repeat chorus).
Being offended is a symptom of a society that is so well off the general population has almost no problems in their daily lives and manufactures reasons to have problems.

You don’t see being “offended” by single moms working 2 jobs in the inner city, miners spending 12 hours a day underground, people that have terrible diseases, or their family members do. There’s no time for it. It’s a completely manufactured human emotion to fill the void.

There’s really no fixing it is is the way it is until some disaster resets it.

So the solution to fighting the anti hunters is to go underground and change our ways to suit them?

That sure seems like surrender to me. You gotta fight fire with fire, you give up ground it’ll never be regained.

This is a battle of ideas, our goal is continued societal acceptance.

How do you fight?

1. Hunting ethically, hunting lawfully.
2. Taking the higher road, not coming off like an a-hole
3. Being an ambassador for hunting.

One is pretty self explanatory.

Two, there are a components to this, is just don't try to piss people off, if you know it's gonna be a thing don't make it one. The second component is keeping your cool when getting confronted by anti-hunters, especially if it's on camera, record the incident yourself if you can. Don't curse at them, don't threaten them, tell them you are legally hunting, if you can resolve the incident by being polite call the cops. The victory here is demonstrating how unreasonable the other person is acting.

Three, lot of great folks on this forum. Just be yourself and don't hide that you hunt, goal is for people to be like "oh yeah hunting, well my buddy Will does that and he's a good guy, so yeah it should be legal." This probably isn't all that applicable if you live in rural areas where lots of folks hunt. When I lived in Bozeman definitely not something I was all that worried about. Entirely different story when we moved to Boston.

@DouglasR so about the heads, they are not hidden. Actually I think a applicable story here was thanksgiving. We had a bunch of people over, no one else hunts. We had turkey, some caribou pasties, and then a couple other entrees. It was a pretty mixed group of friends so we made sure there were some for everyone no matter their dietary restrictions, no vegans but some vegetarians . We have some Jewish and Muslim friends so this year I used beef suet instead of pork when I processed my caribou. Anyway we had dinner, we told everyone were the caribou came from, they all saw the euro... and yeah not much to report... "oh cool your hobby contributed to dinner, these pasties are really good." I don't use social media much beyond hunttalk but I post hunts other places occasionally where my non-hunting friends see them. I'm perfectly happy to accommodate folks that don't eat meat and they seem perfectly fine having a buddy that hunts.

I'd like to think there are a number of folks out there that are now more accepting of hunting because of me.

🤷‍♂️

This is a battle of ideas, our goal is continued societal acceptance.

How do you fight?

1. Hunting ethically, hunting lawfully.
2. Taking the higher road, not coming off like an a-hole
3. Being an ambassador for hunting.

One is pretty self explanatory.

Two, there are a components to this, is just don't try to piss people off, if you know it's gonna be a thing don't make it one. The second component is keeping your cool when getting confronted by anti-hunters, especially if it's on camera, record the incident yourself if you can. Don't curse at them, don't threaten them, tell them you are legally hunting, if you can resolve the incident by being polite call the cops. The victory here is demonstrating how unreasonable the other person is acting.

Three, lot of great folks on this forum. Just be yourself and don't hide that you hunt, goal is for people to be like "oh yeah hunting, well my buddy Will does that and he's a good guy, so yeah it should be legal." This probably isn't all that applicable if you live in rural areas where lots of folks hunt. When I lived in Bozeman definitely not something I was all that worried about. Entirely different story when we moved to Boston.

@DouglasR so about the heads, they are not hidden. Actually I think a applicable story here was thanksgiving. We had a bunch of people over, no one else hunts. We had turkey, some caribou pasties, and then a couple other entrees. It was a pretty mixed group of friends so we made sure there were some for everyone no matter their dietary restrictions, no vegans but some vegetarians . We have some Jewish and Muslim friends so this year I used beef suet instead of pork when I processed my caribou. Anyway we had dinner, we told everyone were the caribou came from, they all saw the euro... and yeah not much to report... "oh cool your hobby contributed to dinner, these pasties are really good." I don't use social media much beyond hunttalk but I post hunts other places occasionally where my non-hunting friends see them. I'm perfectly happy to accommodate folks that don't eat meat and they seem perfectly fine having a buddy that hunts.

I'd like to think there are a number of folks out there that are now more accepting of hunting because of me.

🤷‍♂️

I think you’re part of the Eisenhower crowd and I’m part of the Patton crowd in the battle to promote hunting. You do the thinking and planning, we’ll do the pistol whipping and swearing. It takes all kinds to win a war. 🤣

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back