Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Insulated Pads ?

Trigger50

Gonna buy my 1st serious backcountry sleeping pad for an upcoming archery elk hunt. I need ur opinions. Are the more expensive, heavier & bulkier insulated sleeping pads better than the standard or just a waste of $ and wieght in your pack ? Thanks

Last edited:
Tim,

For me it has alot to do with how tolerant you are of sleeping on the ground. Right now I am using a Z-lite Sol; which is a pretty cheap closed cell foam pad, but if you need a little extra cushion it might not be for you.

Run over to REI in bloomington and check the pads out they have. You might try a couple out and sleep on them outside on some rougher terrain to find out what your tolerances are. You are more than welcome to try out my Z-lite too.

Hey Ross,
I think that I have a Z-lite ? Its folds like a topo map & has grey squigglies? Ive slept on it at home...and I think that I need more cushion than that. I'm a fickle sleeper. I will be bringing plenty of sleeping pills. The z-lite is alittle bulky for my pack, I think. Ive strapped it to the bottom, but I dont like how wide it sits. To me it seems llike it would snag branches etc.

Last edited:
I sleep terrible when I'm backpacking. Tossing and turning all night. My old 1" thick Thermarest just doesn't cut it anymore. Most of the time these days I'm using a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore. The "I" beam design lets me sleep on my sides or back without any issues. I've found I can sleep on much colder ground with it than I ever could with my Thermarest. A few years ago my wife got an Exped Downmat 9. "I" beam design like the BA but with a higher R rating. It's sweet but a bit too heavy for lightweight backpacking trips. The internal hand pump mechanism takes some getting use to as well.

From someone you sleeps/camps just as much if not more in the winter (MT and ND), the Neoair works great (I am a side sleeper) with a quality sleeping bag (Western Mountaineering). I also typically add a bivy sac during the extreme cold weather.

Klymit Static V is the best pad I have used. I am a side sleeper and this pad keeps me elevated, no hip bone or shoulder digging into the ground. I'm 220lbs.it packs small as well about the size of a nalgene bottle.

http://klymit.shopgate.com/item/353337

I have heard good things about these. They might be the direction I go if I get rid of the z-lite.

Hey Ross,
I think that I have a Z-lite ? Its folds like a topo map & has grey squigglies? Ive slept on it at home...and I think that I need more cushion than that. I'm a fickle sleeper. I will be bringing plenty of sleeping pills. The z-lite is alittle bulky for my pack, I think. Ive strapped it to the bottom, but I dont like how wide it sits. To me it seems llike it would snag branches etc.

I stick mine under the daypack lid of my pack, but it is a little too bulky to go inside a pack.

Sleeping out of a backpack is definitely different for everyone, trial and error seems like the only way to really figure it out.

Thanks for the tips. I'm 5'10'' 165 lbs, & yes I'm a side sleeper !:D Haha I was checking out the Cabela's Instinct pads the other day on my weekly visit to cruise the bargain cave. If I had to guess it looks like BA makes the Cabela's Instinct pads. They have the same q shaped design. The insulated one was definitely bulkier & heavier. We are leaning towards early Sept because of a scheduling conflict mid sept & the full moon late sept. So, it will prob be on the warmer side for weather.

I have used my uninsulated BA AirCore down to below teens. Warmth was a bit of an issue in those temps, but comfort wasn't, which is why I'd take a hard look at the AirCore. For the time of year your going I'd highly suggest the uninsulated version to save on weight, bulk, and money. If you need to slightly bump the R-value, a cheap foam pad from Walmart will help some. Keep an eye on the BA Specials page. Often you can get a very good deal on their stuff that way. I know others have had issues with leaking on their pads, but I've had mine for over a decade and it still holds air quite well.

Most all my hunts are backpacking, I side sleep and toss and turn all night. My 10yr old Big Agnes insulated air core developed a slow leak in 2013 putting me on the ground at 2 am like clockwork. After puffing some air in it I would be wide awake, not fun.

I bought a Klymit static-v for this years hunt and really like it. Blows up fast, packs very small and is super light. My recommendation is buy an uninsulated pad and if it will be 25 or below use a closed cell foam like mentioned above.

I contacted Big Agnes about my old pad out of curiosity and they shipped me back the new thicker insulated air core for free. I received it in time to use at the end of this season and must say it is pretty nice. I've got to give the "comfy factor" to the thicker B.A pad simply because it has about 1" on the static-v but it does weight a few ounces more.

Sleeping on the ground is definately for you young guys. I sure can't do it anymore.

Rei has a bargain cave type place and does a garage sale once or twice a year as well. I have an insulated BA that I've been happy with, but tech has changed a lot over just the last five years. The biggest complaints I've read about with the newer ultra light pads have been noise and after looking at the thermarest neo-air I can understand that complaint.

Depends on what you think bulky and heavy are? The ExPed down mats are really nice, but not something I'd pack unless it was winter camping. I wouldn't buy a pad without insulation, what happens when you want to go on a hunt in the later seasons? They only cost a few bucks more, extra bulk/weight is only a few ounces, and the cost is negligible, uninsulated vs. insulated.

I used BA Insulated Air Core for years, but after 3, I won't buy another.... They all have developed slow leeks, with a expected life of about 3 seasons.

I switched to a Nemo Insulated Astro Lite this year, so far I like it better than the BA. The built in pillow was worth the extra $ over another BA pad. My bag stays on it a bit better, it packs smaller and is lighter. Packed size is about 4"x8", a bit smaller than a nalgeen bottle. I also pack a 1/3 of a Z-Lite pad, for sitting around camp, and placing it under my hips under the pad to protect the pad and offer a bit more padding. The seat part is great for wet or snowy conditions, nice to have a dry place to sit and relax.

IMO the absolute best way to keep your stamina and energy up on a mountain hunt, is to get a good nights rest.

Good luck on your hunt and planning.

Now if I could just find a pair of gaiters what would last longer than half a hunting season...

Back