Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

InReach or Zoleo?

I just ordered the Zoleo yesterday. I've never used the in reach so I'll be unable to compare but will post thoughts after my hint at the end of October

i cannot weigh in on the Zoleo because i do not have one, but i spent the past 2 months in and out of a large wilderness area with absolutely no cell service. i was able to talk to my fiance everyday and just tell her that i am indeed not dead courtesy of grizzly bears yet. I used the InReach Explorer plus. it was great, and i will continue to use it in perpetuity until it becomes obsolete.

I've been considering one of these for a while since I do a fair amount of solo hunting in grizzly country. I wish they had an option that was similar to a TracPhone where you could prepay for the service rather than a monthly contract. But I guess that's how they get ya... And it's a small price to pay if it saves your bacon. My concern is that if a grizzly get me, there may not be much left by the time help arrives. :ROFLMAO:

They do allow you to activate it just for a month at a time. But nothing on a per message sent basis.

They do allow you to activate it just for a month at a time. But nothing on a per message sent basis.

I am kind of annoyed with the Inreachs yearly device activation fee on top of the per month cost. I bit the bullet and it was certainly worth it during elk season, but the total per month cost is pretty high if I only use it 1 or 2 months a year.

I am kind of annoyed with the Inreachs yearly device activation fee on top of the per month cost. I bit the bullet and it was certainly worth it during elk season, but the total per month cost is pretty high if I only use it 1 or 2 months a year.
I paid the activation fee once years ago and subsequently pay a monthly fee of $12 (annual plan). I like the InReach because there are many times and locations where there is no cell coverage in interior Alaska (spring bear hunts, summer canoeing/backpacking, fall hunts, winter cross country skiing, etc.

I have the Inreach explorer + sync to my phone for the simplicity of texting. Works great and the SOS saved my hunting partner last year. I go in to my account and change plans as needed through out the year.

I've had the inreach mini for 9 months now. I'll echo what others are saying about the app being a little glitchy but that wasn't a big deal, mildly annoying at best. I also agree having the screen, gps, and messaging all standalone on the device is reassuring, and the free presets are a plus too. If the hunting is going slow I sling presets like it's going out of style, my wife can probably tell when I'm not seeing anything by the frequency of "hiking everything's going good" messages she gets! So all things considered very happy with it.

Anyone have long term use report on the Zoleo?
not necessarily "Long term" but I've been using one quite a bit for a couple of months now, having used an inreach pretty extensively over the last couple of years I'm way happier with the Zoleo, way faster messaging and it seems to work with much less sky visible, in the bottom of canyons and against cliffs, pretty common situations that seem to give the inreach much more trouble. Personally, I like the lack of maps and all the other stuff that Garmin includes in it's app, I have better options for pretty much all the other things, I just want texting/ emergency comms, the Zoleo streamlines these and seems to work much better without all the extras.

I have had the inReach for a few years and am happy with it. My buddy just got the Zoleo this year and brought it along on our two week trip we were just on. Overall, I was pretty impressed with it. Compared to the inReach, the messaging capability is indeed much easier on the Zoleo. If I didn't already have an inReach, I would go with the Zoleo as well.

I have had the inReach for a few years and am happy with it. My buddy just got the Zoleo this year and brought it along on our two week trip we were just on. Overall, I was pretty impressed with it. Compared to the inReach, the messaging capability is indeed much easier on the Zoleo. If I didn't already have an inReach, I would go with the Zoleo as well.
How’s it easier don’t you still just download an app and text through the app.

I’ve had the garmin mini 3 years now, had one weird text glitch that cleared after I downloaded an update.

Hardware is durable, it works standalone if you broke your phone, it has tracking, it has a robust web portal so you loved ones can see where your messages came from and view your route progress.

I can see other options making more sense for different use cases. If you want to just extend your phones range for hunting WY, I think one of the less robust platforms, if you are replacing a satellite phone on long fly in trips I would buy the most robust device you can.

I've been considering one of these for a while since I do a fair amount of solo hunting in grizzly country. I wish they had an option that was similar to a TracPhone where you could prepay for the service rather than a monthly contract. But I guess that's how they get ya... And it's a small price to pay if it saves your bacon. My concern is that if a grizzly get me, there may not be much left by the time help arrives. :ROFLMAO:
They do have Emergency GPS units (PLB Personal Locator Beacons) for just that, an emergency and nothing else. U pay one time and its own built in battery is good for some 10years or something like that.
ARC Electronics seems to be most popular

Back