Caribou Gear

InReach or Zoleo?

I bought a SPOT in '06 and it keeps working as advertised. Haven't used the 911 button.... yet.

I wouldn't want to deactivate it when not hunting, I keep in my truck otherwise just in case.

I like the option of using the Inreach without a phone if needed, although I mainly use my Mini with the app, as it makes it a ton easier.

Always have my phone with, but in case I lost it or it died, I can still communicate with the Inreach as a stand alone.

This answers the question I had. My buddy has the Garmin mini, I was thinking of getting a Zoleo for comparison and price reasons but was concerned about being able to communicate with each other while hunting. Do both parties have to have both apps to be able to communicate using these two different devices?
Nope, I could text a jet boat outfitter and arrange extraction on a river trip without complications.

I've been using an Inreach mini and I have to say, while it works, it sometimes takes a bit of time for the messages to send/receive even with clear skies. Overall I haven't had any trouble with it except for the occasional message delays. I use it with my iPhone and Garmin watch with no sync issues. You can create your own pre-set messages and assign them to contacts so I will probably keep using it until it dies.

does anyone know if the zoleo has a feature where if I haven't checked in a 3rd party can relay my last coordinates to a search party?

looking at one for horseback riding and there are 2 scenarios that I can see: fall off broken bones SOS, fall off concussion (or worse) so not hitting the SOS and would like to pick a product to expedite search & rescue efforts if needed.

for a 3-4 month/year use it seems that the garmin messenger might be the best bang for the buck bringing purchase cost down a bit closer to zoleo but also cheaper cost to run on the lowest setting since i often don't need to text

You can set the Zoleo to send auto updates with coordinates or you can manually send the message that has coordinates. I have it set on mine and my wife knows that if she doesn't hear from me by a certain time, she can send the coordinates that she has.

You can set the Zoleo to send auto updates with coordinates or you can manually send the message that has coordinates. I have it set on mine and my wife knows that if she doesn't hear from me by a certain time, she can send the coordinates that she has.
do you know how often the auto update sends? and is that the extra $6 location share?

do you know how often the auto update sends? and is that the extra $6 location share?
Yes. If you want the Zoleo to automatically do it, it will be an extra $6/month. If you get that service, it will send the message and leave a 'bread crumb' trail for where you are and where you have been. You can also select your own interval for how often it auto sends.

The other option though, is to not pay the $6/month and just use the 'check-in' feature. There is a little icon on the top of the app that will send your coordinates to your 'chick-in' person. You just have to be the one to send it. So, theoretically, if you sent it 2 times per day, and then you didn't send it, they would still have a good idea of where you are and where you have been.

Yes. If you want the Zoleo to automatically do it, it will be an extra $6/month. If you get that service, it will send the message and leave a 'bread crumb' trail for where you are and where you have been. You can also select your own interval for how often it auto sends.

The other option though, is to not pay the $6/month and just use the 'check-in' feature. There is a little icon on the top of the app that will send your coordinates to your 'chick-in' person. You just have to be the one to send it. So, theoretically, if you sent it 2 times per day, and then you didn't send it, they would still have a good idea of where you are and where you have been.
You can also manually hit the check mark on the actual zoleo device and do the same thing if your phone was dead or you didn’t want to pull it out. I keep mine on my shoulder strap and it would be very easy to do. CDD80BDA-06AC-4D23-A6FF-7EB87E7B6F93.jpeg

You can also manually hit the check mark on the actual zoleo device and do the same thing if your phone was dead or you didn’t want to pull it out. I keep mine on my shoulder strap and it would be very easy to do. View attachment 256275
That's right! I had forgotten about that, but it's a nice feature.

my problem is i'm looking at something that will track without a physical touch. the morbid side of me, if i'm riding my horse we can cover ground, but if i fall off and am either knocked out or dead, it's easier to know where i've been for the past 3 hours stationary vs where i was the last time I hit the check in 3 intersections ago

The bread crumb option for $6 a month is what you would be needing Tim629.

my problem is i'm looking at something that will track without a physical touch. the morbid side of me, if i'm riding my horse we can cover ground, but if i fall off and am either knocked out or dead, it's easier to know where i've been for the past 3 hours stationary vs where i was the last time I hit the check in 3 intersections ago
Based on your concern, $6/mo for the automatic location share seems like a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back