InReach or Zoleo?

44hunter45

Planning for SE Alaska 2021. Mrs45 wants me to have SMS and SOS.

Looking to hear from someone who has used both products.

Cost of unit, cost of plan, etc.

Reactions: JCS
It depends on how often you will be using it.

Marcus just did a good youtube video comparison on them on the Randy Newberg YouTube channel.

If you use it infrequently the InReach is a little cheaper. I use the safety plan which is only $15 a month when I have it activated and there isn't a monthly charge when it isn't activated, just a one time per year $25 charge.

The Zoleo is $20 per month when activated and $4 per month when it is not activated. If you use them both 2 months out of the year the InReach will run you $55 and the Zoleo will run you $80.

I'm not sure what network the Zoleo uses but the Irridium network that InReach uses is considerably better than the network that the SPOT uses.

It depends on how often you will be using it.

Marcus just did a good youtube video comparison on them on the Randy Newberg YouTube channel.

If you use it infrequently the InReach is a little cheaper. I use the safety plan which is only $15 a month when I have it activated and there isn't a monthly charge when it isn't activated, just a one time per year $25 charge.

The Zoleo is $20 per month when activated and $4 per month when it is not activated. If you use them both 2 months out of the year the InReach will run you $55 and the Zoleo will run you $80.

I'm not sure what network the Zoleo uses but the Irridium network that InReach uses is considerably better than the network that the SPOT uses.

Been looking at these a lot since Macrus' video popped up.

Zoleo uses Irridium as well.

Garmin is $350 vs. Zoleo at $200. That savings up front covers 6 years of subscription cost difference for the Zoleo.

The messaging via app appears to be way better for the Zoleo, and if the receiver of the message also has the app the message can be up to 950 characters (allowing you to reduce total messages sent by sending longer messages).

The monthly plans cost about the same, but Zoleo give you more messages. HOWEVER, all messages sent via satellite use those messages for Zoleo. Meaning that every time you press the "check in" button you use one of your messages. I don't have the Garmin but from what I can tell, the "preset" messages don't count towards your message count.

Yes. I use the preset messages several times a day and they don't count against your number.

The safety plan is just 10 messages a month or something like that and I never go over that because all I do is the preset check in buttons unless we kill something or someone needs to send me a message.

Yes. I use the preset messages several times a day and they don't count against your number.

The safety plan is just 10 messages a month or something like that and I never go over that because all I do is the preset check in buttons unless we kill something or someone needs to send me a message.
With the inreach are your free preset messages sent to a phone as a text message or as an email?
I have only sent them as an email. It would be more convenient for my wife as a text message.

I like the garmin InReach better. You can find them on sale once in awhile or buy with REI 10% back. Archery hunted remote Alaska back in 1989 no GPS or cell phones, just common sense, a bow & pistol. Rather be safe than sorry hence the pistol.

When the app is being a pain in the sack which happens on both of them from time to time its nice to be able to resort to typing a message out on the inreach directly instead thru the phone app and Bluetooth. For that reason alone I choose inreach, plus u can download maps to your phones earthmate app with inreach just a bonus.

I still like that the mini has a visual display. I can check quick return messages or weather data without having to mess with my phone if I want. Is it worth the price difference? I'm not sure.

When the app is being a pain in the sack which happens on both of them from time to time its nice to be able to resort to typing a message out on the inreach directly instead thru the phone app and Bluetooth. For that reason alone I choose inreach, plus u can download maps to your phones earthmate app with inreach just a bonus.
That's the one issue I see with the zoleo is apps just get glitchy sometimes, odds are it would be when I need it most.

Was up in the hills a few weeks back & my phone was having a hard time syncing with my Inreach via Bluetooth for some reason. It was hot so we were killing some time at camp. Tried syncing the phone to Inreach and opposite way. Sometimes it would work but gave up eventually. Inreach sometimes took a while to send a message also. Not a good thing if you have to hit the SOS button.

I haven't had a chance to contact Garmin, maybe my software needs updating? Was nice to check in even with the cell phone app not working.

That's the one issue I see with the zoleo is apps just get glitchy sometimes, odds are it would be when I need it most.

I figure that as long as I can send the "I'm ok" message or an SOS I can wait for the app to stop being glitchy. Initial reviews I've seen to insinuate that the app for Zoleo is simpler and more stable. But it's still relatively new, so who knows?

Was up in the hills a few weeks back & my phone was having a hard time syncing with my Inreach via Bluetooth for some reason. It was hot so we were killing some time at camp. Tried syncing the phone to Inreach and opposite way. Sometimes it would work but gave up eventually. Inreach sometimes took a while to send a message also. Not a good thing if you have to hit the SOS button.

I haven't had a chance to contact Garmin, maybe my software needs updating? Was nice to check in even with the cell phone app not working.

That reminds of another thing I liked about Zoleo, over the air updates. No plugging it into your computer.

With the inreach are your free preset messages sent to a phone as a text message or as an email?
I have only sent them as an email. It would be more convenient for my wife as a text message.

You can set it up to send them as a text message or an email. I think up to 5 people.

You get 3 different preset messages that don’t count against you. I have a “getting going this morning”, “just checking in, everything is okay”, and “back at camp for the night” as mine but my wife doesn’t like getting texts as early as I am getting going in the morning and sometimes I forget to do the back at camp for the night one so I’ve just started using the “just checking in” one for everything. Not sure what to do with the other preset ones.

I figure that as long as I can send the "I'm ok" message or an SOS I can wait for the app to stop being glitchy. Initial reviews I've seen to insinuate that the app for Zoleo is simpler and more stable. But it's still relatively new, so who knows?

That reminds of another thing I liked about Zoleo, over the air updates. No plugging it into your computer.

I’m pretty sure my InReach did a firmware update last year I think without plugging it in. Was pretty surprised.

A couple of my friends who were hunting colorado archery elk this year kept me updated on their hunt via an inreach and a zoleo. The guy with the inreach said he was struggling to send and receive messages all week while the one with the zoleo was like having a undelayed conversation via text.

I personally have an inreach and at times will receive multiple messsges all at once and occasionally struggle to send them. I’m not about to get rid of it though since it only cost me $36.

Inreach for sure. Paring a devise to yuh our phone is great, works fantastic...till it dont. Also you left managing two batteries in the back county..
I like redundancy of the Inreach, messinging and GPS all together. My phone shits the bed and I can do everything on the inreach.

think about SpotX as an option , has a keyboard to type on and has the same priceing. I work search and rescue so please if you have any of these send the " i am ok message" at least daily this time of year we get a ton of calls from spouses who have not heard from husbands and are concerned and call dispatch with questions. Also it is better to be able to send a message with the details of the emergency so the proper response team can be dispatched with equipment that can respond effectively with minimal delay.

I've been using an old Inreach for years independent of a smartphone and
I like there is no additional charge for the 3 preset messages,
my monthly bill is $12.99,
my wife can text me from home with her phone,
I can post a map of my movement every 4 hours to selected users if I want,
and the battery life is excellent...I used it every night for the past 14 days to send a preset message "safe back at camp"
and my battery was 90 percent remaining when I got back in town yesterday.

Plus inreach can send text to standard emails
and smartphones if you do have cell service.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back