Inreach Location Information

KayakMacGyver

An acquaintance has agreed to rent me his inreach to use for a couple of weeks. I lost mine and need it in a pinch.

Note I said acquaintance. I don't have any interest in sharing location information with this person, particularly as I plan on hunting some areas that I consider honey holes.

Is there a way to send messages from the inreach without allowing the location to be tracked? It's been a while since I've been in the settings, though I distinctly remember being able to set intervals for location sharing and logging into ones account to manage those settings as well.

In short, I'd like to know if I can run his device incognito or if he'll have some way to be able to change settings on the fly to view my location.

Signed,
I'm a sandbagger

Yes, have an old guy like me set it up. The first year we used them in Alaska I was sending messages back to the lodge with out the location information. Boss had to contact the pilot to find out where he dropped me.

If the acquaintance has access to the account, he will be able to view the messages and location. The recipient of a message may not get the location tag, but all that info is visible in the account webpage.
Yep. I think you'd have to somehow swap the email address for the account for the unit. Not sure that's realistic, although if you are renting it and there's an exchange of money I'd say you have an argument to keept the data to yourself

He’s going to find your honey holes as soon as he logs into his account just like others have said.
Buy yourself a zoleo and have it 2 day shipped.
I have an inreach myself but for half the cost I’d be getting the other one. I hunt with guys that have them and they work just as good.
I’d spend $200 before giving someone intel on spots I hunt if I really don’t want them knowing.

Appreciate everyone's input. I had a feeling he'd still he able to access the info no matter what, but couldn't remember for sure.

Probably just going to suck it up and buy another one before the trip.

He’s going to find your honey holes as soon as he logs into his account just like others have said.
Buy yourself a zoleo and have it 2 day shipped.
I have an inreach myself but for half the cost I’d be getting the other one. I hunt with guys that have them and they work just as good.
I’d spend $200 before giving someone intel on spots I hunt if I really don’t want them knowing.
I've been really impressed with my zoleo so far. I've used it in deep canyons and high peaks here in Colorado and when we went finishing in far north manitoba, worked there too as we were bouncing around by boat. There are some features it is missing, but for the cost, its worth it so save your location data from eager eyes

@KayakMacGyver costco.com $299.99. Order today and get it Wednesday. You must be a member

GoHunt lists for $100 more, but code Randy will reduce that percentage plus get $20 towards a future purchase in the store if a member.

Back