Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Influenced

Nope, nothing by today's influencers. I was influenced by my father and uncle and their hunting partners. I tried to emulate them and how they hunted. Think I got it figured out without someone on the internet via YT or blogs telling me how I need to wear this brand or carry this rifle or shoot that far to be able to put game meat in the freezer. Carry on

The truth is hunters are easily influenced. Look at how all the hunters on TV shows are constantly selling stuff. The manufacturers do not do that for fun, they do it because hunters will go buy brand X if TV hunter tells them to. Boots, camo, optics, trucks, tires, GPS, etc you name it.

A perfect example is Vortex. There is not another group of optics users who loves Vortex like hunters. They have convinced hunters that selling cheap optics that break all the time is great, all because of the warranty. Hunters are easily duped as they go by brand, not by specs, which educated folks like birders are much better at. Birders are going to be discussing minute details in the spec sheets and going over which factory in Asia made them, meanwhile hunters will tell you about how their last one broke but it was under warranty so Vortex is great. They have no idea on the type of prism, FOV, what factories make certain brands, etc.. I hate to be mean but it's true. Vortex has done a great job of marketing and using hunting influencers to build that brand into what it is today. But they are not popular because they are the best optics for the $. They just have the best marketing.

It would be interesting to know which products hunting influencers promote that have not provided them any compensation for.

I suspect that's a pretty short list.

I joined instantgrams and the thing started showing me a lot of pitchers of scantily clad hunting and fishing types in the feedings so now I am taking a lot of pitchers of myself wearing very little but Im not getting the response I hoped for. Can anyone help me? Is it because I dont have breasts?

Wait...

Crap, this may not be the place for this info. No one read what I wrote!

Guilty.
I wear camo...western type workwear in rural SW NM. I blend right in.
Get busted every day wearing Lowa boots tho.
Looked down on by the pointy and square toe ones.

By the way, who came up with oversized square point boots and board stiff shovel shaped lids?

Nevermind...carry on.

If you have the internet, you're influenced. If you're on this site, you're influenced. How many of you wear Sitka, rock Leupold scopes, use MR backpacks, use Onx on your phone, use a Howa Rifle, wear Kenetreks ? I bet there's a fair number and I bet that Randy played a role in getting many of you to try one of these brands!

Rifle
A long time ago I thought I needed a 270 because of Jack, then Remington made the classic in 264 so I bought that rifle instead.
Binoculars
I don't think any influencer is peddling 15x Zeiss
Knives
Dad bought me a Gerber when I was 12, I still mostly use Gerber
Clothing
Blue Jeans and Carhart for me

Last edited:
Back