Caribou Gear Tarp

In other wolf news

Gardiner naturalist and biologist Nathan Varley, who runs the Yellowstone Wolf Tracker guiding service, said skittish wolves are his biggest concern and a worst-case scenario for his business.

“Wolves that survive hunting events, they quickly learn that there’s survival value in avoiding humans,” Varley said. “And we’ve relied extensively on wolves that do not have that

Hold on, we'll get ya a whambulance.

Maybe he can apply for funds to cover his losses like ranchers do
Heck, not just ranchers, cares act / ppp. It’s the American way. Heck you only need to think you might have losses or a company

Hmmm...

“We have multiple females pregnant in at least two packs — Junction and Wapiti — that could be due to the mortality that we’ve experienced,” Smith said. “It’s broken apart the social structure, it’s messed with the hierarchy, and it’s actually produced more pups. Now this is a hypothesis, but this is what I would call an artificial stimulation of wolf reproductive capacity. By going in and killing them, you stimulate reproduction.”

So, in a nutshell, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming "80%" of wolf deaths are attributed to humans thus, wolf hunters and trappers have single handedly significantly increased the Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana wolf population - per the theorized basis in the article. ;)

Hmmm...

“We have multiple females pregnant in at least two packs — Junction and Wapiti — that could be due to the mortality that we’ve experienced,” Smith said. “It’s broken apart the social structure, it’s messed with the hierarchy, and it’s actually produced more pups. Now this is a hypothesis, but this is what I would call an artificial stimulation of wolf reproductive capacity. By going in and killing them, you stimulate reproduction.”

So, in a nutshell, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming "80%" of wolf deaths are attributed to humans thus, wolf hunters and trappers have single handedly significantly increased the Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana wolf population - per the theorized basis in the article. ;)
Read same theory in regards to coyote expansion as well

Didn’t they already document multiple females with pups within the same pack after reintroduction in the 90’s?

It was covered extensively back in the 90s. American Wolf talks about one pack that ended up at like 28 wolves. I think it may have been the Mollie's.

It happens with wolves. I don’t believe it's the same as the compensative pup increase in coyotes though.

I think we might have to wait and count the wolves, because pregnant females don't equal more wolves necessarily. In the study that I remember many packs still only raise one litter.
Doug Smith isn't likely to tell you that.

If it increases the wolf population then they should be all for it, but they are not all for it. Which leads me to believe what I believed before their last spin session.

Hmmm...

Would that theory surprise you if true? I see it as unintended consequences. We have seen these types of effects often.

I'll take, "truth" over theory any day. Might support my belief there are 14 million woofs in Montana... if true. ;)

I'll take, "truth" over theory any day. Might support my belief there are 14 million woofs in Montana... if true. ;)
But it is hard data..."The custom is reflected in 27 years of hard data: 85% of the time, park packs produce single litters.". The conclusion is not a robust scientific study over a two decades but it should make you curious.

These days people seem to want their "truth" more than the Truth.

"Turnover among primary males may occur through natural mortality or by exploitation by humans. Low exploitation rates by hunting and trapping therefore may contribute to multiple litters if alpha males are removed and other pack members remain. This change in social structure could conceivably increase reproductive output of a wolf population sufficient to offset population declines from human exploitation."
I'd say Montana may need to add this conceivable possibility into their POM metrics, if it holds merit to adjust #'s.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back