In Need- Elk Pack.

BrowningBLR

Looking for an internal pack. $250 is the budget. Longest trip in this pack will be 3 days, 2 nights- tops. Routinely put 10-15 miles a day. Mainly for achery season but also a little rifle. Obviously needs to pack some weight once I get one on the ground...

Suggestions?

Keep your eye on the classifieds here and over on rokslide. I've seen a couple of the Mystery Ranch internals (Dragonslayer) for about your price point. the mountaineering companies make good bags for 2-3 day trips if you don't require camo. REI, Arcteyrx, etc. None will excel at hauling heavy loads of meat compared to packs with frames designed to do so. It can be done though, I used to use a north face internal for short trips until I bought a crew cab.

I guess I am looking a certain types, makes and models. I have done some research- just can't find what I like....

Kelty Redcloud and Coyote are an option... but they are loud.
Eberlstock X2 is also an option... not completely sold on it.

Looked at a lot of external frames but I want internal.....

Looked at REI and some other places... nothing really I'm in love with. Color options are definitely important- don't want a red or blue pack for archery..

Last edited:
Buy a badlands 2200 and go hunting. I've done more trips like you describe with this pack than I can count. Lots of buddies done the same. I use it for all my hunts, have everything with my I need and can pack lots of meat.

Buy a badlands 2200 and go hunting. I've done more trips like you describe with this pack than I can count. Lots of buddies done the same. I use it for all my hunts, have everything with my I need and can pack lots of meat.

I like the looks of it! Never really looked at Badlands before... also like the looks of the Badlands Sacrifice.

Last edited:
ILBE if you are not too tall.
HD
I was home with a sick kid today so looked at a lot of information on these, including some posts of yours I think over on 24hour. If I decide to get an internal, it would likely be the one, especially given the price you can find one for on eBay.

I've used mine for the last five years, have packed perhaps 8 elk, 6 deer, and a few goats out. It will carry as much weight as you can. I carry everything i need with extras, but can still pack all the meat I can carry back to the rig for a frame. Take the internal bars out and throw in machines to clean and dry. They won't recommend this but... After five seasons of abuse, sending in for a little tlc. Lifetime warranty on the packs not the buyer, no bs.

I just spent over 12 hours on the internet doing research on backpacks for elk hunting. I just ordered the New Kuiu Ultra Series 6000 at 3.5lbs with a load shelf. All for $349.99 Pack isn't out yet, but Kuiu is taking pre-orders.

I like the looks of it! Never really looked at Badlands before... also like the looks of the Badlands Sacrifice.

I elk hunted with a guy that uses the sacrifice this last year. He loves it. I tried it and I'd like it too.

He can overnight with it no problem.

I have an X2, I probably wouldn't use it for an elk pack even though it is my favorite deer pack. You would need the super spike duffle to get all gear you wanted.I would get a bigger pack even though the X2 probably would handle an elk quarter no problem.

I really like the blacks creek packs,,,there shoulder strap and other adjustments really fell better than alot of other packs ive had,,,mine is internal frame,around $250 but i cant remember what model it is off the top of my head.They also are the makers of the mathews day pack that i have and like alot also.

I have the Badlands 2800. Bought it a few years ago for right around $250. Has served me well so far. Buddy has the 2200 and really likes it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back