Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

In moments like these...

Brian in Montana

There have been a number of memorable moments in my life when I've found myself completely out of my element, looked up and went, "Man... I am such a hillbilly.". Yesterday was one of those times.

I'd been out at the range in my Carhartts most of the day, working on a couple of rifles, then had to rush home, change clothes, haul butt to Butte High and judge a debate tournament. My oldest daughter is on the Speech/Debate Team and I got voluntold to help out. I guess they'll just let anybody into these things.

Policy. Man, those kids really did well. Very prepared and practiced. I really kind of felt like they were being short-changed by drawing me as their judge. I took copious notes and was as fair as I could have been in my inexperience.

I actually missed most of the new judges orientation because I was at a meeting for the Butte Wrestling Club. 😅

Policy. Man, those kids really did well. Very prepared and practiced. I really kind of felt like they were being short-changed by drawing me as their judge. I took copious notes and was as fair as I could have been in my inexperience.

I actually missed most of the new judges orientation because I was at a meeting for the Butte Wrestling Club. 😅
If you ever end up judging in national competition, do me a solid and always vote against teams from Kansas.

There have been a number of memorable moments in my life when I've found myself completely out of my element, looked up and went, "Man... I am such a hillbilly.". Yesterday was one of those times.

I'd been out at the range in my Carhartts most of the day, working on a couple of rifles, then had to rush home, change clothes, haul butt to Butte High and judge a debate tournament. My oldest daughter is on the Speech/Debate Team and I got voluntold to help out. I guess they'll just let anybody into these things.
In Butte anyway. 😉 Are there still two high schools in Butte? I'm probably aging myself asking the question. Back in my day Billings, Butte, Havre, Helena, Great Falls all had two schools. Missoula had three: Loyola, Hellgate, and what was the other ... Public? Kalispell should have been split but they dodged the bullet for fifty years just to unfairly dominate AA sports. What happened with Bozeman? They must have at least a couple of HSs by now.

Glad to see you expanding your horizons, Brian. My philosophy has always been nothing is ever out of my element ... except skydiving. Do you officiate wrestling too?

I think your well-rounded brother…you used hillbilly, cereal, policy, and copious in the same thread👍🏻

Good on you for keeping involved with the kids, some of my fondest memories were coaching and volunteering through the schools!

Glad to see you expanding your horizons, Brian. My philosophy has always been nothing is ever out of my element ... except skydiving. Do you officiate wrestling too?
Naw... wrastlin's fake.

Actually, that was a parents meeting. My other daughter is in wrestling.

How about that: one daughter in Speech/Debate, the other in wrestling. Can't make that up. 😅

If you ever end up judging in national competition, do me a solid and always vote against teams from Kansas.

Hey now, just you hold up there @np307 :)

@Brian in Montana good for you to “volunteer“ to judge. I did forensics competition in high school, and then “got to” judge for when my son‘s high school hosted forensic and debate competitions. Debate judging cost me some prime turkey hunting mornings, but worth it in the end.

Back