Caribou Gear Tarp

I’m that guy.

Southern Elk

A buddy and I drew the unit ## type 1 tag with an average of 13 points. I had 14 and he had 12. Looks like it was 85% at 13 points, so we feel good about getting the most out of our points.

I did a ton of researching and calculating leading up to the draw and we felt like this unit was the one for us. I spoke with a game warden and biologist. We were hoping to hunt archery and rifle if necessary, but prior to the draw it was changed to rifle only. I was bummed because bow hunting is my passion. I thought about switching to a different unit, but my buddy wanted to stick with unit ##.

I’m not interested in putting specific info out on a public forum. What I am interested in is talking to guys who have either hunted there or that are familiar with the unit. Please PM me if you are willing to talk.

To the guys who might say it’s not best unit or I wouldn’t have used that many points on that tag, I get it, but this is a once in a lifetime hunt for us and we plan to make the most of it.

Let the welcome to Hunt Talk jokes fly.

Last edited:
A buddy and I drew the unit 45 type 1 tag with an average of 13 points. I had 14 and he had 12. Looks like it was 85% at 13 points, so we feel good about getting the most out of our points.

I did a ton of researching and calculating leading up to the draw and we felt like this unit was the one for us. I spoke with a game warden and biologist. We were hoping to hunt archery and rifle if necessary, but prior to the draw it was changed to rifle only. I was bummed because bow hunting is my passion. I thought about switching to a different unit, but my buddy wanted to stick with unit 45.

I’m not interested in putting specific info out on a public forum. What I am interested in is talking to guys who have either hunted there or that are familiar with the unit. Please PM me if you are willing to talk.

To the guys who might say it’s not best unit or I wouldn’t have used that many points on that tag, I get it, but this is a once in a lifetime hunt for us and we plan to make the most of it.

Good luck with your guys hunt bud, I’ll be watching this thread!

Congrats! That’s a unit I’ve been considering myself, excited to see how it goes for you. I keep being a point or two behind things it seems

I forgot to mention that the friend who is hunting with me is my elk hunting mentor. He put me on my first bull back in 2007. He’s getting older and thinks this could be his last hunt. He’s in great shape and I have no doubt that he can handle it. My number one priority is getting him a nice bull.

The unit is only 5.5 hours from me. I plan to scout it this summer.

A buddy and I drew the unit 45 type 1 tag with an average of 13 points. I had 14 and he had 12. Looks like it was 85% at 13 points, so we feel good about getting the most out of our points.

I did a ton of researching and calculating leading up to the draw and we felt like this unit was the one for us. I spoke with a game warden and biologist. We were hoping to hunt archery and rifle if necessary, but prior to the draw it was changed to rifle only. I was bummed because bow hunting is my passion. I thought about switching to a different unit, but my buddy wanted to stick with unit 45.

Welcome to Hunttalk.

Seriously though, make sure to get the details on beer availability and road glassing opportunities in case I don't pull my tag in CO and come "assist".

Welcome to Hunttalk.

Seriously though, make sure to get the details on beer availability and road glassing opportunities in case I don't pull my tag in CO and come "assist".
We already know there’s a brewery nearby that you like. What else do you need to know?

Quick Update:

We are planning a scouting trip for mid August. I was put in touch with a friend of friend who used to guide in this unit and is willing to help. He told me that we have a very special tag and it will be a great hunt. I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve never killed what I consider to be a really big bull. I think this may be my best chance to make that happen.

Good luck on your hunt. I'm definitely interested in seeing how it goes. I am more than likely going to put in for the type 9 tag next year in 45

I hunted that unit last year, the one thing I can tell you is that it is ROUGH country, I would try to go earlier than later because it can be nasty getting in and out of there.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back