I’m stuck!

Was looking up the hill and got too close to the wash. It broke loose and sucked me in. Spent 9 hrs digging, jacking, and stacking rocks. Was finally able to reverse back out of it and repair and mark the trail. You won't find a single rock within 100yds of that spot now.View attachment 261652
I did the same thing, took me a while to smarten up and start stacking. Lol

I got one of those jack it up and block under it opportunities too. Got high centered. Put a bottle jack under the front end and jacked it up and put some 2xs under front tires and then put the jack under the rear end and lifted it as high as it would go and got outB1FEE4C9-A103-4CAD-85A4-A2ABF8181EDC.jpegEE7FD736-FC73-4069-9854-B10B69442ABD.jpeg

I while back a buddy and I were out calling coyotes in the little belts in early spring.
A week before I was in the same spot with my suburban.
He is driving his 1-ton dodge deasil with good tires.
We get to a spot that has a drift completely over the road and is 3/4 mile long, uphill. As I was telling him " this is where I turned around last week" I hear the turbos kick in. I look back out the windshield I see the front coming up and the truck got airborne.
When we landed we had to crawl out the windows the snow was up to the outside door handles, and we were in the air well over 10 feet, with no tracks in the snow.
The only shovel we had was a fold-up boy scout type, 2 feet long. NO cell service and 15 miles in.
We took turns shoveling, we would get snow out from underneath and the truck would settle deeper.
We then gathered rocks and dug down to the road and stacked them under each tire, THEN dug under the truck, that got the truck clear but then what?
He had a small come a long and we strung everything we had together and if we pulled really hard we reached the only tree near the road. I tightened everything up fiddle string tight, he held the brakes. when I gave the word he let up and stomped the go peddle the turbos again lit up the truck fell off the rocks and was sprung backward with enough force to get momentum. Snow flew in every direction and somehow he made it back to the gravel, easy peasy, and it only took 7 hours, it was dark before we got turned around, where I did last week. No pics.

Slid around some Thursday on the way to town in a fresh foot of snow over ice. Gravel road and there was two trucks left the night before in the ditch on the side. 3 foot drifts in places.
Got to town and slipped on ice under the snow outside the PO. Landed in an instant on my ass & elbows. LOL Would have been a good video. Still sore.

I was just making a simple turn around in an unimproved campground with the 5th wheel hooked up and the rear axle sunk to the frame. It doesn't look that bad from the pic, but I took the rear wheels off without even using a jack, and that's a boatload of weight on that axle and differential.

20190524_102221_1558738838991_001.jpg

I was screwed because it would've helped to disconnect the trailer but then I couldn't have gotten my trailer out of there and I was worried as soon as I backed in to hook up the trailer, I'd slide into the same soft spot and have to start over. I decided I'd try and get out with the trailer still attached.

I finally dug with a shovel until I hit drier ground, filled the hole with rocks and then cut a bunch of scrub oak and built a platform and then used the wheelers to help pull and was able to pop it out. It cost me a day of spring bear hunting though.

20190524_102308_1558738860317_001.jpg20190524_102336_1558738992188_001.jpg20190524_155052_1558738885307_001.jpg

BE58D923-9FFB-4FF5-8961-96AE18D88835.jpeg
Only time I can think of that I have pictures. The snow drifted in and was half way up the driver side door in my driveway. Started to back up and the truck slid sideways and pinned against the fence. Had to jack up the truck and put chains on to get it out of the driveway.

The only other time I have been stuck was driving through a “dried out” cattle pond. It sank fast when I hit the middle. Pretty quick retrieval though because we were off-roading and had multiple vehicles on site.

Not sure how those are the only two. I have spent a lot of time on some real nasty roads and usually don’t throw chains on until a mile or two after I should have. Here’s to hoping my luck holds! Also helps that the truck is loaded to get myself out. If I wasn’t prepared I would probably get stuck a lot but since I have all the stuff I don’t get to use it.

Don't have any pictures. We didn't do that when we were out wheeling back in the day. Worst one I can think of was when I was trying to get through a hole that was hanging up all who tried. I had a '76 Ford Hiboy with 44 inch Super Swampers and let her eat attacking the hole. Hit the end of the ruts and got airborne and ripped the left front wheel clean off of my truck. Guess even a Dana 60 front end can break! Winched my truck up behind another and drug it out to where it could get loaded on a flatbed.

View attachment 261734
Only time I can think of that I have pictures. The snow drifted in and was half way up the driver side door in my driveway. Started to back up and the truck slid sideways and pinned against the fence. Had to jack up the truck and put chains on to get it out of the driveway.

The only other time I have been stuck was driving through a “dried out” cattle pond. It sank fast when I hit the middle. Pretty quick retrieval though because we were off-roading and had multiple vehicles on site.

Not sure how those are the only two. I have spent a lot of time on some real nasty roads and usually don’t throw chains on until a mile or two after I should have. Here’s to hoping my luck holds! Also helps that the truck is loaded to get myself out. If I wasn’t prepared I would probably get stuck a lot but since I have all the stuff I don’t get to use it.
I ginxed myself… I took my 6yo daughter out on her first hunt yesterday for a private land doe tag and got the truck stuck so bad that I had to winch it almost 100 yards
900EE18C-8F5E-4F18-BBAF-6496B71DD32C.jpeg814E4FA7-127C-48BF-81EC-DE4F1ACE6016.jpeg

I don’t have pictures, but I can’t help but shake my head thinking back to this day.

I was 17 and heading out to go duck hunting by myself. As I was nearing where I normally parked off the side of the road, I crossed a bridge and saw ducks on the river. I was so excited I didn’t pay attention to how much snow had accumulated in my “parking spot” and drove my truck right into it, and buried the front axle. Tried to reverse and realized I was stuck.

So what did I do then? Did I work on getting unstuck? Of course not…there were ducks on the river! I snuck up and shot my first ever drake mallard that unfortunately fell in the river. Without a hunting dog, I went in with my waders. The duck floated underneath an ice overhang and I didn’t have anything to retrieve it so I started standing on one leg and sweeping my other leg underneath the ice. I was methodically working up the bank when all of the sudden I stepped in a huge hole and was in water up to my chin. Talk about a shock to the system when ice cold water starts filling up your waders! I’ve never moved so fast, but slow at the same time, to get back to solid footing and out of that river. I gave up on finding that drake and was really bummed about that.

So if you thought my judgement was questionable up to this point, here is where I really made a stupid decision. Instead of going back to the truck and digging myself out, I decided to go sit in my blind for a bit with wet clothes inside my waders! Not my finest moment as a teenager.

After sitting for a bit with no luck I decided to call it quits and got back to the truck close to dark. It took me much longer than I expected to dig myself out and I got home long after dark. This was before cell phones so my mom was freaking out to the point my dad was getting ready to come search for me.

Everything turned out okay, but I will never forget that “simple” afternoon duck hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back