Caribou Gear

I’m out of a job

dude that was sad as hell. Super impactful though. I’m sorry to hear about your buddy. I’ll bet that song makes you as emotional as it just did me… i appreciate all you guys. Seriously. The kind words and never-give-up attitudes means a lot. I have the heart of lion, and i could never just lay down in defeat. I know I’ll find something and it’ll be okay. I probably will look back and smile.. I hope! That song does remind a person though, that there is so much going on in the world and in everyone’s life; smiling, laughing, loving, living comes relatively easy… at least we should let it… thanks Doug, and every one of you!

When I worked construction I worked multiple companies. In central California residential, if your outfit was slow, no one cared if you temped for someone else.
We owned the company and I still temped out between jobs. We were tile setters, but I got the chance to learn every possible trade as a teenager. Sometimes I would mix mud and float out a shower in the morning and be topping out the plumbing on a house in the afternoon. As my skills increased, I would get calls to run a crew pretty often.

It was a quirk that started me down the IT path and a gig with Big Blue.

I'm not pounding my own chest. I'm saying a man with skills and a good work ethic is hard to find. There is something waiting for you. Start hitting some jobsites and trailers

Last edited:
Was laid off twice when I exited the military. First one was my fault entirely as I called this "younger then me" hot shot kid a F#%Kin worthless wet fart (and ALOT of other names) when he made a snotty comment to me about having to join the military to go to college. I went off of him like I would a boot A$$ marine. 🤷‍♂️

Probably should of just laughed and let that one go.

Second one was a company wide layoff. All worked out for the best tho, i've been happy with my job for a long time now.

Sucks to get laid off but in the construction industry these days with 9 years experience you should be able to bump up the career ladder a bit and get a spot with less swinging a hammer, the sooner you can step into running work instead of doing work the better for your body long term...

If you understand the business side of things this may be an opportunity to go from relying on someone else to taking on the responsibility of being a business owner.

It's not for everyone but you are in control of you future.

You sound like you have the skills, and know people who might be willing to work for you.

Sucks to get laid off but in the construction industry these days with 9 years experience you should be able to bump up the career ladder a bit and get a spot with less swinging a hammer, the sooner you can step into running work instead of doing work the better for your body long term...
Not everyone want's to move up I have found. Lots of people get comfortable and just don't really climb the ladder. But you are correct, being 50+ working construction is hard on the body. Much better to run the crew, or even better move into estimating or project management if you can do math.

Unemployment is at a record low, you should have no issues finding work. If you can, maybe work for more than 1 company and not put all your eggs in 1 basket.

I am a registered business. Sole proprietor. Independent contractor exemption certificate. I was always kinda second in command. Now I feel like the guys are looking to me for the answers, as they always have when the boss wasn’t around. I’ve found a couple jobs that might be profitable, if my guys are willing to stick together. I’ve found a couple that would love to take just me. I know I just need to put my nuts on the table… I just think it’s crazy you know?? That you can be so loyal, and stick through so many different trials by fire; and still, Everyone has gotta look out for #1… yourself….

My first construction job I ever had was with a family business, stocking drywall. Within 2 months I got a dollar raise- and BOY I thought that was just spectacular. 5 months later— the company is going out of business… We got 2 full weeks notice- and after the 2 weeks came and went, we got a check for another 2 weeks pay. Severance! After spending all this time, nearly 1/3 of my existence on Mother Earth, and to only get 4 days notice. I’m disappointed man…

Is it because that other job gave me such a comfort to fall back on while I searched—that I expect that now? Is it because I always gave my two weeks before quitting? Is it because I’ve gotten FIGHTING MAD that I don’t wanna part from my guys, we’ve got a good thing and we’re all in this together?? Maybe a little of everything.. it just seems unacceptable when they all know rents gone up 3 times in the last year… like I said post #1, we are told the grass isn’t always greener, don’t be gluttonous. It can be difficult to decide when the “gettin’ “ is as good as it’s gonna get, time to think about taking those offers.

dude that was sad as hell. Super impactful though. I’m sorry to hear about your buddy. I’ll bet that song makes you as emotional as it just did me… i appreciate all you guys. Seriously. The kind words and never-give-up attitudes means a lot. I have the heart of lion, and i could never just lay down in defeat. I know I’ll find something and it’ll be okay. I probably will look back and smile.. I hope! That song does remind a person though, that there is so much going on in the world and in everyone’s life; smiling, laughing, loving, living comes relatively easy… at least we should let it… thanks Doug, and every one of you!
Good for you. What comes next will be better than what just ended. Get your head around the opportunity, move past the loss. It sucks when change is forced on us. You have accumulated judgment, skills and experience that your last job didn't accommodate or appreciate. Your next one will show you, your bosses and crew how far you have come. This is a graduation, @FoodIsMemories.

I am a registered business. Sole proprietor. Independent contractor exemption certificate. I was always kinda second in command. Now I feel like the guys are looking to me for the answers, as they always have when the boss wasn’t around. I’ve found a couple jobs that might be profitable, if my guys are willing to stick together. I’ve found a couple that would love to take just me. I know I just need to put my nuts on the table… I just think it’s crazy you know?? That you can be so loyal, and stick through so many different trials by fire; and still, Everyone has gotta look out for #1… yourself….

My first construction job I ever had was with a family business, stocking drywall. Within 2 months I got a dollar raise- and BOY I thought that was just spectacular. 5 months later— the company is going out of business… We got 2 full weeks notice- and after the 2 weeks came and went, we got a check for another 2 weeks pay. Severance! After spending all this time, nearly 1/3 of my existence on Mother Earth, and to only get 4 days notice. I’m disappointed man…

Is it because that other job gave me such a comfort to fall back on while I searched—that I expect that now? Is it because I always gave my two weeks before quitting? Is it because I’ve gotten FIGHTING MAD that I don’t wanna part from my guys, we’ve got a good thing and we’re all in this together?? Maybe a little of everything.. it just seems unacceptable when they all know rents gone up 3 times in the last year… like I said post #1, we are told the grass isn’t always greener, don’t be gluttonous. It can be difficult to decide when the “gettin’ “ is as good as it’s gonna get, time to think about taking those offers.
If you are interested in commercial or super expensive custom homes, I can get you an interview in Bozeman or Big Sky. Best of luck! Something good will come from this!

Sorry to hear it. The housing market was becoming a bubble that was bound to burst some time. It will be back though once prices settle down and the interest rates level out. Do you have any backup plans for work?

Loyalty isn’t making sure you provide work for the other guys. Loyalty is giving them first opportunity if you can find work that requires more labor than you can provide on your own.
The fact that you’re already an independent contractor is a big bonus for you.

When I owned my own business, a couple other independents and myself had a working relationship where each of us were taking on jobs, coordinating our schedules and working for each other at various times. The guy who landed the job set the price for the customer and we worked for each other at an agreed on hourly rate.
That let all of us accomplish more than we could on our own, but no one was responsible for keeping enough work in front of the others.

There’s going to be some contractions in the labor market this year. My best advice is to be the guy who makes sure that any job you start is finished to completion and at the highest possible quality you can provide before moving on, regardless of how much work is waiting for you.
It’s been the Wild West here for the past few years and getting subs to finish to 100% instead of wanting more money and moving on at 90% completion has been tough. Generals and customers needed subs more than subs needed them and we kind of had to take whatever we got.
As work slows for all of us, I definitely remember the guys who took care of us when times were busy. They are going to be first in line to receive a call when I need someone. The guys who wanted to cut corners and run to the next job aren’t going to get that call.

There’s still plenty of work to be done around here. A guy might have to diversify a bit to include siding or roofing, but I guarantee if you can find a general contractor in need of someone to problem solve and are that guy who helps him solve problems and finish jobs you’ll have plenty of work.

If you are interested in commercial or super expensive custom homes, I can get you an interview in Bozeman or Big Sky. Best of luck! Something good will come from this!

@FoodIsMemories, if you have the patience and skill set to focus on quality over quantity and can figure out solutions that a blueprint doesn’t always provide this is the route I would recommend.

Loyalty isn’t making sure you provide work for the other guys. Loyalty is giving them first opportunity if you can find work that requires more labor than you can provide on your own.
The fact that you’re already an independent contractor is a big bonus for you.

When I owned my own business, a couple other independents and myself had a working relationship where each of us were taking on jobs, coordinating our schedules and working for each other at various times. The guy who landed the job set the price for the customer and we worked for each other at an agreed on hourly rate.
That let all of us accomplish more than we could on our own, but no one was responsible for keeping enough work in front of the others.

There’s going to be some contractions in the labor market this year. My best advice is to be the guy who makes sure that any job you start is finished to completion and at the highest possible quality you can provide before moving on, regardless of how much work is waiting for you.
It’s been the Wild West here for the past few years and getting subs to finish to 100% instead of wanting more money and moving on at 90% completion has been tough. Generals and customers needed subs more than subs needed them and we kind of had to take whatever we got.
As work slows for all of us, I definitely remember the guys who took care of us when times were busy. They are going to be first in line to receive a call when I need someone. The guys who wanted to cut corners and run to the next job aren’t going to get that call.

There’s still plenty of work to be done around here. A guy might have to diversify a bit to include siding or roofing, but I guarantee if you can find a general contractor in need of someone to problem solve and are that guy who helps him solve problems and finish jobs you’ll have plenty of work.
Gerald are you only on the residential side? I only ask because I'm not sure if housing is slowing much here but commercial is still rolling full steam ahead. It's interesting how locations vary..

Gerald are you only on the residential side? I only ask because I'm not sure if housing is slowing much here but commercial is still rolling full steam ahead. It's interesting how locations vary..

Yes. Residential. Plenty of folks planning to build but they seem to be holding off and waiting for now.
My uneducated guess is that if interest rates come down a bit and material prices don’t increase there’s going to be an uptick again this summer.

I think the higher volume builders are seeing slower sales and dropping prices so they are holding off on spec homes for a while.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back