I'm not buying points for Colorado anymore, tell me I'm wrong.

I don't play the point game. I'll probably ruffle lots of feathers here, but I would be happy to see all "points" done away with, and simply have random draws. Some units could be Once in a Life time or perhaps not allow hunters who are successful in drawing a particular trophy unit to draw for a period of years. Some states give folks who are unsuccessful in a draw, an extra chance the following year.

In 2006 there were 2440 people with 7pts for elk
In 2020 those people who kept playing the game now have 22 points, there are 366 of them.

In 2006 EE002E1R took 16 pts, in 2020 it took 24 points.

There are still 748 people in front of them.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the sentiment expressed in this thread overall, it's a tough situation to be in at this point. I think it's worth building points to hunt specific units and to be able to push past point creep in years like this one. It really depends on your attitude towards point-building in general though. For me, I would have no reservations about using 5 points to draw a unit that generally takes 1-3 if I wanted to do that hunt. A lot of people would consider those points wasted, and that's a fair view but I view it as assurance that I can hunt the unit I want when it fits my schedule. I do agree that the points system is not ideal and would like to see them all dismantled, but it's what we are working with for now. Because it's a system that isn't ideal, and we are 10-30 years behind a significant amount of people - I will never hold out for the primo units everyone talks about, especially as a nonresident. I will never even consider waiting for 2, 61, or any other unit that takes 15+ points at this time. Personally I think if you already hunt OTC elk, there's almost no downside to building a couple of points as long as you are willing to actually use them. As long as Colorado allows you to kill a bull elk OTC and get a point that year, it's hard for me to argue against it. I imagine that will change someday, but just like the point system - this is the structure we have to deal with for now. I would never say somebody is wrong for getting out of the game because there are very legitimate reasons to do so. I can't ever see myself having more than 5-6 deer points and 3 elk points before I burn them, and likely I will burn them sooner - but if I can't make it out to CO for a few years I won't feel bad about having 2-3 more points.

If I have 5 points and put in for a unit that only takes 3 points to draw do I lose all 5 of my points or just 3?

I've never or would I ever buy a point. I hunt every year.

Keep buying them. The DOW loves you.
I'm a CO resident and hunt every year but still build points. I don't know that I would build points as a non-resident though. As a resident I can draw a quality (opportunity not trophy) hunt every year as a second choice while building points for a quality (trophy) hunt in 6-8 years. I haven't checked the odds as a non-resident so I don't know if this strategy would work or not for non-residents.

Exactly! Why pay for points when we can get them for free.

It's easier for me because I don't give a lick for trophy's. Antlers are always left on the ground.

I’d have to agree. Can’t chase after the legendary units anymore due to point creep. Overcrowded state for hunting. N if you really want to hunt it, you can do OTC

I have 9 deer and 5 elk points for Co. Deer is my primary focus for Colorado. I am debating on buying points this year. Wont be hunting Colorado due to hunting another state. I know I don't need any more for elk but if I buy a deer point then might as well get one for elk.

I would say if u plan on doing any OTC in CO any time in the next three years then you’re going to have to have a license. If you get a license in your hand might as well have a point in your pocket. But if you’re plan is only CO draw units I’d say burn them and never get above three.

Colorado aside, with the way the western states are cutting tags and changing the rules, I would be burning my point and VERY careful on how much money I invested in my points before burning them....regardless of the state.

Corrado is a horrible state and nobody should spend money there. I quit applying there in 2019 i worked there and their people and policies suck. Plus I got screwed when I lost my job and went to collect unemployment so I haven't spent any money in that state in 2 years. When I draw a tag in New Mexico I will Gass up in Cheyennr and not stop again until I am in New Mexico.

Corrado is a horrible state and nobody should spend money there. I quit applying there in 2019 i worked there and their people and policies suck. Plus I got screwed when I lost my job and went to collect unemployment so I haven't spent any money in that state in 2 years. When I draw a tag in New Mexico I will Gass up in Cheyennr and not stop again until I am in New Mexico.
Mic drop.

Here's a reply I got to a raffle email in January: "Colorado KISS My ASS until you turn your state Red!!!!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back