I'm not buying points for Colorado anymore, tell me I'm wrong.

CO points take 10 years to expire so you can sit on them quite a while before you lose them. Unlike WY, where you lose them if you don't apply/buy points every other year.

You're in no mans land. You can sit on them a while as long as you pay attention to point creep in the meantime.
CO points don’t expire. I have points and haven’t bought any since 2006

All your doing is helping my points, I appreciate it. Thank you
Edited my comment I had not considered that a NR would spend 18 points on a unit that a resident could draw for 4... or that they could hunt for 3 points a couple weeks later for that matter :confused:

My point is that they won't show up in the draw recap, because they are not submitting an application. Their points are still in the system but are not included in the recap unless they apply. So you should be able to see attrition in the recap.
1616535392140.png

Calculation of "Dead" applicants between 2018 and 2020, in the point group of >/= 16.

Could also be people that through up their hands... now you'd have to do a year by year analysis to see if someone stopped buying points but then jumped back in... for instance some of these folks have 6+ points over the top unit, the may just not apply for 3 years then jump in a get a tag.

1616535471367.png

Reactions: Oak
I used to keep a similar spreadsheet for sheep points in CO, with my point level highlighted. Attrition was always much higher than the number of people who drew. Obviously the "applicants ahead" meant nothing, but it made me feel better. I drew in 2016.
*Attrition noted was from the pool of applicants ahead of me.

Sheep points.jpg

What's insane is these folks, haven't applied for a tag, even though they have max points for 7 years.

1616535713627.png

So none of these 6 people have applied for a hunt in 6 years.
1616536024866.png
1616536115212.png

1616535974055.png

---- This person must have been sitting out and then jumped back in when to keep ahead of the creep-----
1616536308775.png
1616536394819.png

I tell myself every September next year I’m burning all of my points and I’m done buying points in Colorado. Just like a drug I keep going back for more.

It’s wrong. I have 4 points. 02,03,04 and 05
That is cut and paste from page 9 of the 2021 big game regulations. It is not wrong.

If you have applied for or held a license for that species at least once every 10 years then you will still have your points from 2005.

Last edited:
That is cut and paste from page 9 of the 2021 big game regulations. It is not wrong.

If you have applied for or held a license for that species at least once every 10 years then you will still have your points from 2005.
I’m not trying to start a pissing match. I have 4 points, and I know 2005 is more than 10 years ago. I had contacted CO game and fish about it last summer when I was trying to buy a point and they informed me they don’t expire. I haven’t spent a dime on cO stuff since 05

I’m not trying to start a pissing match. I have 4 points, and I know 2005 is more than 10 years ago. I had contacted CO game and fish about it last summer when I was trying to buy a point and they informed me they don’t expire. I haven’t spent a dime on cO stuff since 05
Love to talk to your guy and get my wife's points back... wanna shoot me that email or number ;)
1616542346365.png

1616542354349.png

I might be able to solve this for the three of ya. The rule changed to 10 years a few years ago. I suspect they might have started recounting the 10 years from that point. In which case C79's points will expire 10 years from the time they changed the rule.

I might be able to solve this for the three of ya. The rule changed to 10 years a few years ago. I suspect they might have started recounting the 10 years from that point. In which case C79's points will expire 10 years from the time they changed the rule.
Guess we’ll just have to meet back on this thread in like 8 years and see

Reactions: Oak
If CO NR DIY quotas are cut like MT, ID, & WY are considering now, you’re going to feel like an idiot not buying points this year and thinking you were safe for next year.

Whether or not to burn points depends on your goals. Personally, my goal is to burn any points before they get to 4, as I have no desire to chase point creep for even mid tier units in light of the current trends. I just apply in WY now, but I’m always eyeing CO as a 2nd state to add if I had the budget for it (I don’t). I’m content aiming for tags that are a hair above a basic opportunity hunt and there are still plenty to be had in the 1-3 PP range in CO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back