I'm not buying points for Colorado anymore, tell me I'm wrong.

I'm glad we don't have the point system in NM. I find it extremely depressing to think you're climbing the point ladder for years and then use it up in one year and start back at the bottom. I like the NM system where you have the same odds every year. It's true that you might never draw that quality unit, but every year is extremely exciting knowing you have as good a chance as other residents. NM has a good system for getting tags for private land if you were not successful in the draw and if you don't mind spending some dough.

Question: if someone dies and obviously is no longer applying, their points won't show up in the draws stats, correct? Someone with way more time on their hands than me could take the draw statistics and calculate annual attrition beyond those who are successful in the draw.
Got a question? How does Fish and Wildlife know if someone passes away if pts are not dropped until 10 yrs later? Maybe there are not as many people ahead of you as you thought.

Got a question? How does Fish and Wildlife know if someone passes away if pts are not dropped until 10 yrs later? Maybe there are not as many people ahead of you as you thought.
They don't. His point is that the draw summary ONLY includes those who have applied, so you can kinda calculate the attrition rate from that.

Get's wonky with people who buy points/apply erratically.

They don't. His point is that the draw summary ONLY includes those who have applied, so you can kinda calculate the attrition rate from that.

Get's wonky with people who buy points/apply erratically.

Great point.

I have 24 elk, 24 lope, 17 sheep & 14 deer pts. in Colorado and it seems every year the same thing happens. I am afraid to seriously try to burn them because I got 2 or 3 apps in NM & WY that have ~50% draw odds. Along with some other family scheduling reason, this year being the virus hijacking my flexible hours job, and my step-daughter's wedding in China. That has insane travel restriction uncertainty. Something I didn't anticipate when I got in the game so many years ago. I want to burn these points before NR quota gets reduced, yet am hamstringed into PP's every year. I can apply, but risk not being able to hunt. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
Maybe a whole bunch of the large point holders are already dead :unsure:

Certainly, but every one on the draw odds was alive as they applied in the draw. The list just shows who applied, it doesn't show Joe with 38 points that sat out this year.

Best analogy I’ve come up with is a downward-moving escalator.
Yes you go up one step (point) each year, but it’s not worth as much as the floor shifted down between zero and two steps while you went up one.
That said, CO has a ton of great options in that 1-3 range for deer and elk...and even zero. It is a productive landscape. I’d say it’s worth it for those two species as long as you burn through them quick. It’s silly to hold out beyond 5
Post 2021, that calculus might change as CPW wants to basically kill off the older age class of deer.
Each year, the calculus seems to get a tad worse, although that is true in all states.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back