Yeti GOBOX Collection

I'm A Sucker for A Pretty Face

Muley_Stalker

We have a ton of does in town just hanging out. I was just outside sitting under a tree on the grass eating an apple. A doe walks by and stops to look at me. I keep eating the apple, but remain motionless otherwise. She started to walk up to me, and I could see she was eyeing my apple.

She stops just 2 ft from me, and her eyes were going back and forth between me and the apple. I reach out with my hand, and she licks it. Oh man, i'm a sucker for first class begging. Even though I tell people all over town to not feed the deer. I gave into this one, and gave her the rest of the apple.

Then she did something I wouldn't have dreamed of. After finishing the apple. She laid down next to me. Cripes! She was like a dog. I reach over, and she let me pet her. People were walking by thinking WTF? I just snickered.

I'm sure glad I don't shoot does. I'd never be able to after this girl. What a sweetheart she was.

Yes, it was, but that's what happens when so many in town make pets out of these deer. It's fine as long as they stay in town. However, the ones that go back in the mountains are easy prey for hunters. They've lost their fear of humans.

These particular deer has an ear tag with 420 on it. She's a well known deer in town, and has spent her whole life here. She's pretty old now. It's the first time i've been close enough to read her ear tag. I then remembered a lot of people talking about 420. That's her name now.

Good thing the bucks aren't like this. I only see them during the rut, and they run and hide when they see you.

And? There is no problem if they are allowed to live in town and then return to the "wild". She just stands longer for the shot. I have seen lots of deer inside the city limits in Cody, Wyoming and most look like they are in marginal shape because of poor forage in town yards. At least there, you can put them in the freezer legally with a bow!

There's a law against feeding wildlife here. Which is why I hesitated about giving her the apple.

I guess you like easy hunting?

Neat experience! I would have enjoyed the interaction. No way I could shoot 420 even if she was in a legal area. However, I have no problems with tagging a non-habituated doe whenever I can get a tag.
Context is everything.

Haha.. I have seen deer eating from peoples' hands in Yosemite N.P.

I guess they used to do that here in Indiana, in some of the state parks, before they began reduction hunts in the parks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back