Illinois 1st season firearm

MikeW217

Just curious how the Illinois firearm opener went for other Illinois hunttalk members? I did not get a big buck, but I got a big doe which fills the freezer just as good. A little bonus was seeing a bobcat at 15 yards.

Saw a bunch of doe, no bucks and very few shots heard.

Did anyone else have EHD go through the herd this year?
I did not hear about it going through the area I hunted this year, but our group agreed the deer sightings and shots heard were down. I was the only one to harvest out of 3 guys and we usually all take at least one home.

I passed on a 120 inch buck twice. Saw a 140ish buck walking the property line about 150 yards away. Was really slow all weekend. The first week in November I was covered in nice bucks seeing at least one shooter every sit. Must be locked down with does.

I did not hear about it going through the area I hunted this year, but our group agreed the deer sightings and shots heard were down. I was the only one to harvest out of 3 guys and we usually all take at least one home.

I talked to the game warden and biologist. Both said they had some cases in Illinois. I found a 140" 8pt on my first trip out this year. I also had a larger buck on camera that disappeared around Aug/Sept. Found a dead doe as well. A friend who hunts about 20 miles from me found six including a large 10pt.

My season has been piss poor since the beginning.

Saw a bunch of doe, no bucks and very few shots heard.

Only saw 1 Friday, shot it at 12:30. Heard maybe 4 other people shoot during that time period. Saturday only saw 1 as well, but it was about 6:40. Shot it too. Plenty early, and I don't recall if I heard any shots before I got out headed for home.

Idnr released the total kill for the first gun season. 50,173 killed, down from 58,936 killed last year. Not surprised based on my experience and talking to buddies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back