Caribou Gear Tarp

Illegal hunting on College Campus

Gellar

If I said that the thought never crossed my mind while I was in college, I would be lying! Where I went to college, Western Illinois University, I would not have needed bait though. We did do a lot of shed hunting on campus and we were always very successful.

When I was say, 10-15 years old, I hunted cottontails and ground squirrels with my bow on the University of Idaho campus. Part of the sport was keeping a step ahead of the campus police. There were no deer to tempt us. Thankfully.
The theme songs from Cops rolls through my head when I read this! Bad boys, bad boys what you gonna do when the cops come for you!

Gellar! I know the answer. We hid in the bushes. And they were just campus cops, which seemed not like real cops to us. Mostly they didn't seem to care if no one complained.

I mean it's a "PUBLIC" Education fer chrissake!

Word has it when St. Peter finds out you are a Idaho Vandal his only question for you is "did you get your elk?"

If I said that the thought never crossed my mind while I was in college, I would be lying! Where I went to college, Western Illinois University, I would not have needed bait though. We did do a lot of shed hunting on campus and we were always very successful.

This is like news? I have yet to see a university where university property DOESN'T get hunted, often with the tacit knowledge of certain university bureaucrats (but not always).

I once had the job of running mushroom hunters and coon hunters off the property at UK. The former were MUCH worse than the latter. They didn't pay me enough for that crap so I just dialed the sheriff.

Trespass hunting happens everywhere. Universities don't get a pass, and they often have very interesting land.

I once hunted up a Christmas tree for my dorm on campus, at Western Washington University.

Let me clarify... this was not a native tree, it was an ornamental actually shaped overtime to look like a perfect xmas tree. I/We (I honestly can't remember, who was with me or how much we drank) cut it around 230 am, ran across campus, up the elevator then into my room. But our rooms were tiny, so we had to cut all the limbs off two sides then ducktape it to the bed post. The only water container I had was a pot I used to warm water for small meals, it was dirty... but at this point the tree wasn't going to mind a little top roman in it's drinking water. After new years we just pitched it out the window, figured that there was 8 stories, good luck sorting out which of the 8 did it.

Last edited:
I never tried hunting on the University of Idaho campus but a friend and I did make several unsuccessful attempts to get a hang glider off the ground in the arboretum.

I once assisted in stealing a small pig at Ohio State. We dyed it purple, kept it around for about a week and it was returned.

Too urban for much hunting.

Theres some prolific poachers that frequent the universities in my area here in PA.

Had a fellow serviceman and his father hunting Axis Deer with rifles on
the Coast Guard Base in Pt. Reyes Cal...Never saw him again. 🔥

I once hunted up a christmas tree for my dorm on campus, at Western Washington University.
I had to stay over during thanksgiving break and we cut a large Christmas tree down and put it in the dorm room across the hall. They both got back to school late the night before classes started again and did not think a Griswold family Christmas tree in their room was funny!

I once assisted in stealing a small pig at Ohio State. We dyed it purple, kept it around for about a week and it was returned.

Too urban for much hunting.
Look around dairy barns. It is way more built up than back in the day. I once saw a huge buck next to 70 downtown between town and main. Now that is urban.

When I was say, 10-15 years old, I hunted cottontails and ground squirrels with my bow on the University of Idaho campus. Part of the sport was keeping a step ahead of the campus police. There were no deer to tempt us. Thankfully.
I’m always surprised we don’t have any town deer here in Moscow. Only ungulates I see in town are the occasional nuisance moose

I’m always surprised we don’t have any town deer here in Moscow. Only ungulates I see in town are the occasional nuisance moose
Whitetails must be close! We used to see them occasionally south of campus, with all those trees they planted in the arboretum I would think they would be over that like stink. Of course that was a long time ago...

Whitetails must be close! We used to see them occasionally south of campus, with all those trees they planted in the arboretum I would think they would be over that like stink. Of course that was a long time ago...

Yeah they aren’t far away. I spent the morning hunting and seeing nothing and then took the dog for a walk this afternoon and watched a buck chasing the heck out of a doe 10 minutes away from my house.

Our campus was too small to hunt on so most of our extracurricular activities too place off campus. Luckily, it was right on the Ohio River so we had plenty of good fishing nearby. Plenty of times our professors literally stuck their noses up at us when we'd come back in from fishing in between classes. Catfish stinkbait, fish slime and scales and wearing wading boots to class will do that to ya. We weren't all that popular with girls on campus when this fishing was good either :LOL:

My college campus was on the Mississippi river and had pretty good fishing for smallmouth, channel catfish and the occasional walleye. I was kicked out of a fishing spot by a public safety officer (student in a uniform). Almost got myself into some actual trouble by arguing with them. Told him he was wasting my tuition & fees $ and should be doing something useful like busting the "public safety officers" that get away with underage drinking.

I never went hunting on campus, but I did wage a war against cockroaches in the LSU graduate housing. I lost.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back