IL Boys Headed West - Advice Appreciated

BigZ

A friend and I (both hunt avidly in IL) are heading to Colorado this fall for an OTC archery elk hunt. The first thing I learned is how much information is available online regarding hunter success rates, public ground locations, and basic elk information. This forum has been a huge help as well, but there's one thing that's always in the back of my mind - how can we make this trip a reality with out my wife killing me beforehand.

We think we have a unit in mind, based off on some helpful guys here at home that have shared some valuable information with us regarding specific locations and elk habits. The big issue I see is that the average elevation is 12,000' and that's a environment neither of us is used to being in and we don't have the equipment to camp on the mountain. Neither of us have a good tent ($$$), have packed-in a camp before, or have been to this location before...but there's elk there, supposedly. We're trying to keep our hunt on a budget, but the more we plan out this hunt, the more things we seem to need to buy.

My question boils down to this - for two first time elk hunters who are just looking to shoot the first legal elk in range, just enjoy time out hunting, and have 9 days to do so, would you recommend 1. Hike the extra 2 miles (one way) each morning and try and truck camp it for the week and limit the amount of extra gear needed or 3. Find an area that is a little less extreme and focus on a different area that fits our budget and level of "expertise" a little better.

Thanks, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Hey BigZ,

If you've never spent time camping in the back-country and don't have the appropriate gear, I would suggest setting a base/truck camp. From there, you can do one-to-three night spike camps into the mountain, then come back out (depending upon where the elk are, weather, etc.) to recoup, replenish stocks, warm up, etc. For these short duration spike camps just use a tarp, some para-cord, and trek poles/sticks for your shelter. I'm not a super experienced elk hunter (I too am a mid-westerner, but from MI) but have a ton of experience back-country camping/hunting. Shoot me a personal message if you want to chat more. I'm actually planning a OTC archery elk hunt to CO this September as well with another buddy (or two).

-Brian

Last edited:
I hunted sheep in the San Juans (SW Colorado) along the continental divide. This hunt started over labor day. Met some archers at 9000 ft who weren't having much luck. I found out later that the elk were above timberline in the sheep or should I say elk pastures above 11,000+ to 12500 or more. Be prepared to get high in early September. Be prepared for afternoon T-storms and be prepared to get out if they come your way. Good rain gear and boots are necessary. Guys on the BBS will give you good advice on tents and gear. Start running up and down stadium steps a lot. If you decide to go high, bring lots of Rolaids and eat them like candy. Altitude sickness causes the pH of your blood to become more acid. Rolaids actually will raise the pH and help. The respiratory therapist at the Air Force Academy discovered this during high altitude training for flat land army and naval academy students during summer training sessions. These guys and gals were in good shape too. Don't want to scare you, just be aware. FWIW. GJ

Last edited:
One thing you could do is rent some of the equipment you would need, like a good tent. I'm not sure that they still do it but REI used to rent packs, tents, sleeping bags, etc... not sure where their stores are in relation to you but I could only guess Colorado must have some stores that would rent some of it.

Just because "there was elk there" doesnt mean much. It's a starting point but you shouldnt feel pinned to an area based on what someone saw years prior. They get pressured and move...miles. Also from Illinois the learning curve on these animals is rather steep. At least for me. I went archery moose hunting once and was succesful. Took 4 years to get my first elk with a bow. Learning the wind is huge. Ive had everything "perfect" then the wind shifts when the bull is withing 100 yards and he loops around to catch the wind.

Id find a less extreme area. Probably a reason success rates are high in that unit and that's because fewer go there. Its a catch 22. But not having the proper gear would steer me towards a more moderate unit. You don't want to get there and have hunts ruined by altitude sickness. I'd stick to the 7500-9500 foot range. The occasional 10,500 wouldnt be an issue. But to jump from 700 ft at home to 12,000 without knowing your reaction could be pushing it.

Build up your arsenal. Learn what suits your style of hunting. Learn the animals and go from there. I guarantee this wont be a one and done thing. Unless you know...the wife..

I came from Wisconsin this past fall to unit 45 which is plenty high. I had taken diamox as prescribed before hand and did fine with the altitude. Tylenol pm was the ticket for a good nights sleep. You don't need super high end equipment to backpack. It's all reasonable if you can handle a little more weight. The bargain cave at cabelas is a good place to find stuff and rei always has a sale. The harder it is the more you will know for next time. Spend lots of time at the gym and go camping before hand and you'll have a pretty good start.

You don't have to spend a fortune to do a back country hunt. I used to do it with an old surplus ALICE pack, mil. surplus sleeping bag and a K-Mart tent. You trade comfort for money.

Edit to add: Another Illinois guy here.

Last edited:
I would hike the 2 miles each day and camp at the truck. Probably fits your experience and equipment better and keeps you mobile in case the elk aren't there. Forget what you know about whitetail hunting because most of it is not applicable. If you don't see fresh sign or elk move to a different area. Pick numerous "spots" ahead of time on the map to hunt each day and have a good reason for being there. Keep cycling through them until you hit pay dirt.

Thanks everyone for all of the great feedback, this is helping out a lot. It sounds like whether or not we plan on going to this specific spot, we'll want to have plans B through Z lined up way a head of time. And thanks grandejuan and standard_lengthy for the advice ok altitude sickness, I can see that coming in handy big time.

The thing about altitude is that you won't know how it affects you until you're there. But, I feel pretty safe saying that if you arrive from Illinois and try to hike around at 12,000 feet, right away, you're going to be hurting. I would try to spend a couple of days in CO before the hunt, if you can, to work up to the alititude; maybe spend a night around 6000 feet, then go to 8000 the next night, etc. Don't push yourself, but be active on those days. Hike around a bit at altitudes a little higher than you're sleeping. It sounds like you're not prepared to camp in the backcountry and frankly, you'll probably be happy to sleep as low as possible anyway. For me, it takes a day or two to get comfortable hiking at altitude and then I'm (slow), but fine. My problem is sleep. I don't sleep well up high and there's only so long you can hunt without sleep, before you implode. I'd second the advice of bringing tylenol pm/benodryl. I guess my overall advice is, don't freak out about altitude, just accept that it's very real and take some time to prepare yourself. Maybe even have a backup plan for where you can hunt, in your unit, that isn't super high...

Whatever you decide I will say this:

Start wearing your pack and hiking with it. Start adding weight as time goes on. By Sept you should be able to walk 5+ miles with 60 pounds or so and not have an issue. When you wear a pack with weight in it your body uses different muscles altogether to keep balanced.

I lived in NM in 2014-2015 in Rio Rancho ( altitude 5500). I hunted in unit 45 ( northeast of Sante Fe). I was 41 at the time and while I still have the same size waist as in College, I was not in the best of shape. I refuse to run as it is boring to me. All I did to train was walk... and walk.. all with my pack on. i bought a second pair of boots identical to my hunting ones and used those for the asphalt. I found hills to climb, I went up and down, sidehilled, etc... By the time my hunt started on Oct 10, my legs and back were pretty good. Then I left the trailhead at 9000+ feet and walked 5.5 miles into the Pecos Wilderness, with an 80 pound pack ( including a muzzleloader). Yes I overpacked a bit and man was I happy to drop that pack at camp. Two days later I dropped a bull 2.5 miles deeper into the wilderness and packed it out the next day and a half. My gps told us we had hiked 39.8 miles in three and half days. I did have a partner up there with me, a very experienced wilderness hunter, 8 years younger than me and thin as a fence post. When we got back to the truck with all the meat and rack I point blank asked him how I did. He replied that " he had hunted with numerous guys ALOT younger than me and I could whip 95% of them when it came to hauling weight"

He knew my training regimen and commented on how most guys come out west without "training" their body to haul a pack full of gear or meat.

Another thing is take a day to acclimate to the altitude. Give yourself a day before you head up. Altitude sickness sucks. I had it back in the 90's when I was 26 years old and went elk hunting from Ohio. I chewed advil like candy because my head hurt so bad. After a couple days it subsided.

I wish you luck man. Once you leave the midwest and head out west you will never look at whitetail hunting the same way again.

A lot of good advice, I would add:

- Water, Water, Water. Drink more water than you think is humanly possible. Most folks that have a hard time with the altitude are more dehydrated than anything.

- Once you're in the 11,000'+ range, it's just difficult on the human body. Even when you live over 5000. Gradual ascent (as Dougfirtree mentioned) is the key, which is a bonus of driving versus flying, but sleeping at gradually ascending altitude is very helpful for acclimatization. If you can spend your first night @ 5000-6000 and then set camp @ 8000-ish, you'll be in much better shape than if you immediately set camp without spending a day down in the Front Range area.

- If you're generally concerned about your ability to spike in the backcountry, then don't. I think by asking that upfront, you've already answered your own question. And you're ahead of a lot of folks that just assume they can pack camp in to the elk and be fine having never done it before. You'll spend more time fussing with that part of the trip, and opening yourself to more physical and psychological discomfort which will take away from your hunting time. A truck-based base camp gives you a lot more room for error on the 'living' side. And more mobility. Treat the first trip as a scouting mission.

Not sure of your route, but there are places in Denver where you can rent a wall tent + stove for ~$200-300/week all in. Put aside a $20 bill a month apiece between now and the hunt and you've got a very comfortable camp.

I agree about truck camping vs backpacking on your first trip. Just be sure to get out of bed early and expect to get back to camp late.

Personally, I'd find a lower elevation area to hunt. The combination of being new to elk hunting, climbing mountains and doing it at high elevation will lower your chance of success.

All of these guys have given some great advice. Having a base camp isn't a bad idea. I did my first western hunt this year and did several different 2 or 3 day backpack hunting trips during archery season. I just carried my camp on my back 24/7. Had a blast and there is definitely enough information on this site that you should be able to figure out everything you need. Those trips were the most fun I have ever had. Nothing like being in the mountains with the leaves starting to change chasing elk.

I would carry Rolaids and as I said eat them like candy, have one in your mouth all the time. Headaches at night and sleeplessness are classic beginning symptoms of altitude sickness. I lived in Flagstaff AZ for 40 years (7000ft) and while in sheep shape I ate Rolaids, the exertion involved with climbing and packing out even a boned elk can really get to you. You can do this, just be ready for anything that comes along. Good luck. GJ

A lot of good advice, I would add:

- Water, Water, Water. Drink more water than you think is humanly possible. Most folks that have a hard time with the altitude are more dehydrated than anything.

- Once you're in the 11,000'+ range, it's just difficult on the human body. Even when you live over 5000. Gradual ascent (as Dougfirtree mentioned) is the key, which is a bonus of driving versus flying, but sleeping at gradually ascending altitude is very helpful for acclimatization. If you can spend your first night @ 5000-6000 and then set camp @ 8000-ish, you'll be in much better shape than if you immediately set camp without spending a day down in the Front Range area.

- If you're generally concerned about your ability to spike in the backcountry, then don't. I think by asking that upfront, you've already answered your own question. And you're ahead of a lot of folks that just assume they can pack camp in to the elk and be fine having never done it before. You'll spend more time fussing with that part of the trip, and opening yourself to more physical and psychological discomfort which will take away from your hunting time. A truck-based base camp gives you a lot more room for error on the 'living' side. And more mobility. Treat the first trip as a scouting mission.

Not sure of your route, but there are places in Denver where you can rent a wall tent + stove for ~$200-300/week all in. Put aside a $20 bill a month apiece between now and the hunt and you've got a very comfortable camp.

This

Back