IIIIIIIMMMMMMM BACK

old man

It has been a while since i have been on this site and i know there are a few people who enjoy my post. So Evan though this last Elk hunt wasn't as event full as usual i will post it anyway.First off i actually had company this time around which would have made it a lot easier on me if i was fortunate, however i wasn't. The company i had with me was only able to come in late Oct after the snow storm they had in the west. From what we were told was that a lot of the Elk were killed during that time and what was left would be hard to find,Well they weren't at first, because the very first day we ran into a herd that evening while driving to our destination. HOWEVER my gun was still in the back of the truck somewhere and buy the time i got it and loaded it they were on there way. we did try to catch up with them but it was getting to dark. we tried to find them again for two days with no luck. By the way i was the only one with Elk tag, my new friend had a whitetail tag and his brother had a turkey tag.Other events that happend, didn't have a sling for riffle so had to use rope, cabella's scope stopped working so had to buy new leupole .lost part for tripod so had to buy new one, strap broke on friends brothers back pack. this is the worst of the trip, this old man and friends climbed a couple thousand feet to get to a good vantage point to glass and i liter y screwed it up. some how i notist a little something in the barrel of my gun so i cleaned it and opened the bolt to make sure the barrel was clear and when i closed the bolt i did not realize i was putting a round in the chamber so did not put safety on.( never again) well of course when i tried to put the riffle on my back some how it went off, thank GOD it was pointed in a safe direction. So that took care of that clime. We did not see another Elk in the 7 days we were there. my friend did get his deer and his bother had a shot at a turkey but missed. Going to Colorado this year.

Holy crap! Your hunting stories are always an adventure. Glad nobody got hurt. (y)

i thought you had left HT for awhile to practice breaking up your stories into digestable size paragraphs. Apparently not and been away for other reasons,😆 but welcome back all the same. Appreciate the unique way you can machine gun mini disasters one on top of another like it is all part of the hunt plan.

When you come to Colorado if you pass through glenwood let me know if you need anything...

LOL glad yer safe. I never had any of my guns discharge accidentally, but I did experience a situation on the rifle range in the Marine Corps where someone dropped their M-16 beside me and it discharged. Luckily for everyone, it was pointed down range but the guy responsible for it got kicked off the range.

It has been a while since i have been on this site and i know there are a few people who enjoy my post. So Evan though this last Elk hunt wasn't as event full as usual i will post it anyway.First off i actually had company this time around which would have made it a lot easier on me if i was fortunate, however i wasn't. The company i had with me was only able to come in late Oct after the snow storm they had in the west. From what we were told was that a lot of the Elk were killed during that time and what was left would be hard to find,Well they weren't at first, because the very first day we ran into a herd that evening while driving to our destination. HOWEVER my gun was still in the back of the truck somewhere and buy the time i got it and loaded it they were on there way. we did try to catch up with them but it was getting to dark. we tried to find them again for two days with no luck. By the way i was the only one with Elk tag, my new friend had a whitetail tag and his brother had a turkey tag.Other events that happend, didn't have a sling for riffle so had to use rope, cabella's scope stopped working so had to buy new leupole .lost part for tripod so had to buy new one, strap broke on friends brothers back pack. this is the worst of the trip, this old man and friends climbed a couple thousand feet to get to a good vantage point to glass and i liter y screwed it up. some how i notist a little something in the barrel of my gun so i cleaned it and opened the bolt to make sure the barrel was clear and when i closed the bolt i did not realize i was putting a round in the chamber so did not put safety on.( never again) well of course when i tried to put the riffle on my back some how it went off, thank GOD it was pointed in a safe direction. So that took care of that clime. We did not see another Elk in the 7 days we were there. my friend did get his deer and his bother had a shot at a turkey but missed. Going to Colorado this year.
Sounds terrifying and maybe you should change your username to "murphy's law". Anything that can go wrong will go wrong should be your moto.

Very interested to read some of your previous posts based on the veterans reaction to your return story.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, hopefully with less issues or at very least less life threatening issues.

Glad everyone is safe. With so many mishaps, maybe it's time to really think about practicing some hunter safety and basic woodsman skills? I'm not trying to sound mean or anything so I apologize if this does, but besides yourselves, there are a lot of other hunters, hikers, and other folks out there.

LOL glad yer safe. I never had any of my guns discharge accidentally, but I did experience a situation on the rifle range in the Marine Corps where someone dropped their M-16 beside me and it discharged. Luckily for everyone, it was pointed down range but the guy responsible for it got kicked off the range.
We had a zero one go vertical with an M79. A time I wished I was an ant. He went over to supply. Cheney shot his lawyer on a pheaseant hunt in SD. I let my wife shoot my carry pistol once.☠

I knew there was a reason I like to hunt alone. 🤯

Last edited:
Old man, when you stop to breathe as you type, hit the return key once in a awhile like the below....the same way you will now always put your gun on safety EVERY time you close the bolt cuz there ain’t no such thing as an unloaded gun. Ever. :

“It has been a while since i have been on this site and i know there are a few people who enjoy my post.

So Evan though this last Elk hunt wasn't as event full as usual i will post it anyway.First off i actually had company this time around which would have made it a lot easier on me if i was fortunate, however i wasn't. The company i had with me was only able to come in late Oct after the snow storm they had in the west. From what we were told was that a lot of the Elk were killed during that time and what was left would be hard to find,Well they weren't at first, because the very first day we ran into a herd that evening while driving to our destination. HOWEVER my gun was still in the back of the truck somewhere and buy the time i got it and loaded it they were on there way. we did try to catch up with them but it was getting to dark. we tried to find them again for two days with no luck.

By the way i was the only one with Elk tag, my new friend had a whitetail tag and his brother had a turkey tag.

Other events that happend, didn't have a sling for riffle so had to use rope, cabella's scope stopped working so had to buy new leupole .lost part for tripod so had to buy new one, strap broke on friends brothers back pack.

this is the worst of the trip, this old man and friends climbed a couple thousand feet to get to a good vantage point to glass and i liter y screwed it up. some how i notist a little something in the barrel of my gun so i cleaned it and opened the bolt to make sure the barrel was clear and when i closed the bolt i did not realize i was putting a round in the chamber so did not put safety on.( never again) well of course when i tried to put the riffle on my back some how it went off, thank GOD it was pointed in a safe direction. So that took care of that clime.

We did not see another Elk in the 7 days we were there. my friend did get his deer and his bother had a shot at a turkey but missed. Going to Colorado this year.”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back