If you only wanted one animal mounted, what would you choose?

Bighorn Ram!
I used to have a taxidermy business also, but it took away from my hunting and fishing so something had to give. I usually just do euros on my nice animals but I sure would mount an Argali, Marco Polo, Dall or Stone in addition to a Bighorn ram. Sheep are just beautiful!

Caribou.
The only one I'd get away with in our house would be an oryx. Would go above the stairwell. Such beautiful color variations that a euro wouldn't do it justice.

When we went to Africa in 2012, I got a really nice zebra stallion. I had them cape it so I could do a pedestal mount and kept the back skin of the cape to get tanned. I realized when we got home that I really don’t have room for a zebra pedestal and never got it mounted. The tanned back skin looks great draped over the electric fireplace. I always regret not getting the whole thing tanned or a flat skin like you mentioned.
Yes. If it was caped for a pedestal that didn't leave much for backskin. I won't shoot a zebra but if I ever did I would only have the backskin done.

I have two nice whitetail shoulder mounted and don't think I will do more. I like them, but space and fitting the decor is tough, and a euro works just as well for me.

I am thinking about a drake pintail. I know, it is a bird, not a mammal. But dang, those things are gorgeous.

View attachment 219483
That would be a good choice. Those colors shouldn't fade as much as some of the more gawdy birds. Only bird I would consider is blue goose. Show their backside especially.

I have to agree with @wllm1313. I love the look of euros and the only animal that the euro leaves a lot to be desired is the mountain got in my book. Should be getting mine back in the next couple months!
I have to agree. Goats don't make great euros. Pronghorn are also a bit of a challenge. Either the nose sticks straight out into the room or the horns do (also a problem with muley euros). Generally I prefer the naked look for euro mounts but pronghorn require a pedestal or angled platform.

Here's another critter that doesn't make a great euro. But shoulder mount isn't much improvement. 😄20220418_084730.jpg

Last edited:
I'd probably go with a Bighorn Ram or a very nice mule deer.

Seeing that the former is nowhere in sight for me, I'll hope for the mule deer lol.

I already have the one animal mounted I always wanted.

A white crow.

They are a 1 in a million rarity but the odds of actually killing another one would be 1 in 100 million or more.

And I could care less if I ever got anything else mounted in the rest of my life.

Copy of Copy of IMG_0405.JPG

Been a taxidermist for 47 years now and I am downsizing. Very tough to let go of some mounts. Adding to the problem is that I'm still collecting and still have projects in the freezer.
As far as adding a new shoulder mount the only one that really inspires me is a Sitka Blacktail in winter coat. The rest of future game heads will have to be Euros.
My most prized shoulder mount is my Tule Elk.

I have a small house and a wife who is skeptical of hunting trophies. So far I have a Turkey tail fan and a euro of my first buck on the walls. She is coming around and even asked me to do a euro of a duck and a goose for her High School biology classroom.

But I don't think I'll ever do a hair on shoulder mount. Might do a hair on deer hide for over the back of the couch. Will definitely do a hair on hide for any coyote I ever shoot.

Back