Caribou Gear Tarp

If you only wanted one animal mounted, what would you choose?

We are taking a trip to Africa this summer and I told my son exactly that. He could pick one animal to get a shoulder mount of. He didn’t spend more than a second thinking about it and very confidently said that if he gets a zebra that’s the animal he would like to get shoulder mounted. His theory was that a zebra isn’t going to make a very impressive euro mount. If I get a zebra I plan on doing a “flat skin” of it.

I didn’t say I was going to limit myself to one shoulder mount and am having a hard time deciding if I get a kudu and a sable which one I would get a shoulder mount of. Might depend on which is the more impressive between the two. It also may end up being both.

Of the mounts that I have, I probably like my elk pedestal mount the best followed closely by my full body mountain goat. I do have a mule deer and pronghorn mounted and am happy with them too. Have a smaller elk that was my first 6x6 mounted and it is a pretty mount and at the time I didn’t know if I would ever shoot a bigger one so I don’t regret it. Still haven’t shot a whitetail that I thought was worth getting a shoulder mount done on.

And a big ass black wolf hat like native American paint my face pitch Black red strip across my eyes for when the time comes we got to start taking scalp's from these people ruining this country. My Purge outfit LOL stay the out of Idaho pretty please cherry on top keep having supply chain issues I have to start protecting my deer lol

If I had the space (I don’t) and the luck (maybe someday) to ever take a truly mature / trophy elk, I’d imagine a full body mount as my #1. Something about them just puts me in awe. As it is, I only have 1 whitetail and 1 pronghorn mount done for the wall and banished by the Mrs. to my little 10x12 “hunting room”. 🤣

We are taking a trip to Africa this summer and I told my son exactly that. He could pick one animal to get a shoulder mount of. He didn’t spend more than a second thinking about it and very confidently said that if he gets a zebra that’s the animal he would like to get shoulder mounted. His theory was that a zebra isn’t going to make a very impressive euro mount. If I get a zebra I plan on doing a “flat skin” of it.

I didn’t say I was going to limit myself to one shoulder mount and am having a hard time deciding if I get a kudu and a sable which one I would get a shoulder mount of. Might depend on which is the more impressive between the two. It also may end up being both.

Of the mounts that I have, I probably like my elk pedestal mount the best followed closely by my full body mountain goat. I do have a mule deer and pronghorn mounted and am happy with them too. Have a smaller elk that was my first 6x6 mounted and it is a pretty mount and at the time I didn’t know if I would ever shoot a bigger one so I don’t regret it. Still haven’t shot a whitetail that I thought was worth getting a shoulder mount done on.
When we went to Africa in 2012, I got a really nice zebra stallion. I had them cape it so I could do a pedestal mount and kept the back skin of the cape to get tanned. I realized when we got home that I really don’t have room for a zebra pedestal and never got it mounted. The tanned back skin looks great draped over the electric fireplace. I always regret not getting the whole thing tanned or a flat skin like you mentioned.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back