Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

If you drive around the west without mudflaps

Ouch, I couldn't make that drive. That's why 83 is so busy now.

She hated it. I hated that my Jeep got 110k miles put on it. The Cummins went buhbye and she got a 16 Cherokee... which also has a crack but from VA.

The mudflaps on my Tacoma kept getting ripped off on the trail. Ended up loosening the fender flare as well. My current truck didnt come with them. I do wish they'd make some low profile ones to catch some tire ejections without getting hung on obstacles. Seems they think it's an all or nothing type thing.

Same deal here, my flaps kept getting ripped off on rocks / boulders on trails. I’d like to run them and would encourage others to do so, they’re just not functional for the type of driving I get into.

Just gotta buddy up to some one who does the chip seal or windshield replacement that will give it to a guy at cost. Not sure I’ve ever paid more than $80 for a new windshield. I’d really hate to foot the bill for one of those lane departure windshield that are running upwards of a grand now a days. But on the other hand I’ll only replace them if they obstruct my line of sight.

You really don't need mud-flaps.
Got a rock into a new windshield last month from a car.
The worse tires to throw rocks are the soft snow tires and states that use rocks to sand roads. Oregon is the worst state for that.
The best time to replace windshields is in the spring after sand/plow season.

Mt law requires a mudflap within 8 inches to the ground. I don't think it is heavily enforced.
I once was pulled over for a minor speeding violation and the officer let me go with a promise that I would install mud flaps on my pickup with bumper 10 " off the pavement. He even measured it to show me. Mud flaps were installed. It was a positive and a learning experience with a practical and respectful LE officer.

If you are serious about controling rock/sand damage on your trailer, I favor mud flaps in your wheel wells and another set of broad truck flaps mounted off your bumper or trailer hitch. The second one controls the bouncing rocks. Do I have that? No! I have older trailers and paint them with Hercules or bed liner (thick stuff) in the abraision zone on the front of the trailer. Speed is not a factor on most of the roads I travel.

Here is the Law in Montana​

Montana Code Annotated 2019​

TITLE 61. MOTOR VEHICLES​

CHAPTER 9. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT​

Part 4. Miscellaneous Regulations​

Fenders, Splash Aprons, Or Flaps Required On Certain Vehicles -- Dimension And Location​

61-9-407. Fenders, splash aprons, or flaps required on certain vehicles -- dimension and location. (1) A person may not move, or permit to be moved, a vehicle, except a motorcycle, quadricycle, motor-driven cycle, or farm tractor, as defined in this title, upon the public highways without having first equipped the rearmost wheels or set of wheels of the vehicle with fenders, splash aprons, or flaps. The fenders, splash aprons, or flaps must be designed, constructed, and attached to the vehicle in a manner that arrests and deflects dirt, mud, water, rocks, and other substances that may be picked up by the rear wheels of the vehicle and thrown into the air, as follows:
(a) If the vehicle is equipped with fenders, the fenders must extend in full width from a point above and forward of the center of the tire or tires over and to the rear of the tires.
(b) If the vehicle is equipped with splash aprons or flaps, the splash aprons or flaps must extend downward in full width from a point not lower than halfway between the center of the tire or tires and the top of the tire or tires and to the rear of the tires.
(c) If the vehicle is in excess of 8,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or rating, the fenders, splash aprons, or flaps must extend downward to a point that is not more than 10 inches above the surface of the highway when the vehicle is empty.
(d) If the vehicle is 8,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight or rating, the fenders, splash aprons, or flaps must extend downward to a point that is not more than 20 inches above the surface of the highway when the vehicle is empty.
(2) Fenders, splash aprons, or flaps, as used in subsection (1), must be constructed as follows:
(a) when measured on the cross-sections of the tread of the wheel or on the combined cross-sections of the treads of multiple wheels, the fender, splash apron, or flap extends at least to each side of the width of the tire or of the combined width of the multiple tires; and
(b) the fender, splash apron, or flap is capable at all times of arresting and deflecting dirt, mud, water, or other substance that may be picked up and carried by the wheel or wheels.
(3) This section does not apply to a street rod as defined in 61-1-101, motor vehicles not originally equipped with fenders, splash aprons, or flaps, or motor vehicles for which fenders, splash aprons, or flaps were not required by federal law or regulation at the time of manufacture.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 286, L. 1969; R.C.M. 1947, 32-21-149.1(a), (b); amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 65, L. 1987; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 791, L. 1991; amd. Sec. 30, Ch. 431, L. 1997; amd. Sec. 7, Ch. 458, L. 2005.

The addition of mud flaps to any vehicle is proof of old age. Kinda like wearing a one piece jumpsuit instead of wearing a shirt and pants.

I run factory mudflaps but I will mention they've been nearly ripped off a few times. I have a tacoma with mud terrains and when you're wheeling over stuff the mudflaps get hung up and tear off. If you ask on the tacoma forums they'll tell you to immediately remove them. Maybe some aftermarket ones would be more durable?

Someone needs to design a catapult for bumper mounted cow catcher so I can throw rocks back at asswipes with jacked up trucks and no mudflaps. I got whacked twice this fall by grain haulers on the highway but they had flaps and at least try to prevent it. Stupid punks in their flapless trucks just don't give a shit. Seemed to be a lot of that going around in maskless Montana this fall. It's certainly not the same place I grew up in.

I run factory mudflaps but I will mention they've been nearly ripped off a few times. I have a tacoma with mud terrains and when you're wheeling over stuff the mudflaps get hung up and tear off. If you ask on the tacoma forums they'll tell you to immediately remove them. Maybe some aftermarket ones would be more durable?
Yeah, those custom fit jobs are usually too stiff for off road use. Meant to keep the soccer mom's vehicle clean taking the kids to school. The generic cut to fit stuff is usually more flexible ... but less attractive. 1980 bull.JPG

I guess the gravel in wy is larger because of the wind. I have had two windshields sandblasted. If you have ever had this happen it sucks.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back